Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 days / 100 miles to address cosmetic issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 yesterday. I brought up a couple of cosmetic issues, and he told me they would need to be addressed by service. He also mentioned that I have 3 days / 100 miles to report any cosmetic or similar issues, which I never heard of before. It was around dinner time when we wrapping things up, my son was hungry, so my plan was to bring it in the next day to discuss these issues with service.

Today my family and I were driving home from visiting relatives, and I called the Tesla store to get clarification on this 3 day / 100 mile policy. Come to find out the service department was closed, and driving the rest of the way home would take me over 100 miles.

Does anyone know more about this policy? Will I not be able to get my couple cosmetic issues fixed because I'm past 100 miles?

I took delivery of my Model 3 yesterday. I brought up a couple of cosmetic issues, and he told me they would need to be addressed by service. He also mentioned that I have 3 days / 100 miles to report any cosmetic or similar issues, which I never heard of before. It was around dinner time when we wrapping things up, my son was hungry, so my plan was to bring it in the next day to discuss these issues with service.

Today my family and I were driving home from visiting relatives, and I called the Tesla store to get clarification on this 3 day / 100 mile policy. Come to find out the service department was closed, and driving the rest of the way home would take me over 100 miles.

Does anyone know more about this policy? Will I not be able to get my couple cosmetic issues fixed because I'm past 100 miles?

I have never seen that policy in writing. I would say it is very loosely enforced at the discretion of the service manager. You should inspect the car thoroughly prior to signing any paperwork and document any issues you want them to fix prior to taking delivery. You need to get Tesla to agree in writing to what they are willing to fix as some things are going to be “within spec” and as such Tesla will not do anything about them.

Paint is always a trouble area. The fix could be touch up paint, or it could be sanding and buffing, or even repainting an entire body panel. When bumpers need to be painted the paint often does not match. Sometimes they will replace a bumper but not always.

But the best way to avoid this is to inspect the car thoroughly before signing any paperwork. If the car has issues that really bother you it’s generally best to just ask for a different VIN, or at least get a written due bill of things they will fix for you. Doing this after delivery may or may not go smoothly.

...So the normal Tesla warranty doesn't cover cosmetic issues?

No, technically, the new car warranty does not cover paint scratches once you left the delivery lot. You are on your own.

The problem with the cosmetic issue is how can you prove that it happened while in Tesla's possession?

Once you drove off the parking lot, how can you prove that you didn't cause a stain in the interior?

Once you drove off the parking lot, how can you prove that you didn't cause a scratch on the paint?

Once you drove off the parking lot, how can you prove that you didn't cause a crack on the glass?

If Tesla is nice and wants to improve public relations, it should cover the defects even you didn't notice during the delivery at least during the 7 day refundable period. But no, they don't have to fix any if there's no proof that they delivered you a cosmetically defect one.

On mine, we (the person handling the delivery and myself) noted the issues with the paint at delivery. Both he and I took a number of pictures and the delivery was contingent on the paint getting fixed. A few weeks after I got the car, they took it for about three weeks to fix the problems. They gave me a $100k Model X 100D, so I didn’t mind at all! Delivery was in August ‘18 and the paint was fixed in September/October of that year.

I’d recommend taking a bunch of pictures, with your finger pointing at the problem spot or some other way of identifying it if possible and emailing them to the delivery person as soon as possible. I’m attaching an example of how the delivery person recommended indicating an issue.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 6D4F05E6-0900-4FB5-95F8-B01B0669EFE5.jpeg
    6D4F05E6-0900-4FB5-95F8-B01B0669EFE5.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 775
My Delivery Advisor informed me that I had 72 hours to report problems when taking delivery at Carlsbad, CA last night.

I had about 30 minutes to inspect the car inside the warehouse before completing docs. They said I could continue the inspection outside in the dark if I desired, but I was covered for 72 hours against defects. It was a rushed experience.

I had the same situation as Vaillant. Scratches near the wheel well. They disclosed it before I even arrived, and sent pictures, before I arrived.

I inspected the rest of the car, and it was good to go. They also agreed to fix the issue, after delivery. They also took mine for a few days, and fixed it right up.

Agree on taking pictures, and following up. I’m sure this 72 hour deal, is due to the extremely high volume of deliveries, and lack of time to allow you to properly inspect the car.

I hope you enjoy your new car, and welcome to the family!

On mine, we (the person handling the delivery and myself) noted the issues with the paint at delivery. Both he and I took a number of pictures and the delivery was contingent on the paint getting fixed. A few weeks after I got the car, they took it for about three weeks to fix the problems. They gave me a $100k Model X 100D, so I didn’t mind at all! Delivery was in August ‘18 and the paint was fixed in September/October of that year.

I’d recommend taking a bunch of pictures, with your finger pointing at the problem spot or some other way of identifying it if possible and emailing them to the delivery person as soon as possible. I’m attaching an example of how the delivery person recommended indicating an issue.

Good luck!

was it a Tesla body shop or third party that did the repainting and did it turn out fine? I’m gonna need some panels repainted too but I’m afraid it won’t be the same... I don’t wanna make things worse. Ooh I want a sweet rental too lol.

@IamMark They don’t do due billl? I took delivery last night and my DA took pictures and documented all the things to be fixed, panels to be repainted and he said many times that they created a due bill for all the panels that need repainting... although I didn’t get any paperwork at all on delivery but........ I trust it’s there, he just said I need to make a service appointments get things fixed.

I can't get the app to work for me. It keeps generating an error every single time I try to schedule an appointment.

This has been true for me since taking delivery as well. Tried force closing app, re-logging in, etc. Sometimes it errors when loading the issue list, sometimes it errors when confirming all appointment details. Either way, haven’t been able to get one scheduled.

This has been true for me since taking delivery as well. Tried force closing app, re-logging in, etc. Sometimes it errors when loading the issue list, sometimes it errors when confirming all appointment details. Either way, haven’t been able to get one scheduled.
Perhaps their server is loaded with people trying to use the feature. With all of the new cars, and the numerous folks that couldn’t completely look over their cars, might be loaded.

Congrats on your new cars though, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have since March!

welcome to the club!

Did you guys recently get your cars?

Perhaps their server is loaded with people trying to use the feature. With all of the new cars, and the numerous folks that couldn’t completely look over their cars, might be loaded.

Congrats on your new cars though, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have since March!

welcome to the club!

Just took delivery yesterday, but already at 65 miles... so hoping to schedule soon if this cutoff is real!