Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 phase or single phase WC supply better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already got the old 3ph plug to Gen1 UMC connection from when I had an old model S; sounds like I'll need to convince someone to swap their Gen1 UMC with my Gen2 UMC... I'm really not seeing any advantage of the Gen2's as yet.

the advantage is safety, hopefully Tesla release a gen 2 3 phase MC either soon or at the latest with the Cybertruck/Semi.

Non-technical Executive Summary
  • All Teslas now come with an improved charging cord named the Gen 2 Mobile Connector.
  • For safety reasons, the maximum current for the Gen 2 MC was reduced from 40 amps to 32 amps.
  • To further enhance safety, the Gen 2 outlet adapters can sense when an outlet overheats and reduce the charging current to safer levels.
  • Avoid the use of any third party adapter that requires plugging into a Tesla adapter rather than directly to the Mobile Connector brick.
SOURCE: For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part II | CleanTechnica

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I have 2 phases running into home so I used my spare phase for Tesla's charger. 2.7cents per k it costs to run my M3 which makes it very cheap to run. It cost $244 including GST to hock up our Tesla charger as its only 500mm from the back of main switch board.
I wouldn't worry about 3 phase I would just use one of the single phases just for your Tesla charger. If the phase has its own meter you'll know what the cost is to charge your Tesla monthly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Hey did you do 16 amps per phase and do you have an isolation switch on wall next to charger?

I had a socket and plug for ease of removal, and a circuit breaker added. As others had said, it’s 16A per phase.

Attachments

• 6AA76402-8587-41A7-AD60-07DDA5A4B1B6.jpeg
    6AA76402-8587-41A7-AD60-07DDA5A4B1B6.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 2BA9B9C8-1AC6-48CB-B4F5-4798ECAA5ED5.jpeg
    2BA9B9C8-1AC6-48CB-B4F5-4798ECAA5ED5.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Tension
Does anyone know where to buy a Gen1 UMC?

using AliExpress as linked to by raynewman, I get AUD819.64+45.70 shipping to Oz, total = 865.34

If you don't have the Gen1 UMC Euro-5pin-connector
EuroTail.PNG

then add AUD371.14, total now comes to AUD1236.48.

in which case you'd be better off to consider a non-Tesla Gen1 UMC replacement, $945, don't forget 10% discount for TOCA members with a voucher code.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tension
I had a socket and plug for ease of removal, and a circuit breaker added. As others had said, it’s 16A per phase.

Thanks. All looks good. Is that your switchboard right beside the charger?

Im not sure whether to have a socket or not - might look a bit neater without the 3 phase socket but I guess if you ever want to change/upgrade/move the charger its much easier with socket.

using AliExpress as linked to by raynewman, I get AUD819.64+45.70 shipping to Oz, total = 865.34

If you don't have the Gen1 UMC Euro-5pin-connector
View attachment 495794

then add AUD371.14, total now comes to AUD1236.48.

in which case you'd be better off to consider a non-Tesla Gen1 UMC replacement, $945, don't forget 10% discount for TOCA members with a voucher code.

I do have that Gen1 UMC Euro-5pin-connector, but I'm still considering the charger you've linked. My only question is, can that Gen1 UMC replacement do 32A single phase? (I realise the OEM one can't, but I'm curious about the 3rd party one given that they include a 32A tail in the bundle).

Hi all. Hoping to get some ideas here when it comes to buying Type 2 to Type 2 cable. For the purpose of road trips on my M3 and charging in public places, is it better / worth it to get:

16A / 1 Phase
16A / 3 Phase
32A / 1 Phase
32A / 3 Phase

Thank you.

Hi all. Hoping to get some ideas here when it comes to buying Type 2 to Type 2 cable. For the purpose of road trips on my M3 and charging in public places, is it better / worth it to get:

16A / 1 Phase
16A / 3 Phase
32A / 1 Phase
32A / 3 Phase

Thank you.
Get whatever is the maximum your car is capable of. Usually it's only an extra $20.

A Model 3 can handle three-phase 16a and single phase 32a, so buy the three-phase 32a cable.