Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 door seal kit- review with data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey boys & girls,

Just put up a review on the Goloho door seal kit. I know these kits are super popular but some reviews have been lacking much data and going off the reviewer's ears only.

We took the time to do some before/after testing with a DB meter (phone). Results may be interesting to some.

https://www.chargedsociety.com/post/cs-review-goloho-model-3-door-seal-kit

cheers

Desibel is a non-linear measurement, where 3dB is is a doubling of the volume. However, we perceive sound differently and for most humans it takes approximately 10dB to say that the volume has doubled or increased by a lot. Additionally, we pick up different frequencies differently:
Example1) high pitch noises are very muted, and the higher frequencies generally become unavailable the older you get.
Example2) some frequencies are extra easy to hear. For example the shrill sound of a classic telephone, or the wailing of an ambulance.

Another point is that different frequencies penetrate different materials better or worse.

Why does this matter?
You do not have a graph depicting which frequencies were picked up at which dB level. In theory the app could pick up 25kHz at 68dB and all noises below 15kHz at only 45dB, which means the app sees nothing different but it is completely different for perceived noise level.
This is of course an extreme and unrealistic scenario, but the point is that without looking at the dB level per frequency range, which some other tests on this forum does, then it isn't telling us anything other than the highest decibel measured for any frequency didn't alter significantly before or after you installed the kit.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sceptical about the noise isolation through the doors myself, but you do not have the data to prove if it works or not (for sound purposes).

Hi Marius, all good points. We of course welcome and are happy to hear any and all constructive critism, I'll definitely look to have that additional data for future testing if possible.

I believe that because the tests were compared in very similar circumstances the sound waves (Hertz) likewise throughout the tests would be extremely similar.

The nutshell version is that I can't hear the difference myself and I'm confident that the data, no matter how limited, supports that. Keep in mind, I admit in the post that a phone is certainly not the ideal measuring equipment and any data needs to be taken with a grain of salt, we're simply looking for patterns. This should by no means be taken as the holy grail, rather a reference point.

Thanks for taking the time to read.