Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 pin home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I'm figuring out how to set up my home charging for my soon to arrive Model 3.

I only do about 50 kms a day on average, so I was thinking of going with the 16A caravan type plug. But unfortunately the adaptors have been out of stock for a couple of months and who knows when they'll be available. so I need a plan B.

The next option would appear to be a 15 amp standard 3 pin plug which would give me about the same charge rate as the caravan plug. Is there any reason why the 15 amp 3 pin plug option shouldn't work? I assume the 3 pin charger that comes with the Tesla can handle 15 amp and isn't limited to 10 amps, but I'm not sure.

Also, any recommendation for other adaptors I should buy to maximise available charge stations around NZ for road trips?

Cheers Drew

Until recently the 15A plug was limited to 12 or 13A (and the 10A plug to 8A). But I understand this is being relaxed in a software update?

50km takes about 8 kwh, so about 37 Ah @ 220v. 2.5-3 hours charging on the 15A plug depending on the update. Certainly fine if that's how you want to run it. The only potential downside is that on the odd occasion when you come home at zero and plug in, you'll only be roughly 50% the next morning. But a 16A commando isn't any better, you need to get the HPWC installed if you want to go faster.

I find you don't really need any cables or adapters for travelling. Just get yourself set up for chargenet and use those (plus the superchargers).

My commute is 40-45 a day and I've been using 8amp since I got the car no problems, I get 120-140km overnight.

A 15 amp plug or caravan would give you twice that but you dont need to rush imo

The only other adapter you'd potentially need is a type 2- type 2 cable for public AC charging but they are ~$300 and you'll never make that back in terms of cost, just depends if its convenience..

Until recently the 15A plug was limited to 12 or 13A (and the 10A plug to 8A). But I understand this is being relaxed in a software update?

50km takes about 8 kwh, so about 37 Ah @ 220v. 2.5-3 hours charging on the 15A plug depending on the update. Certainly fine if that's how you want to run it. The only potential downside is that on the odd occasion when you come home at zero and plug in, you'll only be roughly 50% the next morning. But a 16A commando isn't any better, you need to get the HPWC installed if you want to go faster.

I find you don't really need any cables or adapters for travelling. Just get yourself set up for chargenet and use those (plus the superchargers).
Hey Khayyam,
Thx for the tip about chargenet. I've set up that app, which seems really helpful. But it seems I'll need an adapter for either CHAdeMO, CCS or Type 2 AC. And it doesn't seem to show the Tesla supercharger locations unless I've missed something.

My commute is 40-45 a day and I've been using 8amp since I got the car no problems, I get 120-140km overnight.

A 15 amp plug or caravan would give you twice that but you dont need to rush imo

The only other adapter you'd potentially need is a type 2- type 2 cable for public AC charging but they are ~$300 and you'll never make that back in terms of cost, just depends if its convenience..
Great, that's a relief. Good to hear from someone doing similar kms to me and its working with the 10A charge.

Your car will have CCS so all the chargenet chargers will be usable - they are all equipped with both a Chademo and a CCS cable.

Chargenet doesn’t show Tesla chargers, they only show their own chargers.

if you want to see all available chargers, download Plugshare

Reactions: evDrew
Hi all,
I'm figuring out how to set up my home charging for my soon to arrive Model 3.

I only do about 50 kms a day on average, so I was thinking of going with the 16A caravan type plug. But unfortunately the adaptors have been out of stock for a couple of months and who knows when they'll be available. so I need a plan B.

The next option would appear to be a 15 amp standard 3 pin plug which would give me about the same charge rate as the caravan plug. Is there any reason why the 15 amp 3 pin plug option shouldn't work? I assume the 3 pin charger that comes with the Tesla can handle 15 amp and isn't limited to 10 amps, but I'm not sure.

Also, any recommendation for other adaptors I should buy to maximise available charge stations around NZ for road trips?

Cheers Drew
Plugshare app will show you all the EV chargers in NZ, free, paid, directions on how to find chargers plus photos .
You can filter by what adapters you have CCS, Tesla, Type2, etc.
Android and iphone

Reactions: evDrew
The only tricky thing with plugshare is setting the filters correctly so that you actually go to useful locations! Plus some little oddities like the Whangarei charger which is behind a locked gate except during business hours...

The only tricky thing with plugshare is setting the filters correctly so that you actually go to useful locations! Plus some little oddities like the Whangarei charger which is behind a locked gate except during business hours...
True, I just have Type 2 (I have a cable too) and CCS/SAE Combo selected in the filters. PlugShare is partly crowd-sourced data so if you find something useful, like you mention for opening hour limits you can edit the data in the App yourself and aid the EV community writ large.

True, I just have Type 2 (I have a cable too) and CCS/SAE Combo selected in the filters. PlugShare is partly crowd-sourced data so if you find something useful, like you mention for opening hour limits you can edit the data in the App yourself and aid the EV community writ large.
Indeed. To be fair, plugshare does include this info, but you have to make sure that you actually read the details rather than just rocking up based on the icon.