TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3 Phase HPWC vs Juice Buster2/Maxi Charger, etc. for traveling?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by possum22, Aug 8, 2018.

1. possum22

possum22 Member

Hi, I recently brought 2015 Model S 85 with Dual Chargers, I found charging with the UMC with the 3 phase Euro adapter in outback Queensland quiet painful, taking 7.5 hours during the day to fully charge(night time wasn't as bad as it allows you to get some sleep.

I am considering buying a 3 Phase HPWC or Juice Buster2/Maxi Charger, EVR3. for traveling, I haven't priced the 3 Phase HPWC yet, I priced the Juice Buster2 at about $1540AUD including post & import duty, EVR3 about 745 Euros(1200AUD) plus post/duty.

I just want some other opinions of which way to go, thanks in advance.

2. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

I use the Tesla HPWC with an angled 5 pin plug attached, the downsides are that the HPWC is not designed for portable use and are known to be fragile, they are bulkier and awkward to carry compared to a juice booster, if you're going to use this method pack it carefully.

• Like x 1
  3. powerfactor

powerfactor Member

Also did this, set it to 40A(x3) internally and limit in the car if the breaker requires it.

4. possum22

possum22 Member

#4 possum22, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Thanks for replies, the HPWC is more fragile than the others, just have to be more careful when using it & storing it in the car.

I priced the 3 phase HPWC at $700 +GST, so $770 + freight.
    I forgot to ask, are new one full 32 amp capable?

5. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Well according to the manufacturer, the Juice Booster will survive being driven over...downside your Tesla won’t !!

6. possum22

possum22 Member

7. reecho

reecho Member

I have a 3 phase HPWC torn down in my shed that has failed. I would not recommend it for any long distance travelling regardless how well you pack it. JB2 or UMC or roll your own OpenEVSE..

8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I bought a 2nd hand HPWC for about $300 about a year ago. Installed it at my parents' place up the coast.