Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 month old Model S with all glass roof. A huge crack developed already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'

It's the same test. Please refer to Musk's quote at the time.

Musk "When we did the roof crush test, it got to four times the weight of the car, and then the machine broke," Musk told CBS. "So, literally the thing that is supposed to crush the car broke instead of the car."

Tesla's boasts about its safety test doubted

Elon was boasting about a ratio of 4. The Prius and Volvo are above 5.

A machine that breaks during a test is very different than a machine broken by the car tested.

When presented with the data, whose conclusion would you think is the correct one?
@MS16,
Thanks for digging this up. Yes, I know the positive spin Tesla/Elon likes to use on these when it is even slightly positive :) So I wrote "Tesla said", though I had my doubts.

I'm still wondering, if such tests have been done on the glass roof models. Aluminium & steel sheets are more flexible than glass. They might hold up better in a rollover crash.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to my March 2017 delivery car. The crack developed (or I first noticed the crack) a few days after delivery. It happened right above the drivers seat. You couldn't see or feel the crack from the outside - but could feel the delamination from the inside. Started small - grew to over a foot.

Took about 3 weeks for them to get the roof in stock and about a week to do the repair. Tesla said there was no safety issue driving the car with the cracked roof. It was the first that the Centenlia repair shop saw/did.

They ended up also replacing my windshield. After the roof was installed there was too large of a gap between the windshield and the roof. It was more cost effective to just replace the windshield then to do the glass roof a second time.

They also tore my headliner... which is still not fixed due to a back order. Sigh.