Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 dual motor - are both motors used all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"faster than anyone should ever go on public roads" is also your opinion. I bet John Force thinks a 1.2 second 0-60 mph on the street is still too slow.

Everything is opinion. In this case it corresponds to fact.

If you go 0-60 in 5.x seconds, you're endangering yourself and/or others most of the time. There are exceptions, yes, but a car is not a toy.

EDIT: ...which isn't to say that having that kind of acceleration can't also be a godsend for avoiding emergency situations. And it's part of what makes the car feel so great - it's incredibly smooth.

I don’t care for how fast the vehicle will accelerate as I don’t drive that way - not interested in how fast I can get to the next traffic light. (Similarly I care little about the potential top speed of a vehicle as the speed limit is way below that)

It is interesting to see a difference of opinion regarding the operation of the front motor in a T3DM under normal non race track public road city / highway driving. So the consensus is that the front motor contributes little under these circumstances and does not contribute to Regen braking (though the action of the electromagnets will contribute to braking without recuperating any Regen energy) . Please correct me if I am incorrect

Reactions: nickbatz
I don’t care for how fast the vehicle will accelerate as I don’t drive that way - not interested in how fast I can get to the next traffic light. (Similarly I care little about the potential top speed of a vehicle as the speed limit is way below that)

It is interesting to see a difference of opinion regarding the operation of the front motor in a T3DM under normal non race track public road city / highway driving. So the consensus is that the front motor contributes little under these circumstances and does not contribute to Regen braking (though the action of the electromagnets will contribute to braking without recuperating any Regen energy) . Please correct me if I am incorrect
It's not an opinionated consensus on the front motor use, it's a verifiable fact. The same way I recorded the regen, through an obd reader and SMT.

Electric motors are instant power — the dual motor Model 3 just has more of it. Dual motors also allow more athletic handling. The 3’s dynamics are quite good with its low center of gravity, planted steering and sophisticated suspension. The Performance model turns up the wick, not just with better traction, but by using the motors in tandem for better rotation.
Sophisticated suspension? Lol. It may be the worst performing "performance suspension" I've driven in the last 7 years. There's nothing sophisticated about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and mh4k
The last few days we've had snow and slippery conditions here. I've seen my front motor do regen and be used in fairly low acceleration. It seems like if I got some slipping, the next few accelerations or regens will systematically use the front motor until the car learns that it's not slipping anymore and it slowly reverts to being rear-driven. I do not have a performance so there was no track mode involved.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Sophisticated suspension? Lol. It may be the worst performing "performance suspension" I've driven in the last 7 years. There's nothing sophisticated about it.

It has a stiff suspension, no question, and for example Consumer Reports knocked it because of that in their review.

But I'm going to guess that the stiff suspension makes its handling more responsive? That's based on two things: 1. BMW's "sport package" option for their cars has a stiffer suspension for that reason, and 2. the supposed advantage of the larger wheels/thinner tires option is similar.

You'd think they could have easily have given the Model 3 a more luxurious ride just by loosening the suspension. But then I'm not a car designer.

Reactions: Sam1
It has a stiff suspension, no question, and for example Consumer Reports knocked it because of that in their review.

But I'm going to guess that the stiff suspension makes its handling more responsive? That's based on two things: 1. BMW's "sport package" option for their cars has a stiffer suspension for that reason, and 2. the supposed advantage of the larger wheels/thinner tires option is similar.

You'd think they could have easily have given the Model 3 a more luxurious ride just by loosening the suspension. But then I'm not a car designer.

Can confirm that the 135 m sport package is trash. Other thing I don't like is the brake bias, wish you could turn down the rear just a wee bit, with 200ta street tires on, the thing still hits abs constantly on the rear, hard braking on the street. Only time it doesn't is when the radials are on.

Can confirm that the 135 m sport package is trash. Other thing I don't like is the brake bias, wish you could turn down the rear just a wee bit, with 200ta street tires on, the thing still hits abs constantly on the rear, hard braking on the street. Only time it doesn't is when the radials are on.

My other car is a 2004 X5 with a sport package, but I've never driven one without it (I promise you I couldn't have afforded it new, so it wasn't an option).

