Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 day old import P85D crashed while using TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove from LA to MD to NY to LA and virtually ALWAYS used TACC. Zero problems IF you understand the limitations of the system.
If not tested/intended for city/traffic it is so simple to disable it with the speed below 45mph or so, do not confuse give false impression that will work in any situation. I wonder how many Tesla owners read whole manual? Option is also confusing it is sold as Autopilot, but it is not, it is just fancy CC.

edit
Please, please pay attention all time and in that case you will not need TACC, and this topic won't be necessary. If ready for every driver either reading whole manual or just few pages start selling this option but as TACC, not Autopilot do not confuse

Last edited:
If not tested/intended for city/traffic it is so simple to disable it with the speed below 45mph or so, do not confuse give false impression that will work in any situation. I wonder how many Tesla owners read whole manual? Option is also confusing it is sold as Autopilot, but it is not, it is just fancy CC.

edit
Please, please pay attention all time and in that case you will not need TACC, and this topic won't be necessery.

How about this: you can not use it, and the rest of us can do as we please in an informed manner.

edit
Please, please pay attention all time and in that case you will not need TACC, and this topic won't be necessery.

People like to use TACC while paying attention all the time. The issue of whether it is necessary is not relevant. CC is not necessary but it makes driving better for a lot of people.

Just because some people don't follow instructions doesn't mean that we must all be subjected to the lowest common denominator by taking away helpful features that just require a little common sense.

I will not use TACC because I do not have it, but this whole thing is confusing starting from name Autopilot Convenience Features, but is just TACC, nowhere close to autopilot - system used to control the trajectory of a vehicle without constant 'hands-on' control by a human operator being required. No wonder that Tesla owners are confused as in provided examples and unfortunately that is not a nonsense.

I will not use TACC because I do not have it, but this whole thing is confusing starting from name Autopilot Convenience Features, but is just TACC, nowhere close to autopilot -[FONT=arial, sans-serif] system used to control the trajectory of a vehicle without constant 'hands-on' control by a human operator being required. No wonder that people are confused as in provided examples and unfortunately that is not a nonsense.[/FONT]

So you think people are turning on TACC then taking their hands off the steering wheel and accelerator then? If you think people are confusing TACC with true autopilot then that's what they would be doing. That's not what happened here. He turned on TACC and thought it was some strange hybrid of the two and didn't pay attention.

First, I'll note that I did not read this entire thread.

While any accident sucks, a few points about this one (OP):

• This accident is the driver's fault. Period. The driver is responsible at all times.
  • You should never expect the car to perform a safety related action and should always be monitoring the actions of the car.
    • I personally brake and ignore TACC immediately when I feel it isn't braking as I would, either not soon enough or fast enough and have likely avoided collisions that would have otherwise occurred if I had just let the car continue to plow forward.
  • TACC does not immediately detect vehicles ahead, and takes even longer to do so for stationary vehicles or vehicles traveling much slower in front when it doesn't already have a lock on the vehicle ahead.
  • TACC limitations are pretty clearly described in the owner's manual.
  • The emergency automatic braking system is NOT designed to *prevent* collisions, only reduce them when possible and unavoidable.
    • This system relies on the same vehicle/object recognition as TACC. If TACC didn't slow down because it hadn't recognized what's ahead, neither will the auto braking.
  • TACC is not designed for use on surface streets. It's really for highway use. Completely relying on it to come to a stop behind a car at a red light is just pure laziness, reckless, and quite frankly a bit stupid.

It's people blaming the car for these types of things that are going to cause issues with the rollout of the more advanced autopilot features. If the car rear ends someone while using TACC it's because you weren't paying attention. End of story. If you weren't prepared to brake then you were not using the system appropriately and safely. As the driver, you should immediately know exactly when the car should normally be slowing for a car ahead, and if it is not you perform that crucial action.

So, while any accident taking out a Model S sucks, I don't really have any sympathy whatsoever because the driver is trying to blame TACC, sorry. Take responsibility for your screw up and move on.

I will not use TACC because I do not have it, but this whole thing is confusing starting from name Autopilot Convenience Features, but is just TACC, nowhere close to autopilot - system used to control the trajectory of a vehicle without constant 'hands-on' control by a human operator being required. No wonder that Tesla owners are confused as in provided examples and unfortunately that is not a nonsense.

TACC is a completely different system from Collision Avoidance, and is not designed to prevent collisions into stationary objects or cars. Its just designed to follow,keep distance and speed with the target car. People keep confusing the TACC or car has having Collision Avoidance. And right now the car does not have Collision Avoidance, only Collision Warning.

