Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 is too quiet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the S and X that are the luxury cars. The 3 is the little sporty car, complete with sporty rattles and sporty wind noise. My 3 was HALF the price of my Model S, so it would be surprising if there were not some lower design standards and less expensive build options. Of course all the 3 owners will cry, "But it's a Tesla!" to which I answer, "But it's a cheap Tesla." It's what the masses wanted. There really is a difference, and I have both.

Yes, I guess it is all relative. After driving my X for 3 years, I test drove a 3 and my first impression was "What is all that wind noise." Perhaps others have better experience.
That stuff is largely correctable, there's a few potential sources for rattles and wind noise but a combo of foam rubber piping, taping, and such to fix key points clears up a lot of that. I also carry near zero items in my console and the back (just a tire pump wedged into the driver's side corner of the trunk, also saves on things rolling around on spirited cornering). Rattles can be largely squashed, too.

What the Model 3 doesn't do is insulate you from noise from the outside, that's really the difference between it and what's traditionally a "quiet car". Doing that requires a lot of material. The Model 3 has a bunch of batting and foam stuffed under the skin but it doesn't have S-Class Benz levels, for example, of that sort of thing.

So you'll hear the road you happen to be driving on a lot more, it becomes the dominant sound most of the time. On a smooth road the experience becomes outright eerie.

OP: May I suggest these? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: chinnam3
It's the S and X that are the luxury cars. The 3 is the little sporty car, complete with sporty rattles and sporty wind noise. My 3 was HALF the price of my Model S, so it would be surprising if there were not some lower design standards and less expensive build options. Of course all the 3 owners will cry, "But it's a Tesla!" to which I answer, "But it's a cheap Tesla." It's what the masses wanted. There really is a difference, and I have both.
So you sound like a tesla snob my friends complain about. Sorry that we can’t all pay for twice the price and get an S. I’m happy with my 3 and love that I can still support the concept of an all electric car as classy as a tesla. Even it’s its “only a 3”!

So you'll hear the road you happen to be driving on a lot more, it becomes the dominant sound most of the time. On a smooth road the experience becomes outright eerie.
OP:

Yes, and that is what I notice with the X as well. Recently when I came across the state line from California to Nevada, the car suddenly got super quiet. Not that Nevada roads are any better. Just at the state line there is a huge noticeable difference. The X was really noisy (tire to road wise) until I hit that nice smooth asphalt at the line. The wife even said "What got so quiet? Did something fall off the car?" To which the only stupid reply I could think of was "Yes. California pot holes"

I disagree, but I also may not be as picky as you. I can certainly afford an S or X (and have driven the S but didn't like the size), but I don't find my 3 to have rattles and wind noise. I prefer the 3 due to the size, but to each their own.

Reactions: PatP
So you sound like a tesla snob my friends complain about. Sorry that we can’t all pay for twice the price and get an S. I’m happy with my 3 and love that I can still support the concept of an all electric car as classy as a tesla. Even it’s its “only a 3”!
Hmmm, I was just thinking that he was being accurate. I didn't make the assumption he was snobbish. I think we could say similar things about most any manufacture line of cars. The high end are better than the low end. Glad you love your 3. It was fun to drive and an nice Tesla, but the wife didn't want it for a few different reasons.

Reactions: ZoomDoggie

I've driven an early S60, a brand new S75D (for a week as a loaner), and a friend's X75D (borrowed for a trip from Sacramento to Palm Springs and back). I own a LR RWD 3. I like them all, but I'd choose my 3 over the others even if they were all the same price.

Reactions: PatP and chinnam3
My 3 was HALF the price of my Model S, so it would be surprising if there were not some lower design standards and less expensive build options.

It's a cheap Tesla, but there's almost no other actual luxury car that costs $40-$60k have standards as low as the Model 3. I also swear the car was much quieter when I first received it but now it's as noisy as the $15k Ubers I ride in and I barely have 1000 miles.

It's a cheap Tesla, but there's almost no other actual luxury car that costs $40-$60k have standards as low as the Model 3. I also swear the car was much quieter when I first received it but now it's as noisy as the $15k Ubers I ride in and I barely have 1000 miles.
LOL

That's because it's so quiet that you can hear those things. :) It's kinda insidious like that. All the quiet lets you pay attention, then you can hear it all.

EDIT: Then you fix the items and you'll go bonkers riding in all OMG FIX THAT DAMN RATTLE ALREADY WILL YOU cars. Welcome to the rabbit hole, no way but down from here. :D

Actually, at 60,000 average cost, not a cheap car. The wind noise is excessive for a car in this price range.

• Disagree
Reactions: PatP
LOL

That's because it's so quiet that you can hear those things. :) It's kinda insidious like that. All the quiet lets you pay attention, then you can hear it all.

That's 100% not the case. The previous two Mercedes (2012 C63, 2016 C300) I had were much quieter. Cars around me were near silent, even cars honking took effort to notice. In my Model 3 I can precisely hear the location of every car around me and this is also with the radio on.