Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 pin habits — leave plug in car but not in wall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MyNameIsMax

WheresMyTesla.com
Feb 15, 2020
GB
Couldn’t find anything in search for this, but it’s a funny one to phrase.

I’ve been plugging in the connector end to my Model 3 when I get home, then not plugging in the 3 pin end to the wall inside until I go to bed (drama with plug sockets, don’t ask...)

Then sometimes in the morning will disconnect again from the wall, but leave it in the Model 3.

Are there any issues with leaving it connected, or disconnecting it on the wall socket end (after charging has stopped, naturally)?

I regularly leave a type 2 cable attached to the car at work, waiting for someone else with a longer cable to finish charging. Shouldn't be a problem. What is not so safe is disconnecting whilst the charge is in progress and drawing a high current - the type-2 cable locks in place to prevent this. You have no clear guarantee that the car won't start to charge or condition unless you unlock the charge port. With 10A, I think you should be OK using the switch on the socket, but I'm not sure what the 'on load' disconnect cycle rating of a normal socket is.

Reactions: MyNameIsMax
continually doing that could cause spikes etc

I know nought about Leccy, but I thought the "data" pins were shorter and therefore disconnected first and cut the power in an orderly fashion?

Other than Commando with no interlock (bad idea anyway with risk of kids sticking things in etc.) are there installations which are not locked during charging and actually allow pulling a Type-2 cable?

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. I always go into the app to stop charging, then turn off at the wall socket and then unplug the wall plug. Then to start again, plug in at the wall, turn on the socket, and the car gets itself going.

Reactions: Gatsojon