Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Prong 240v plug, no neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've gotten pretty good guidance here and also have had plenty of time to google and youtube this, yet you keep proposing code and safety violations.
Not esoteric violations. Basic ones that show a real misunderstanding for how electricity and wiring works.

That's fine. There's a reason being an electrician requires training and experience, etc.

Please go hire an electrician.

Can I change to a 14-50? Any potential problems with the car or charging by doing this?

Thanks
Code violation, dangerous overloading of the circuit, possibly illegal depending on your communities building codes...

Your wiring is dangerously undersized for a 14-50. Best case, you'll trip the breaker. Worst case, you'll burn your house down. I'd call that a "potential problem". 😉

With that adapter the car will try to pull 32A, which will trip your breaker. The correct, safe, and legal thing to do is use a 14-30. You can order the 14-30 adapter direct from Tesla, or have the service center order it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hey, I love the notoriety! And I haven't been electrocuted nor burned down either my house or garage. I've wired several houses in several states, and they haven't burned down either, nor have any persons been shocked. So, it might be that there's a LOT of over protection going on. But you electricians keep on electricianing!
And people survive playing Russian roulette. The first few times, anyway. The NEC is there for your safety, not just your inconvenience.

Can I change to a 14-50? Any potential problems with the car or charging by doing this?
Already been answered correctly by others but I will add one thing. It is possible (but highly unlikely) that you have the correct wire size in place for your run and conditions. IF (thats a big IF) that is true you may be able to use the 14-50 and change out your breaker. Otherwise lots of potential problems so don't do it. If you don't know for sure you should have an electrician to check it for you.

Already been answered correctly by others but I will add one thing. It is possible (but highly unlikely) that you have the correct wire size in place for your run and conditions. IF (thats a big IF) that is true you may be able to use the 14-50 and change out your breaker. Otherwise lots of potential problems so don't do it. If you don't know for sure you should have an electrician to check it for you.
Thanks everyone. I'll attempt to get a 14-30 from another shop today. If not possible, I'll get with an electrician to move forward with the 14-50.

You've gotten pretty good guidance here and also have had plenty of time to google and youtube this, yet you keep proposing code and safety violations.
Not esoteric violations. Basic ones that show a real misunderstanding for how electricity and wiring works.

That's fine. There's a reason being an electrician requires training and experience, etc.

Please go hire an electrician
Ok. Didn't realized I missed something basic, happy I asked. I'll consult a professional. Thanks again for speaking up.

Reactions: ninefiveone
I've never lived in a home that didn't have a 10-30 for the dryer hookup, so to see it's been explicitly banned since 1996 is a shock (pun intended). Thanks for introducing me to another weekend research rabbithole!
This one is fairly new too. We have a total of 3: 2 original for water heater and dryer, and 1 added after construction where the last owner relocated the appliance. The wire for the new one is orange and I think it's 10-2. That's why I thought the larger plug could work... But I've been googling and reading in short spurts so I defer to the experience here.

This one is fairly new too. We have a total of 3: 2 original for water heater and dryer, and 1 added after construction where the last owner relocated the appliance. The wire for the new one is orange and I think it's 10-2. That's why I thought the larger plug could work... But I've been googling and reading in short spurts so I defer to the experience here.
10ga wire is borderline acceptable for a 30a circuit depending on how long the run is. It is definitely too small for a 50a circuit that is needed for the 14-50. If the run is accessible you could consider replacing the wire with appropriate size (or bigger) for a 50a-60a circuit so you can use a 14-50. Then you would also have the option of installing a wall charger.

• Helpful
10ga wire is borderline acceptable for a 30a circuit depending on how long the run is. It is definitely too small for a 50a circuit that is needed for the 14-50. If the run is accessible you could consider replacing the wire with appropriate size (or bigger) for a 50a-60a circuit so you can use a 14-50. Then you would also have the option of installing a wall charger.
Nice. I'll mention this to the electrician.

Thanks

I'll attempt to get a 14-30 from another shop today. If not possible, I'll get with an electrician to move forward with the 14-50.
The way you are talking about it, you seem to think if you can't find the 14-30 in a local Tesla store, it's impossible to get. The Tesla stores frequently don't carry many (or any) of those plug adapters. Why don't you just order the 14-30 adapter from the Tesla online store? That's what people do.

The way you are talking about it, you seem to think if you can't find the 14-30 in a local Tesla store, it's impossible to get. The Tesla stores frequently don't carry many (or any) of those plug adapters. Why don't you just order the 14-30 adapter from the Tesla online store? That's what people do.
You guess it... no stock locally and also out of stock online.. I have an alert set up though, hoping it comes back in stock soon.