Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-pin charging with extension lead.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I’m new here, my model 3 was delivered last weekend and I’m loving it.
I haven’t seen this discussed on here yet. I’m trying out life with no home charger installed due to cost and only renting my house.
I’ve been using superchargers fine but tried out using the 3-pin option over night last night.
All went well, charging from 40miles to 180 in 12 hours.
However, there was an electrical burning type smell coming from the extension cable I used. I’m assuming using a basic home one wasn’t the best option. (Even though 13a fused)
Anyone know of a good/ official extension cable I can use? Does anyone else here use one?
Thanks

Hi, I have been using this on a daily basis for the same needs as you. You do need a special cable to handle the high amps going through, otherwise your fuse will trip. A normal one will not work!

This one works well and have had no issues with this cable.

All went well, charging from 40miles to 180 in 12 hours.

That's about 12 miles for each hour of charge . . are you able to tell me how many Kwh are used each hour? (we will be visiting distance friends and relatives over Christmas and if, for this reason or that, I did plug into their supply I would like to ensure that I compensate them in some way.

That's about 12 miles for each hour of charge . . are you able to tell me how many Kwh are used each hour? (we will be visiting distance friends and relatives over Christmas and if, for this reason or that, I did plug into their supply I would like to ensure that I compensate them in some way.
You can see in the App how many kWh you added in the last charge. If you want to estimate the time taken with your specific vehicle, just limit the charging to 10A (which is what you will get max from the mobile charger) and look at the app for estimated charge time remaining. You can work out % per hour from there... you will be adding 2.3kWh per hour....

You can see in the App how many kWh you added in the last charge. If you want to estimate the time taken with your specific vehicle, just limit the charging to 10A (which is what you will get max from the mobile charger) and look at the app for estimated charge time remaining. You can work out % per hour from there... you will be adding 2.3kWh per hour....
Is limiting the amps something I should be doing in the app or will it automatically switch to whatever input it’s receiving?

Just building on some of the other answers. Many extension leads aren't really suitable for continuos loads which charing is so getting a good 13a one is a good idea. The screwfix one appears ok as it says 13a, some people want to see the cable core size, the bigger the better, but not everyone lists it.

If you still have doubts, you can turn the current down in the car once charging has started. It typically remembers what you set it to for next time based on location. You're probably charging at 10A at the moment, if you're worried about the cables, knocking it down will help but of course you charge more slowly. The other thing to remember is to full unwind the cable and try and spread it out.

The socket you're plugged into should also ideally not have anyuthing plugged in next to it if its a double socket. ie don't run a heater of one side of the double socket and charge the car on the other side.

To answer Fotry-Twos question, the UK UMC on a normal domestic socket should be charging at a max 10 amps. which at 230V is 2.3kw. It might fluctuate a bit depending on voltage.

Was you using an extension lead that was on a coil? If so you really need to reel the whole thing out as they get bloody hot when used with a lot of current passing through them and can melt/catch fire if all coiled up.
Yes I was, which now seems bloody obvious it was over heating. I’ll be getting the cable suggested above. Although at 10m it’ll have to bend around in some places as it’s very long

Reactions: Russty
I bought a lead from Tough Leads that is heavy duty and designed for EV's and have been happy with it. They also have an attachment that can go through a letterbox that you might find useful and is worth looking at when ordering:

My order is shown below, the letter box adapter is cheaper now than when I bought it:
Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 15.59.57.png

Reactions: jamesp26
I bought a lead from Tough Leads that is heavy duty and designed for EV's and have been happy with it. They also have an attachment that can go through a letterbox that you might find useful and is worth looking at when ordering:

My order is shown below, the letter box adapter is cheaper now than when I bought it:
View attachment 881343
Very nice!

The UMC has a temperature sensor in it. When it detects the plug getting hot it turns down the current keeping it all safe. With an extension lead there Is nothing to protect the plug at the wall overheating. Even with a lead rated at 13A if the socket is worn you still won’t be able to pull 13a. If using an extension I would manually limit the charge to 10A.

View attachment 881343
Worth me getting it while I decide which Charge point to get and saving the money for it.

Just building on some of the other answers. Many extension leads aren't really suitable for continuos loads which charing is so getting a good 13a one is a good idea. The screwfix one appears ok as it says 13a, some people want to see the cable core size, the bigger the better, but not everyone lists it.
You are not wrong but based on what experts have said on other threads until you go over 10-15 metres a 1.5mm2 core should be fine and going bigger will not make any real difference. After that 2.5mm2 would be advised. Personally I charged with 30meter high quality 2.5mm cable plugged into a brand new outdoor socket. for a week all night every night on holiday last year and it was 100% fine. no heat. no issues.

I also bought a lead from Tough Leads.

The H07RN-F cable will take a fair amount of abuse, and not get brittle in cold weather (blue extension leads from the stack-high-sell-cheap outlets are prone to that). I bought a decent length (for use also when travelling), and I went one size up on cable diameter (not needed for the length I'm using, but there is also the length of the UMC, and it does mean I can use a "Friends extension" as well if I was a few feet short when visiting friends). I figure its putting less strain on anything ... and if the UMC trips due to overheat, in the middle of the night, I'll be properly annoyed in the morning!

If its raining I do
  • Brick on the ground (keep the plug-and-socket off the surface)
  • Bucket on top (keep the rain off)
  • Another brick on top (stop the bucket blowing over!)
Check temperature of 13AMP plug and socket periodically - regular 13AMP sockets are not really intended for continuous running flat-out 24/7 and, in particular, "a really old extension socket in the garage" might not be up to it ... if the socket/plug gets hot then try a different socket elsewhere - nearer to the fusebox is likely to be better.

Check the plug temperature again before going to bed :)