Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 days left to decide.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 60 in order and have 3 days left to make any changes. Here is what I am contemplating.

Swap pano ordered for All glass roof?

Upgrade to 60D? Is there a big difference with dual motors? I am a dad in my late thirties so speeding around is not my thing.

I confirmed my order last weekend, but on Saturday I went to the Tesla showroom to ask if I could swap to the All Glass from the Pano that I had ordered. I went with Pano for the headroom, the All Glass offers that but also looks better and will give less trouble. I don't think I'll ever use a roof rack - expensive and fiddly to mount - and would rarely open the sliding roof part.

Mine is a 60D. I briefly considered RWD only version but knew I'd regret it. Not often, but sometimes. Be aware that the front motor does make a slight whine under hard acceleration, similar to that of a turbo-charger in ICE car.

The D isn't much faster, but it is a bit more efficient, and allows the car to control traction all round which is ultimately safer.

I bought inventory 75 recently and I do have a few regrets. Wish I had a pano roof but now with all glass I would have gotten that one. Looks great and no issues that pano people have. However if you want satellite radio you need pano. I have been using sat radio for several years now so I definitely miss it.

As for D. I test drove a D and really liked it. I don't miss it but I know it's better and safer and would be useful in snow conditions but I don't encounter that often.

I bought inventory 75 recently and I do have a few regrets. Wish I had a pano roof but now with all glass I would have gotten that one. Looks great and no issues that pano people have. However if you want satellite radio you need pano. I have been using sat radio for several years now so I definitely miss it.

As for D. I test drove a D and really liked it. I don't miss it but I know it's better and safer and would be useful in snow conditions but I don't encounter that often.

Have you tried using Bluetooth to stream Sirius through your phone?

I did the same. I have a couple days left to make any changes. Living in Minnesota where we have 6 months of snowy weather, I decided to go with the 60D. I also opted for the all-glass, and AP2.0, plus the blue color.

As 40-something, I'm also not used to spending money. This decision took me literally months to come to grip with spending north of 70k on a car. The most expensive car I've ever bought was a new chevy pickup in 1998 for $24,000, and I thought that was a lot.

But this is more than just a car. For me, it's a statement. A statement of sustainability. I have solar on my house, and plan on adding it on my garage as well. My current system is 2.5kw, and with Minnesota's 6 months of winter, I generate about 2900kwh per year. This means I can drive about 10,000 miles purely on the sun on my current system. When I add solar to the garage, it'll be larger than the house system since the garage faces south (on purpose). This will probably be a 5700kwh system, allowing me to drive 19,000 miles purely on the sun. This is my purpose for buying the Tesla. I really don't need the luxury.

I have a 60 in order and have 3 days left to make any changes. Here is what I am contemplating.

Upgrade to 60D? Is there a big difference with dual motors? I am a dad in my late thirties so speeding around is not my thing.

Go all glass! The new, cool thing. Wish I could retro-fit.

I have RWD and of all the things I wish my classic car had, dual motors is not at the top of the list.

@Lobstakilla I'm also here in Scottsdale. I have a S75 without pano and a P90D with pano.

#1 - The D is not really necessary here unless you really think you'll be taking trips to snowy places (Flagstaff, Telluride, etc.) and want the security. The only reason I like is it because I have to hit the brakes way less.

#2 - Regarding the pano, I prefer NOT having pano for the following reasons: a) less wind noise b) less heat and c) one less thing to worry about breaking. I know people mention it doesn't let in a lot of heat but I'm bald and I can definitely tell when heat is radiating from the pano. ;-) That being said I've never been a sunroof person and no one in my family is over 6 feet tall so headroom isn't an issue. I'd go glass roof if you're not a sunroof person.

Hope this helps. If you want to compare my 2 cars PM me. I can talk about this all day. :)

Reactions: Ormond
I went with body colored roof and "D". Anything you can't upgrade later, you should probably get as much of now as you can afford. I went wit air suspension too because these cars are long and low and scrape pretty easily. The air was something I really thought about because they are expensive to fix and I hear go through tires more quickly but in speaking with some owners they said the ride feel along with the ability to now worry about scraping made me press the button. To each his/her own. Not seeing through the roof isn't a problem for the driver and probably for the passengers as well. Dual motors may help in weather and can't be installed later-I'd go with it if you have the means.