TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3 Phase HPWC for Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ColinA, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ColinA

ColinA Member

The installation manual for this is now there under "Model S Guides" on MYTESLA - hopefully means it is now pretty close!

3P HPWC.jpg

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Hooooray!!
    Published today in fact, so that was spotted quickly.
    Not that I'm accusing anyone of obsessing over their "My Tesla" page waiting on their new car. :wink:

This bit looks good too:
    "The Wall Connector has an internal rotary
    switch that allows you to adjust its operating
    current (refer to Set the Operating Current on
    page 18). The circuit breaker should be
    rated for the continuous current of: 6, 8, 10, 13,
    16, 20, 25, and 32A.
    Note: Refer to the circuit breaker current
    ratings specified on IEC 60898 when installing
    the Wall Connector. If in doubt, check with
    your local building electrical inspector
    ."

So they have allowed for 16 and 20 Amps, unlike the single phase charger.
    Can anyone tell me what the circuit breaker requirements are under IEC 60898?

3. sdick3

sdick3 Member

Also cool that it has a master slave mode. For those of you with 3 or 4 Tesla.

4. ColinA

ColinA Member

Who, me??

5. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

I wonder if there will be an option for us to buy our original single phase HPWC at a discounted (secondhand) price.

6. ColinA

ColinA Member

When I spoke to Mitchell from Tesla yesterday he said he was working on just such a program.

7. paulp

paulp Member

#7 paulp, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Looks like it has a proper holder. I wonder if it will fit the larger australian plug, unlike that plastic thing that comes with the single phase.

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

It does. There are a few installed at the service centre in Sydney.

9. TesAus

TesAus Member

What is Master Slave mode?

10. bigjsl

bigjsl Member

Great to see this. I like the idea of being able to full charge quickly if I need to turn the car around quickly.

11. ColinA

ColinA Member

The main thing to remember with it is it is really only of benefit to those with dual chargers in their car. The new HPWC will do 400V 32A, or 22kW, however single charger on the car is limited to 11kW. The existing single phase HPWC is 230V at 40A, or 9.2kW

12. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

I just had a flick through the manual and it says it is rated at 15kW, so approx 70km/hr charge rate.

The maximum rating for the Wall Connector is 15 kW or 32 amps at 230V AC three-phase power.Your vehicle can charge from 180V to 264V single-phase or 380V to 415V three-phase.

13. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

From the manual:

Code:
    The Wall Connector includes a feature whereby Wall Connector to Wall Connector communication allows a single circuit breaker to be connected and shared, servicing up to four Wall Connectors. 

That's cool! So if you have multiple Teslas in the garage they will take turns charging.

I originally wasn't going to bother getting my free upgrade to a 3-phase wall connector because I only have single-phase power here, but for that feature alone I might get it anyway.

Either they made a typo or I'm missing something.

32A @ 230V 3phase = 32 x 230 x 3 (or 32 x 400 x square-root of 3) = 22kW

And here in WA where our nominal voltage is between 240V and 250V, 32A 3-phase gives us 23-24kW

15kW implies a limit of 22A per phase

- - - Updated - - -

The real question is, does it come with the "robo-snake" plug? :tongue:

robosnake.jpeg

14. ColinA

ColinA Member

#14 ColinA, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Just bear in mind that if you only have single phase power to your home and hook up the new 3 phase charger to that (which you can), you will only be hooking up one of the phases and therefore be limited to 32A, compared to 40A with the single phase HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

It does say that, which is kind of weird. 3 Phase 230VAC at 32A = 22kW. Single car charger limit is 11kW, dual chargers is 22kW. I've emailed Mitchel at Tesla for an explanation and will report back here once I get it.

15. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Good point. My HPWC is currently set to 40A (on a 50A breaker) but I have it dialled down in the car to 32A - still fast enough to top up overnight, even when I arrive home with ~10% and need 100% the next morning (which has happened twice in the last 11 months)

And there's now two CHAdeMO chargers in the city. The last time I arrived from outside the metro area with 15% remaining I grabbed a quick 30 minute top-up (adding about 30% of charge) before heading home in case I had to make an unexpected trip that evening - 32A single phase is more than enough for me at home (and that's with the nearest supercharger 3400km away)

16. ColinA

ColinA Member

I got a fast response from Mitchel, who confirmed that the 3P HPWC will definitely supply 22kW. He described the paragraph in the manual as poorly written, and is getting them to review it.

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Had a response from Huw today that the 3 phase units are looking good for February.

( mind you, he didn't say which year!).

18. timpoo

timpoo Member

One thing to keep in mind guys is that even if you can, you may not want to install it at 22kW. There is a lot of talk and some view it as an inevitability that residential tariffs will move towards demand based charges rather than consumption. In other words you'll be paying more for the size of your pipe, rather than how much flows through it. 22kW is A LOT, which means your electricity bill will go up quite a bit. There are no concrete details yet but something to think about. I know the temptation of FULL POWER is very strong :D

If you can get away with 11kW, or 16A 3 Phase, which still gives you 50km of range per hour, that might be a better option.

19. ColinA

ColinA Member

... and unless you have dual chargers in your car, 11kW is all you will get anyway.

20. Mark E

Mark E Member

To be honest the 32A single phase is enough for me in daily driving. 200km around town is a lot and 6 hours overnight will get back to 90%