Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 phase charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys i have brought the tesla wall connector charger. I have 3 phase electric at my unit and will install the charger here does anyone know the difference in charge times between single and 3 phase? Also are there any other benefits for using 3 phase or negatives?
Thanks apologies in advance if its a stupid question ha!

That depends on what's in your car and the clue to that is how many fat pins are there in your car's charging connector. If there are 3 then you will be drawing from all three phases and the advantage to be had there is less ripple but with modern power supply technology I don't think there it makes much difference.

If your power connector only has two heavy pins then you are only connecting across 1 phase and are not achieving any of the benefits of 3 phase.

The benefits of three phase are mostly in distribution (saves copper for the same amount of power delivered) and in motors (naturally rotating magnetic field) and, as mentioned above, much reduced ripple in bridge rectifiers.

Reactions: MSLR
That depends on what's in your car and the clue to that is how many fat pins are there in your car's charging connector. If there are 3 then you will be drawing from all three phases and the advantage to be had there is less ripple but with modern power supply technology I don't think there it makes much difference.

If your power connector only has two heavy pins then you are only connecting across 1 phase and are not achieving any of the benefits of 3 phase.

The benefits of three phase are mostly in distribution (saves copper for the same amount of power delivered) and in motors (naturally rotating magnetic field) and, as mentioned above, much reduced ripple in bridge rectifiers.
many thanks for the reply and information :)

It really depends on what is in the car. If there are 3 charging modules of X watts each and if each is connected to a phase then you will get 3*X watts. But that requires, as I noted in my first post, 3 phase conductors coming into the car. My understanding is that the connectors on continental vehicles have that but I don't know about ones sold in the UK.

It really depends on what is in the car. If there are 3 charging modules of X watts each and if each is connected to a phase then you will get 3*X watts. But that requires, as I noted in my first post, 3 phase conductors coming into the car. My understanding is that the connectors on continental vehicles have that but I don't know about ones sold in the UK.
Yes, the UK vehicles also have the Type 2 Mennekes charging ports that take incoming 3 phase connections and also do have the 3 phase enabled onboard chargers just like the rest of Europe.