Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that the rollout will be that bad. Like daviddavid said, about 65% of the Y is a 3. The entire battery, drivetrain and much of the interior are identical. Tesla is also well aware of the 3 production problems in the early rollout and is paying very close attention to build quality. We're looking to buy a Y but not for a year. If we had the $ now it wouldn't worry me at all to put an order in. Tesla hasn't had to sweat heavy production #s until the affordable 3 came into the picture.

Before you predict the production schedule and quality I suggest we wait to hear about the bottom line for the next few quarters. They will be shipping (we hope) model 3s made in China soon and the Y will be the big news next year. There's many a slip... If profits aren't sustained for the next couple of quarters there will be significant pressure to make it up in the time it takes to build a car and quality will suffer. That was the reason for build quality issues in early model 3s. Too soon to say if it will repeat.

Tesla still has quality problems with the 3. Have read many recent accounts of issues. Hopefully Tesla is better than industry.
Several co-workers have stated they wish they never accepted their 3 because has been difficult to get service to fix issues.

Before you predict the production schedule and quality I suggest we wait to hear about the bottom line for the next few quarters. They will be shipping (we hope) model 3s made in China soon and the Y will be the big news next year. There's many a slip... If profits aren't sustained for the next couple of quarters there will be significant pressure to make it up in the time it takes to build a car and quality will suffer. That was the reason for build quality issues in early model 3s. Too soon to say if it will repeat.
I agree, yet these issues didn't exist beyond the industry norm during production of the S and X. Elon wanted to compete in a higher demand/ production segment and the 3 showed those growing pains. Ramping up those kind of numbers after serving a more niche market has killed several EV wannabes. Lesson learned.
The viability of Tesla as a profitable co. is your more critical point. It has been looking up but I agree they need to string together a nice run for a few Q's. Also as there become more super charging stations, that infrastructure will help bouy Tesla through any more fiscally tight for coming Q's IMHO. Those of us driving all those 3's are gladly paying for it rather than the alternative.
Great point. :cool:

Reactions: Hans L
65%, 75%, 0%, it doesn't matter. Tesla has a bad reputation for first generation models.
Like I mentioned, the fact that production is being rushed sounds an awful like 3 years ago with the Model 3. They haven't earned the benefit of our doubt. I'm happy for those of you who haven't had issues in the past, but man, that's not the norm.

65%, 75%, 0%, it doesn't matter. Tesla has a bad reputation for first generation models.
Like I mentioned, the fact that production is being rushed sounds an awful like 3 years ago with the Model 3. They haven't earned the benefit of our doubt. I'm happy for those of you who haven't had issues in the past, but man, that's not the norm.

Don't talk like that in the Tesla investment threads. They will chew you up and call you a troll. You might even get banned from the site.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I wonder if the Y entering the market might cause a temporary flood of used Model 3 cars. Surely many are salivating over the idea of the tailgate and a bit more room. I don't plan on leaving the 3 at all, but I am curious to check the "feel" of the Y and compare it for overall size.

Oddly, the Cybertruck looks better to my eye than the X does. Who knows.

Reactions: DanCar and Hans L
I'm still waiting for them to finish it! I don't think it's legal to put on the road anywhere yet. No headlights, no side mirrors, no side running lights, no frunk or front crumple zone and bed rails so high you have to access the bed only thru the tailgate. It would be an awesome fifth wheel tower. Not worth a damn as a craftsmans construction vehicle, IMHO.

Entire front strip is a headlight- and side mirrors aren't required in several countries (and more all the time- even the NHTSA in the US is studying allowing them to be replaced with cameras as the cybertruck does). I expect they'll need to tweak some of the lighting slightly but not in any major way.

There's absolutely a frunk not sure why you think otherwise (though obviously one isn't legally required)...and those high rear sides are going to open to offer additional storage too.

I think it'd be excellent as a construction vehicle not just for being durable and hauling/storing a lot (plus seating a crew of 6), but onboard air compressor and 120 and 240 power to run tools all day.

Probably be popular with lawn care business too to keep cordless hardware charged up between stops.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
The word on the street from friends of people work for Tesla is that they are way ahead of schedule, they went from Fall 2020 to Summer and now they are talking Spring. An indicator is the amount of model Y’s already in the wild. My order is set. Will post on the a model Y board when I get any notice to hit the design center in March - April to continue the process. This is a video that was uploaded in September, the General Assembly line (GA5) was starting to be worked on for the model Y in Fremont. Some good info here:

Fred

Last edited:
There's absolutely a frunk not sure why you think otherwise
Cuz I assumed!!! There can't be anything under that tiny front end. I know what happens when I assume... :confused:
BTW- hours after posting that I see pics of one on the road near LAX. HAH :p.
I still really want to see one up close but the bed still has me concerned, access wise. Thanks for the heads up, I don't like the taste of shoe leather. :rolleyes:

Model 3 awd LR vs Model Y awd LR range is now 42 miles (322 vs 280). Since I don’t need the trunk space or a hatchback, this is a smaller issue for me. But seat height and headroom is! How much difference is there for these two things between the two?

did I mention 42 miles! Also, don’t think battery and motor investment day info will effect the M3 or MY for at least a year....

Model 3 awd LR vs Model Y awd LR range is now 42 miles (322 vs 280). Since I don’t need the trunk space or a hatchback, this is a smaller issue for me. But seat height and headroom is! How much difference is there for these two things between the two?

did I mention 42 miles! Also, don’t think battery and motor investment day info will effect the M3 or MY for at least a year....
This might be optimistic but I assume the same range/speed increases due to motor efficiency tuning that have been done on the 3 will be applied to the Y. There has also consistently been a delay in the pricing changes for the M3 to hit the Model Y so i assume/ hope the same applies to the range numbers.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don't see much of an advantage over the 3 other than carrying taller boxes in the trunk and a 3rd row of seats which you have to pay more dollars for. Is Y's length carrying long items shorter than a 3 which would be a disadvantage for me.

IMHO the most perfect family vehicle ever made is the W210 Mercedes E Class wagon. With the seats down you have a larger cargo area than most Ford F150's. With all 3 rows up, seats 7. Literally blubber out "I love this car" every time we use it. It just does everything well.

The Model Y has nearly the exact interior dimensions + electric.