Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Phase HPWC for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will happen when it happens; but they will happily take your money for the dual chargers 18mths ++ before supplying the 3 phase charger.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

One thing to keep in mind guys is that even if you can, you may not want to install it at 22kW. There is a lot of talk and some view it as an inevitability that residential tariffs will move towards demand based charges rather than consumption. In other words you'll be paying more for the size of your pipe, rather than how much flows through it. 22kW is A LOT, which means your electricity bill will go up quite a bit. There are no concrete details yet but something to think about. I know the temptation of FULL POWER is very strong :D

If you can get away with 11kW, or 16A 3 Phase, which still gives you 50km of range per hour, that might be a better option.

Not if you are running a large solar/battery system in the house which also charges the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Promised 14 months ago when I took delivery of my car!! Was due around March last year...........
They really are going to need to get their game together if the company is to survive long term.

Interesting article in yesterdays Financial Review on that subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Mitchell also told me there will NOT be a program allowing us to keep the single phase charger at low cost after we are sent the 3 phase. he was trying to organise it but management knocked it on the head. My guess is they want to recycle them as destination chargers.

So they took my $1800 for dual charges 18 months ago, won't refund it until/if the 3 phase arrives and now they want their $1500 single phase back that I was going to use at work. Really kicking goals there Tesla.......

So they took my $1800 for dual charges 18 months ago, won't refund it until/if the 3 phase arrives and now they want their $1500 single phase back that I was going to use at work. Really kicking goals there Tesla.......

I'm not sure I follow. The dual charger option is currently $2600, so I'm assuming 18 months ago it was $1800? Given that I also assume you received the dual charger installed into your car along with the single phase HPWC you got with your car, so why are you wanting to refund it? The product is dual charger plus 3 Phase HPWC changeover of single phase HPWC when it becomes available. When you get the 3 Phase HPWC you return the single phase HPWC. The program was never to keep both HPWC units.

I'm not sure I follow. The dual charger option is currently $2600, so I'm assuming 18 months ago it was $1800? Given that I also assume you received the dual charger installed into your car along with the single phase HPWC you got with your car, so why are you wanting to refund it? The product is dual charger plus 3 Phase HPWC changeover of single phase HPWC when it becomes available. When you get the 3 Phase HPWC you return the single phase HPWC. The program was never to keep both HPWC units.

Maybe it was $2600; but $1800 was the figure that I recalled. Prices have gone up dramatically with the fall in the exchange rate. At the time of delivery I was told that the 3 phase charger will be delivered free of charge "soon" and you keep the single phase you have now.
The refund is purely on principle for being charged 18 months ago when they must have known the 3 phase wasn't available. I will pay for it if and when it ever turns up.
Stuff like this annoys the hell out of me....... obviously.

Maybe it was $2600; but $1800 was the figure that I recalled. Prices have gone up dramatically with the fall in the exchange rate. At the time of delivery I was told that the 3 phase charger will be delivered free of charge "soon" and you keep the single phase you have now.
The refund is purely on principle for being charged 18 months ago when they must have known the 3 phase wasn't available. I will pay for it if and when it ever turns up.

Sounds like you got a misinformed sales person unfortunately. I've not paid close attention not being in the market for one, but every reference I've ever heard in relation to the 3ph HPWC (going back to my initial contact with Tesla 12 months ago) was that it was a changeover. Basically they gave you the single phase one in the interim as they didn't have the 3ph one yet available that you were entitled to as a dual charger buyer, but the suggestion you could keep both I've never heard from anyone.

Haven't you worked out yet that you also paid for homelink, internet browser, and summon?

I installed my 3 phase connector about two weeks ago. They had limited supplies with 2.6 m cables, that only just works for me. Kept silent - since there was no need to raise hopes up unnecessarily. 32 amps per phase gets me 92 km/ hour, which is a bit lower than I was expecting but still pretty fast for a home charging setup. They are expecting more stock shortly and with the longer cables, and are working through the list, I guess in delivery order. I returned my single phase unit. It was always my understanding that it was going to be a swapover situation and the single phase unit was a stopgap workaround.

Reactions: bigjsl
Just bear in mind that if you only have single phase power to your home and hook up the new 3 phase charger to that (which you can), you will only be hooking up one of the phases and therefore be limited to 32A, compared to 40A with the single phase HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

It does say that, which is kind of weird. 3 Phase 230VAC at 32A = 22kW. Single car charger limit is 11kW, dual chargers is 22kW. I've emailed Mitchel at Tesla for an explanation and will report back here once I get it.

Think of it as three separate supplies totaling 3x32=96 Amps at 230V (P= 230 x 96=22080Watts) and you will see that it's a tad over 22kW

There is no benefit of the 3 phase charger as if you only have a single charger in your car

This is not totally correct, those of us with a house wired for 3 phase will generally find a 3 phase charger able to be wired for higher power, I "only" have 63A per phase main breaker, with a single phase charger I'd have to limit it right back on only one phase (especially as I have 3 phase ducted A/C). I could run the 3 phase unit on max current (32A) across all three phases.