I don't think it has been posted here yet, but in the owner's manual it states that TACC isn't a Collision Avoidance system.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is for guidance purposes only and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is the driver's responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets due to inevitably changing traffic conditions and the presence of bicycles and pedestrians.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control has limited ability to detect vehicles merging into your lane at close distances.

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road conditions.

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) make it unsuitable to drive at a consistent speed. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road and driving conditions

This situation had a lot of warning signs that should have told the driver not to just trust everything. Here are some off the top of my head from reading the story:

1. Bought through a middleman.
2. Foreign country.
3. Different signs/input that the software wouldn't necessarily recognize for what they are.
4. Family in the car, including a pregnant wife.
5. New car with new features that the driver is not used to.

I'm certain there are a lot more than just those but any one of them would give me enough reason to thoroughly test everything about the car before I got into the situation as described. Tesla is far down the list of being at fault in this situation.

As far as I'm concerned, TACC is simply a convenience to avoid having to tap the brakes or disengage cruise control with the steering column switch, in order to avoid running up the bumper of a car traveling ahead in your lane slower than you. It's intended to reduce the number of times you have to engage and disengage cruise control when traveling in traffic. It's not going to drive for you and it's not going to take the place of your own situational awareness. Expecting more of it would be extremely unwise.

I think that everyone is up in arms about the fact that TACC is called an "Autopilot convenience feature" which is confusing users.

First of all, Autopilot is just a name that Tesla has given to their driver assist functionality. It's just an umbrella term that Tesla chose. And Tesla has made it clear that Autopilot != Autonomous Driving.

Autopilot on airliners is pretty much a fancy cruise control. It's so that the pilot doesn't have to hold onto the flight controls (joystick, rudders, yoke, etc) on long 13+ hour flights. All it does is that it holds speed, heading, altitude, and a few other minor functions (such as rate of ascent/descent). Just like cruise control on any car, it just holds a few variables constant (in TACC's case, speed and distance relative to the car in front). I've heard some folks mentioning "Autolanding". That is kind of misleading. It's not that a pilot just puts an airport into a nav computer and sits back while the plane brings it down onto the ground safely. The proper term is called an ILS approach (ILS stands for Instrument Landing System). It essentially is the computer using beacons on the ground to align itself with the runway and guiding the plane's descent at an optimal glide slope on final approach for landing. When the aircraft is close to the runway, the pilot guides it precisely to successfully complete the landing.

Autopilot is just assisting the pilot with the flight, not doing it for them. And there are certain conditions where Autopilot will disengage (usually due to weather) so that the pilot has to assume manual control. That's where Tesla came up with the term Autopilot, to acknowledge that the systems are just assisting the driver with their long journey, but the driver maintaining conscious awareness of what the computer is doing at all times and ready to intervene if things don't seem right.

Now just like the Asiana accident in SF, some pilots are becoming too complacent with the technologies and are forgetting basic flight knowledge to manually override the system if necessary. If the driver becomes overly dependent on these systems and start getting distracted, when the system is failing or doing an inadequate job and the driver fails to intervene to take corrective actions, it results in an accident. (*NOTE: not directed at OP or his friend, just speaking in general. Just a topic that comes up very frequently and should be clarified.) That's not to say that the fault lies with the computer, it is always the responsibility of the pilot. The NTSB isn't going after Boeing's system, the blame was placed on the pilots.

The final report into the crash was released on June 24, 2014. The NTSB found that the "Mismanagement of Approach and Inadequate Monitoring of Airspeed Led to Crash of Asiana flight 214". The NTSB determined that the flight crew mismanaged the initial approach and that the airplane was well above the desired glidepath. In response the captain selected an inappropriate autopilot mode, which without the captain's awareness, resulted in the autothrottle no longer controlling airspeed. The aircraft then descended below the desired glide path with the crew unaware of the decreasing airspeed. The attempted go-around was conducted below 100 ft by which time it was too late. Over-reliance on automation and lack of systems understanding by the pilots were cited as major factors contributing to the accident.

Therefore, in this case the TACC functionality was used in a manner that it was not designed for. It's like using a stove to heat your home. While it may work technically and you may get lucky where it does work temporarily without causing issues, doing so repeatedly is playing Russian roulette is hazardous to your life. Even if this happened on a freeway, it would ultimately be the user's fault for failure to intervene, although Tesla would in that case have to investigate what went wrong. But the fault is with the user.

So folks, when using TACC or eventually lane assist, be sure to be paying attention at all times. Don't start texting , playing around with the touchscreen, eating, applying makeup, practicing your saxaphone, etc. Always be alert and be the supervisor to what the computer is doing. And be ready to intervene at any time. If the car behaves in a way that you yourself wouldn't have done and it feels off, take control and be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
  • The emergency automatic braking system is NOT designed to *prevent* collisions, only reduce them when possible and unavoidable.

