Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Phase HPWC vs Juice Buster2/Maxi Charger, etc. for traveling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I recently brought 2015 Model S 85 with Dual Chargers, I found charging with the UMC with the 3 phase Euro adapter in outback Queensland quiet painful, taking 7.5 hours during the day to fully charge(night time wasn't as bad as it allows you to get some sleep.

I am considering buying a 3 Phase HPWC or Juice Buster2/Maxi Charger, EVR3. for traveling, I haven't priced the 3 Phase HPWC yet, I priced the Juice Buster2 at about $1540AUD including post & import duty, EVR3 about 745 Euros(1200AUD) plus post/duty.

I just want some other opinions of which way to go, thanks in advance.

Hi, I recently brought 2015 Model S 85 with Dual Chargers, I found charging with the UMC with the 3 phase Euro adapter in outback Queensland quiet painful, taking 7.5 hours during the day to fully charge(night time wasn't as bad as it allows you to get some sleep.

I am considering buying a 3 Phase HPWC or Juice Buster2/Maxi Charger, EVR3. for traveling, I haven't priced the 3 Phase HPWC yet, I priced the Juice Buster2 at about $1540AUD including post & import duty, EVR3 about 745 Euros(1200AUD) plus post/duty.

I just want some other opinions of which way to go, thanks in advance.

I use the Tesla HPWC with an angled 5 pin plug attached, the downsides are that the HPWC is not designed for portable use and are known to be fragile, they are bulkier and awkward to carry compared to a juice booster, if you're going to use this method pack it carefully.

Reactions: powerfactor
Thanks for replies, the HPWC is more fragile than the others, just have to be more careful when using it & storing it in the car.

I priced the 3 phase HPWC at $700 +GST, so $770 + freight.
I forgot to ask, are new one full 32 amp capable?

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, the HPWC is more fragile than the others, just have to be more careful when using it & storing it in the car.

I priced the 3 phase HPWC at $700 +GST, so $770 + freight.
I forgot to ask, are new one full 32 amp capable?
I bought a 2nd hand HPWC for about $300 about a year ago. Installed it at my parents' place up the coast.

Guys, don't mean to hijack the thread....

I've just picked up my MS last week, and was wondering if there are any recommendations from you guys about which adapters i shuold have with me in the car?

I do have the UMC, but as all of you are aware, @ 9km/hour charge, its like watching paint dry. So having an option to use any other charging system out there would be advantagous.

Cheers

dilin

I've just picked up my MS last week, and was wondering if there are any recommendations from you guys about which adapters i shuold have with me in the car?

I do have the UMC, but as all of you are aware, @ 9km/hour charge, its like watching paint dry. So having an option to use any other charging system out there would be advantagous.

Cheers

dilin
Are you able to install a tesla hpwc where you reside?

Cheers

dilin

As well as the question asked by @paulp how do you charge at home? what's the most distance you would drive on a busy day? and where are you planning to drive weekends/holidays? And how big is the onboard charger? Set to 11kw or upgraded to 17kw?

As well as the question asked by @paulp how do you charge at home? what's the most distance you would drive on a busy day? and where are you planning to drive weekends/holidays? And how big is the onboard charger? Set to 11kw or upgraded to 17kw?

I have already installed a HPWC at home, which is perfect for the qucik(er) charge over night etc. But i do drive from Narre Warren (south East Melbourne) to Eildon (2 hour drive North) every couple of weeks. I did it last week, and had anxiety all the way back, as i got home with 12 kms left. This with me plugging in the mobile charger for a couple of house while i was in Eildon.

How do i check to see if my car has an 11kw or a 17kw charger?

I would also be driving on the odd occasion to Mildura from Home.

Cheers for the help guys

I have already installed a HPWC at home, which is perfect for the qucik(er) charge over night etc. But i do drive from Narre Warren (south East Melbourne) to Eildon (2 hour drive North) every couple of weeks. I did it last week, and had anxiety all the way back, as i got home with 12 kms left. This with me plugging in the mobile charger for a couple of house while i was in Eildon.

How do i check to see if my car has an 11kw or a 17kw charger?

I would also be driving on the odd occasion to Mildura from Home.

Cheers for the help guys
You can buy a UMC adapter and three phase cables from Evenomics that allow you to charge from three phase power points with your existing Tesla Universal Mobile Connector.

is there any particular adapter i should be getting?

Tesla UMC plus 32amp tail will cover 85% of 3 phase charging, you could also pay the extra $180 for a 20amp tail if you're planning on a lot of country driving, I've used both for 3 years now, pretty bullet proof if you keep the sockets clean, all up the whole package will cost less than $560.
When you charge from 3 phase your cars touchscreen will display 16 or 24amps, if you are using the Tesla UMC the car will only draw 16amps 3 phase (11kw) regardless of the onboard charger being software limited to 11kw or the 17kw upgrade. It's only worth upgrading to 17kw if you're planning to do a lot of 3 phase charging as you will also need to purchase a juice booster or some other portable UMC that can handle 17kw, the juice booster is around the $2000 mark.
Check some more charging info here- Charging – The technical version – Tesla Owners Club Western Australia

Tesla UMC plus 32amp tail will cover 85% of 3 phase charging, you could also pay the extra $180 for a 20amp tail if you're planning on a lot of country driving, I've used both for 3 years now, pretty bullet proof if you keep the sockets clean, all up the whole package will cost less than $560.
When you charge from 3 phase your cars touchscreen will display 16 or 24amps, if you are using the Tesla UMC the car will only draw 16amps 3 phase (11kw) regardless of the onboard charger being software limited to 11kw or the 17kw upgrade. It's only worth upgrading to 17kw if you're planning to do a lot of 3 phase charging as you will also need to purchase a juice booster or some other portable UMC that can handle 17kw, the juice booster is around the $2000 mark.
Check some more charging info here- Charging – The technical version – Tesla Owners Club Western Australia

Thanks a lot for the info.

Exactly what i was after....

Cheers

3 phase yes absolutely no doubt about it and will still be the case, for many remote places, for years to come. For example, I’d like to return to Quilpie and Birdsville more than a decade after my last visit, this time by road and it’s not looking too hopeful right now for anything apart from hiring a Land Cruiser for several weeks.

Or maybe do like the trailblazers and take several 3-phase sockets & try to contact some roadhouses & sparkies in say Charleville, Quilpie, Windorah & Birdsville and offer payment in cash and beer.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
It's like mobile phone coverage. In Australia the vast majority of the population is on the east coast plus Perth.
I don't think there will be any Superchargers in Darwin Or Alice Springs, and I know that there are Tesla Owners in both towns.
Hi Hunter and Richard!
But I have used the Destination charger at The Crown Plaza in Alice.