Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Pin charging advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to collect on Monday and I was planning on using the 3 Pin charger until I get a home charging solution installed... however, I’ve just been reading about the mobile charger and I’ve got some questions:

1. It’s stated that using an extension lead is not recommended but I won’t be ably to get around this... is it safe to use an extension lead and is there a specific one anyone would recommend?

2. is the mobile charger waterproof? (My plan was to leave it plugged overnight)

thanks all.

There is no real reason for not using an extension lead in good condition and rated for 13A. It also must be unwound and the plug to socket connection should be out of the weather of course.

Ideally you should get one made up using a branded plug and externally rated socket using 1.5mm blue Arctic cable.

The socket it is plugged in to also should be in good condition to handle the continuous 10A it will be subjected to.

Due to collect on Monday and I was planning on using the 3 Pin charger until I get a home charging solution installed... however, I’ve just been reading about the mobile charger and I’ve got some questions:

1. It’s stated that using an extension lead is not recommended but I won’t be ably to get around this... is it safe to use an extension lead and is there a specific one anyone would recommend?

2. is the mobile charger waterproof? (My plan was to leave it plugged overnight)

thanks all.

Using a heavy duty, weatherproof, extension lead is OK. Avoid the normal domestic use ones, though. Toughleads do some very good leads: Electric vehicle leads

The charge point that comes with the car, the UMC, is weather resistant, but the 13 A plug is on a short adapter lead that's only about a foot or so long, and that plug needs to be protected from the weather. A heavy duty extension lead that includes a weatherproof outlet works OK with the UMC.

The charger is built in to the car, so is as weatherproof as the car, and the charge cable and connector that is fitted to the UMC is weatherproof. None of this stuff is waterproof, in the sense that it would withstand being in water, although all that's normally needed for outdoor stuff is for it to be weatherproof, really just resistant to rain and snow. If possible it's a good idea to try and raise the UMC up slightly above ground level, in case there's any risk of it being sat in standing water outside.

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647 and JS77
These have been suggested before I think Electric vehicle leads

NB that a 13amp fused plug doesn't mean the cable is rated for 13amps - a common garden extension lead is unlikely to be.

Why not use blue arctic flex?

Blue ‘arctic’ flex is commonly used for extension leads available at major DIY stores and online.

Arctic cable was originally designed for 110v construction site use, where it offered flexibility down to -25°C.

Whilst a blue 230v version is available, it is not tested to the same standards and is not recommended for use below 5°C. Further information on this key limitation can be found in this excellent article within Wiring Matters.

Compared to H07RN-F it is far more prone to mechanical and UV damage.

Last edited:
I use one of these to protect the UMC plug from water:

upload_2020-9-19_22-32-36.jpeg

Available from Amazon and other retailers:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Masterpl...DSNYRDVHEZ8&psc=1&refRID=RASVE70D6DSNYRDVHEZ8

My go to for advice and products. That master plug thing above is one of them as is the matching extension lead. The thing to remember about extension leads is some arent rated at 13a and they need to be, and you do t want one much longer than you need asyou need to fully uncoil them

Essential accessories for Tesla Model S, Model X or Model 3 owners

I saw toughleads recommend a euro plug to 16a commando (not directly relevant to you question) which is really bad advice and after that it’s put me off them completely

If you are concerned about using an extension, knock the current down to 8A. As you will have seen elsewhere, the 13A plug design has a problem where the fuse gets fairly warm and over time this can easily result in a poor connection (and more heat). I'm using a 13A to Comando lead in a metal clad socket - the plug barely gets warm at 10A (but everything is new). This setup uses the 16A UMC option which used to be included free, but I think now is a paid option (and I need to remember to keep the current set below 13A!)

Thanks for all the advice :)

Last question... can the UMC be left on the ground during rain? (assuming the plug is in a weatherproof box likes the ones suggested above)

Yes, but try and make sure that it cannot get immersed in water, plus, as already mentioned, the adapter lead that plugs into the UMC and has the 13 A plug on is only about a foot long, and the 13 A plug is not weatherproof, so definitely needs to be inside a weatherproof enclosure that includes a cable seal.

The Toughleads cables linked to come with a suitable weatherproof outlet, or a dry box can be used. Also, again as mentioned earlier, if the UMC is going to be on the ground, and there's a chance it might end up in a puddle, it's safer to just raise it up so that risk is minimised. In the past I've just stood a granny lead box (like the UMC) on a brick, as a way to just make sure it didn't end up in a puddle during heavy rain.

• Informative
Reactions: JS77
From my Leaf and Soul experience the charger would probably be ok in drizzle but I wouldn’t risk leaving it in a puddle.
As above these brick chargers seem showerproof not waterproof.
An inch off the ground with a bucket’n’brick over it has worked for me with other chargers.
Tesla one doesn’t look much different.