Next thing, Tesla will be adding Beta signs in their manuals, just as Google does with their services.

Tesla's Emergency Braking System has been reported by users that it does indeed bring the vehicle to a full stop. But I feel that Tesla only says this to cover their butts if the vehicle is unable to stop in time due to rain, snow, technical reason, space between cars, etc.

Mercedes describes their system in the same manner:
https://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-1210220-1-1210348-1-0-0-1210338-0-0-135-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE Brake

An eye on the road ahead: Automated response to stopped traffic.

Even a moment of driver distraction can have life-changing results. With DISTRONIC PLUS, advanced radar sensors vigilantly scan traffic ahead for stopped or slowing traffic. If the system senses that a collision is imminent, its PRE-SAFE Brake feature automatically initiates up to 40% braking power, audibly alerts the driver, and engages the PRE-SAFE system. When the driver brakes, 100% braking pressure is instantly applied. And should the driver fail to respond, the system can apply full braking on its own, serving as an "electronic crumple zone" to help reduce the intensity of a collision.

PRE-SAFE[SUP]®[/SUP] Brake: The Anticipatory Brake In the event of an impending rear-end collision, PRE-SAFE[SUP]®[/SUP] Brake prompts the driver to take action by means of visual and acoustic signals. When an impending rear-end collision is identified, the innovative PRE-SAFE[SUP]®[/SUP] Brake system prompts the driver to take action by means of visual and acoustic signals.

If the driver still fails to react, the PRE-SAFE[SUP]®[/SUP] Brake is able to initiate emergency braking shortly before the now unavoidable collision, thereby substantially reducing the severity of impact. PRE-SAFE[SUP]®[/SUP] Brake and BAS PLUS Brake Assist work together here. These two assistance systems form part of the DISTRONIC PLUS adaptive cruise control package.

And Volvo (Trucks): Error

The Collision Warning with Emergency Brake takes this one step further. It automatically assists you in emergency braking if an impact is imminent, thus significantly reducing the risk of severe injuries.

VW: City Emergency Braking : Volkswagen UK

The City Emergency Braking system is an innovative collision avoiding technology.Automatically activated at speeds under 18mph, it uses a laser sensor to detect the risk of an impending collision and automatically primes the brakes to make them more sensitive.
If the driver does not brake and a collision is imminent then the system applies them automatically.
Depending on speed and situation, City Emergency Braking can reduce accident severity and even avoid a crash

BMW: BMW i3 : Safety
The collision warning warns about imminent rear-end collisions in due time. And the city collision warning with braking function feature for pedestrians helps to prevent accidents from occurring with pedestrians and minimises the risk of passenger injury in an emergency. The braking functions can help avoid or reduce the impact of accidents that occur when travelling at city speed limits.

Quoting EURO NCAP here: Euro NCAP | Autonomous Emergency Braking

AEB systems improve safety in two ways: firstly, they help to avoid accidents by identifying critical situations early and warning the driver; and secondly they reduce the severity of crashes which cannot be avoided by lowering the speed of collision and, in some cases, by preparing the vehicle and restraint systems for impact.
Most AEB systems use radar, (stereo) camera and/or lidar-based technology to identify potential collision partners ahead of the car. This information is combined with what the car knows of its own travel speed and trajectory to determine whether or not a critical situation is developing. If a potential collision is detected, AEB systems generally (though not exclusively) first try to avoid the impact by warning the driver that action is needed. If no action is taken and a collision is still expected, the system will then apply the brakes. Some systems apply full braking force, others an elevated level. Either way, the intention is to reduce the speed with which the collision takes place. Some systems deactivate as soon as they detect avoidance action being taken by the driver

Last edited:
If he *really* believes the system was working improperly, he can feel free to try to sue Tesla. He will lose, and in the process lose a whole bunch of additional legal fees. Not only that, but I'm willing to bet Tesla has logs from the vehicle showing that it was behaving as expected.

A lot of people are suggesting he should not sue and will loose but I suspect a lot of people are making that judgement call as if this accident happened in their own jurisdiction. Now, I don't know Turkey's legal system at all but why would it be totally out of the question that Tesla has some legal responsibility under Turkish law?

A lot of people are suggesting he should not sue and will loose but I suspect a lot of people are making that judgement call as if this accident happened in their own jurisdiction. Now, I don't know Turkey's legal system at all but why would it be totally out of the question that Tesla has some legal responsibility under Turkish law?

mostly because he imported the car. Tesla didn't sell it to him in Turkey for use in Turkey. He could sue, and maybe Turkish courts would favor him (I doubt it but there might be a tiny possibility) but there is no way to extract judgment from Tesla and Tesla has no motivation to comply.