Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 days and 500kms review in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's now day 3 and 500kms with my Model S in Hong Kong and here are some thoughts for those searching this forum to see if they should buy a Tesla.

Quick answer: YES. There's really a Model S for any budget from the 70 to P90D. I think some people go "wah" when they go to the showroom and see the P85D's price tag and go "but I thought the media were saying you can get one for under 800k???".

Interesting/critical things for my experience so far:
- Coming from a Japanese car with the signal control on the right stalk, I've already accidentally shifted the car into neutral 4 times when I was trying to make a right turn signal... the gear selector reacts fast enough so that I put it back into D as soon as I realized I wasn't signaling. A bit unnerving but I can't blame the car for that; it's me who has to adjust to the layout I guess. So if you're coming from a Japanese or car with right stalk as turn signal controls, just mentally adjust yourself as much as possible before driving.

- Power; everything the youtube videos demonstrated are true. Any suspicion that I had those were paid actors by Tesla was laid to rest when I put it into Insane and secured my son in his Recaro child seat. My wife is starting to get pissed off at me for doing it without telling her from every stop light, every toll booth LOL

- All that power means the tires gets chewed up. The funny thing is when I washed it, I noticed the dust on the wheels weren't the usual brake dust but they were tire dust! Same thing on the back of my car; I have the Pearl White and the tire dust really shows....

- About brakes, the regen braking takes a day or so to get used to for me. But I'm loving the economy of almost never using the brakes until he last few feet at the traffic lights. Also means the wheels are relatively clean from brake dust as mentioned in the last point.

- Charging; what every potential owner like me was wondering. So far I have visited:
- Science Park: Friday 3pm (no line up), Saturday 10pm (I took the last spot and there was 1 Tesla behind me who had to wait 5 minutes for someone to leave), Monday 6:45am (no line up)
- Cyberport: Friday 8pm (I was next in line with another Tesla behind me, I waited 3 minutes before heading off to Repulse Bay The Pulse; I suspect a spot would have opened up within 10minutes)
- The Pulse Repulse Bay: Friday 8:30pm (no line up), Sunday 8:15am (no line up)
Mind you I always had at least 200km of range (I know I know, not good for charging etiquette but there wasn't any line ups), and there's always the government/private EV chargers at other parking lots. So really charging, is NOT an issue for me at all.

- The A pillars on the car is really thick... I've leaned into the car twice and hit my head twice already LOL

- The sun can get pretty hot from the big front windscreen and windows. I will be doing tinting on it soon.

- Remote app is interesting; the AC control is nice and I bet would be nicer if the weather was hotter

- 21" staggered wheels; completely unexpected in how well it rides! If it was just comfort alone, I wouldn't imagine I would NEED to change out to 20 or 19" with higher profile tires.

DSC_1575.JPG
DSC_1581.JPG
DSC_1582.JPG
DSC_1586.JPG
DSC_1598.JPG
DSC_1604.JPG
DSC_1611.JPG
DSC_1612.JPG
DSC_1640.JPG

@Titus, nice report. I assume you don't have home charging, are you still working on it or it's a complete NO NO, just curious!

The left hand signal stalk still gets me from time to time, especially at exit to roundabout. I do worry that the sudden lost of power will get someone kissing me at the back :-(

On the wheels, at lot of people said 21" is too bumpy unless you ride only on highway quality roads ...?!

Coming from a Japanese car with the signal control on the right stalk, I've already accidentally shifted the car into neutral 4 times when I was trying to make a right turn signal... the gear selector reacts fast enough so that I put it back into D as soon as I realized I wasn't signaling. A bit unnerving but I can't blame the car for that; it's me who has to adjust to the layout I guess. So if you're coming from a Japanese or car with right stalk as turn signal controls, just mentally adjust yourself as much as possible before driving.

I've discovered the simplest solution to this issue is to only drive Teslas :biggrin: ! The Roadster and Model S stalk arrangement is the same.

@Titus, nice report. I assume you don't have home charging, are you still working on it or it's a complete NO NO, just curious!

The left hand signal stalk still gets me from time to time, especially at exit to roundabout. I do worry that the sudden lost of power will get someone kissing me at the back :-(

On the wheels, at lot of people said 21" is too bumpy unless you ride only on highway quality roads ...?!

It's a complete no; I live at a village house but my parking spot is like 50 meters away. I COULD theoretically persuade the village elder to approve me burying a cable or put those plastic cable protector ramps (it has to cross the path of a drive way), but after using the Superchargers, I don't think the lack of home charging in Hong Kong is an issue. If the Superchargers become clogged as more and more people get Teslas, I think the CLP/government chargers/Destination charging would be enough to handle my need.

Well I won't say the 21" rides like a S class or something but "for a 21"" the ride is more than reasonable (my wife has a SLK with Bilstein B16s and that thing is jarring to ride but handles like it's on rails; I was afraid the Model S would be riding like that). And besides, we live in Hong Kong, 90% of the roads are highway quality IMO haha =P

An update on my windshield washer problem, so I called tech support twice yesterday first time to report the problem, second time to confirm if I need to be the one calling service dept or they will call me. They told me they will be the one calling me but I've yet to hear back... I happened to talked to the delivery rep again and she said that Mondays are usually swamped in the service dept and to be honest windshield washer problem is low on their "triage"...

The salesperson had told me the BS1363 adapter cables are in stock but then when I picked up the car, it is out of stock... I messaged him if I should go back to parts and order it and didn't get replies...

If it wasn't Tesla and I understand they are dealing with a lot rolling out in HK with a new team, I'd have bitten heads off by now if it was Lexus or BMW LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I just discovered a new storage place (we need more!) last night haha
DSC_1656.JPG

Day 6 and this morning I realized I don't need to warm up the car before pedal to the metal LOL
With my gasoline car before, I usually try not to go full or sharp throttle for the first 2km (I come right onto a 80kph highway from where I live). But then I realized now I can just floor it and keep up with traffic first thing in the morning without any bad feelings about the car hahaha

That and also there's no break-in/run-in period for the Model S (or is there? The posts I can find says we don't) which is nice