Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 or 4 electric motors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought there were 4 Model 3 electric motors on the semi, now I see mention of 3? Would seem making two, 2 motor axles the same would be better than a 2 motor and a different 1 motor axle. What is right?

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 8.23.38 PM.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
The axle housings seem to be the same front axle has 2 motors rear axle has 1, as to why they removed one…..economics, weight, unnecessary, I’m sure that a company full of engineers and more educated about the project are probably doing what’s best for the product they designed.

The axle housings seem to be the same front axle has 2 motors rear axle has 1, as to why they removed one…..economics, weight, unnecessary, I’m sure that a company full of engineers and more educated about the project are probably doing what’s best for the product they designed.
It would be interesting to know if those 3 motors are induction or permanent magnet motors, or a combination of those.

I think that the two-motor axial use permanent magnet motors and the axial with a single motor uses an induction motor.

So the single axial might be only used to improve acceleration or regenerate braking, or on wet road,
but is shutdown when cruising to improve consumption..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VIKING26
I think that the two-motor axial use permanent magnet motors and the axial with a single motor uses an induction motor.

So the single axial might be only used to improve acceleration or regenerate braking, or on wet road,
I expect the opposite. The single motor will be PM for cruising, and the dual motors will be induction so they can free-wheel when not needed.

Reactions: kayak1
It would be interesting to know if those 3 motors are induction or permanent magnet motors, or a combination of those.

Your breakdown Certainly has merit and sounds like an excellent way to design the system efficiency is key to this beast

The top of the chart said 97% :). Same model 3 hardware..that’s such a game changer to have car and truck hardware the same for serviceability and stocking parts
"Stocking" parts? You ever needed service to replace something?! 😆

I kid I kid. I mean I got my replacement windshield in just four months.

Sort of.

I'm surprised that the plaid motors are cost effective compared with model 3 motors. Clearly they don't cost as much more as one might guess (or at least in the context of the rest of the Semi's costs).

I'm surprised that the plaid motors are cost effective compared with model 3 motors. Clearly they don't cost as much more as one might guess (or at least in the context of the rest of the Semi's costs).
Probably not cost effective but there are now three plaid motors vs four Model 3 motors. One less motor but a similar performance might make it worth it. Not from the few hundred lbs of weight savings, but one less motor and inverter to breakdown. Overall reliability is improved assuming that the Plaid motor/inverter is as reliable as the 3.