It has a pretty stiff ride, but it was the best-driving car I'd ever driven - until now, when I don't want to drive anything other than the Tesla. :)

I actually find the suspension in my 21p to soft. Sure it's fine for daily driving, but when I want to crank it up and hit some winding roads with some excitment. The car gets out of balance extremly quick and easy.

I actually find the suspension in my 21p to soft. Sure it's fine for daily driving, but when I want to crank it up and hit some winding roads with some excitment. The car gets out of balance extremly quick and easy.
@RefreshedP you are spot on, but @nickbatz is right too in a way. The stock 2021 Model 3 dual motor suspension (LR or P) is too soft when pushed hard, and too hard when driven softly. ;-)

(I can't speak for pre-2021 or single motor cars, maybe the same but I can't say firsthand.)

Personally I'm fine with the ride quality, it's like past sporty compact cars I've owned, but it's certainly not the smooth, luxurious ride some seek or expect, especially compared to an air suspension Model S (for prior Tesla owners). Some cars in this price range, including some EVs, manage to ride better while also handling better at the same time. They do it with conventional springs and high quality dampers, e.g. Öhlins DFV in the Polestar 2 Performance, and Magneride in the Mach-E GT Performance Edition. The stock damping in the 2021 Model 3 dual motor is wholly inadequate when pushed hard on twisty, uneven back roads.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the suspension at my first autocross in the Tesla. Its not a race car for sure but neither is anything else in this or adjacent categories. I haven't driven any cool cars in anger in like 10 years so maybe BMW M3s and such have gotten a lot better or something. Though I was quicker than most of the M cars there despite being on sub par tires... *shrug*

The car does feel kind of *weird* but that is pretty normal for all wheel drive, especially with open diffs that use brakes as a poor mans' diff. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised how it felt and did with stock camber on bad tires. I look forward to camber arms and autocross specific wheel/tires.

Reactions: OUengineer
Base Model 3: $40,000.

Second motor $9000, fool self-driving $10,000, red instead of white $2000, white interior so you can spend your time cleaning it $1000, rear seat heater rip-off $300, big-penis wheels $1900 for a stiffer ride... Total: $24,200.

That's an extra 60%, or the price of a Subaru - which is an excellent car.

The base model kicks *serious* arse. I've driven a lot of cars, and none comes close to being as much fun to drive.

What???
I see this
RWD: $44,990, not $40,000

And no option to choose rear seat heating.

Same with red, or a white interior - if you like that, great, but $3000 feels like sodomy (not that I'm intimately familiar with how it feels, in case anyone is worried).
I did meet your cousin who claimed cilantro/coriander tastes like soap. I am not sure why anyone would eating soap but then I heard he dropped the soap and then it made sense why he had soap in his mouth 🤣

It was $9000 when we ordered our Model 3 over the summer. And it's not 25% slower, it's much faster than you should ever accelerate on the road.

If you want to pay $9000 (not $6000) to save a few minutes of charging time on long trips, I won't stop you. Same with $2000 for red. Just let me and PT Barnum know first so I can buy some Tesla stock and get rich off you.

But seriously. Are you really going to mansplain me that people have different needs and wants? SERIOUSLY?! Does it really require deep levels of subtlety to get the cue that I'm just being snarky and kidding around?

Wait. I just re-read what you wrote. "Some people don't want to deal with...". Wow. Breathtaking.
Several people disagree with me! I guess my snark is too subtle.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the suspension at my first autocross in the Tesla. Its not a race car for sure but neither is anything else in this or adjacent categories. I haven't driven any cool cars in anger in like 10 years so maybe BMW M3s and such have gotten a lot better or something. Though I was quicker than most of the M cars there despite being on sub par tires... *shrug*

The car does feel kind of *weird* but that is pretty normal for all wheel drive, especially with open diffs that use brakes as a poor mans' diff. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised how it felt and did with stock camber on bad tires. I look forward to camber arms and autocross specific wheel/tires.
I'm still trying to get used to the traction control and what it will let you do and when it will lock you down. I'm finding if I drive it right, I can get the back end out just a little before I lay into it and pull it straight, but it's not super intuitive. In general tho, it seems like more throttle helps when TC gets over active. Does this sound like your experience as well? Or completely different?

Also, welcome to the Tesla forums! Have thoroughly enjoyed your posts on Slowtwitch back in the day (was golfer17 and then later Journeytogopro on there).