Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 questions about 2017 MS (MU1 - AP2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I have two.questions

1. If used vehicle (2017) is purchased with Tesla additional one year warranty is it possible to purchase "Extended Service Agreement (2 or 4 years) " before that one extra year expire?

2. .If car has MU1 and AP2 will i still be able to get sentry mode if purchased MU2 later?

3. I read a lot about black/white cameras in MU1 - AP2 . What those cameras do ? Is back up camera also black/white?

Thank you in advance!

I don’t know the answer to #1.

For #2, yes, buying the infotainment upgrade will enable sentry mode and all other features present on new cars.

For #3, the side repeater and front facing cameras on AP 2.0 have RCCC color filters. They are not fully black and white. Red hues are present as well. This is really not a problem for any practical purpose, including sentry mode, and you can find lots of examples on YouTube to show you what the output actually looks like. The backup camera is full color.

...1. If used vehicle (2017) is purchased with Tesla additional one year warranty is it possible to purchase "Extended Service Agreement (2 or 4 years) " before that one extra year expire?...

You might want to take a look at:

Extended Service Agreement

I think if you bought used from Tesla, you get what warranty that it gives you and you cannot buy more than that.

If you bought from a private party, not non-Tesla dealers, you can still buy ESA before the new warranty expires.

If you bought from non-Tesla dealers, you cannot buy ESA.

1. If used vehicle (2017) is purchased with Tesla additional one year warranty is it possible to purchase "Extended Service Agreement (2 or 4 years) " before that one extra year expire?

No - not possible to buy direct from Tesla but you should be able to purchase the Xcelerate X-care third-party warranty.

2. .If car has MU1 and AP2 will i still be able to get sentry mode if purchased MU2 later?

Yes.

3. I read a lot about black/white cameras in MU1 - AP2 . What those cameras do ? Is back up camera also black/white?

Like @ucmndd said, the cameras are not in black and white - just not full color. To be honest, the color reproduction on the newer AP2.5 cameras is not great either. The other day I parked next to a bright red (think fire engine red) truck. On the repeater camera, the truck looked decidedly orange. Back up camera is color-accurate.

Reactions: vegas888
thank you for you answers!

Regarding my first question, i have read 3 times Extended Service Agreement and still can not find where it says i can not purchase it.
It says "excluding 3rd party dealers and cars purchased from a 3rd party dealer".

But im going to purchase my car directly from Tesla (used) .

If its true i can not get ESA from Tesla then buying used MS (3-4)yr old is very bad deal in general.

Paying 55k for used car whose original warranty will expire in 5 months from now and getting only 1 year/10000 miles after that.

I have a sept build 2017 with sentry mode and did not purchase the Infotainment package. I have multiple sentry events recorded on my flash drive when we park. Maybe there is something additional I'm not getting?

Maybe something has changed but usually, 2017 S/X comes with MCU1.

MCU1 S/X can have Sentry Mode Alarms but they do not have video recording capability until like @DSolie stated you got HW3.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
I do have MCU1. No side camera display It's a 2017 MS90D, version 2020.44

I have tons of sentry folders on my flash drive. Individual files titled left repeater, right repeater, front. I always have the multiple sentry events notifications when we park.

I do have MCU1. No side camera display It's a 2017 MS90D, version 2020.44

I have tons of sentry folders on my flash drive. Individual files titled left repeater, right repeater, front. I always have the multiple sentry events notifications when we park.

Cal, you must have HW3 then? Did you buy FSD, or did you buy a used tesla from tesla?

No I have HW2.5 and don't intend to bite early. If theres a HW4 coming, I'll wait. I don't have the side camera display on my MCU1 and do not intend to pay Tesla for something I just don't really feel I need.

FSD will be using them just fine without paying for a MCU upgrade.

If it doesn't Tesla will need to fix it so it is completely functional.

MCU1 / HW 2.5+ is perfectly capable of sentry event recording.

No I have HW2.5 and don't intend to bite early. If theres a HW4 coming, I'll wait. I don't have the side camera display on my MCU1 and do not intend to pay Tesla for something I just don't really feel I need.

FSD will be using them just fine without paying for a MCU upgrade.

If it doesn't Tesla will need to fix it so it is completely functional.

That makes sense. August 2017 S/X do come with HW2.5 per Tesla blog that enables video recordings.

You are on point about why buy iPhone 11 when iPhone 12 would come next.

HW4 is projected to be massed produced in Q4 2021 if you can wait.

That makes sense. August 2017 S/X do come with HW2.5 per Tesla blog that enables video recordings.

You are on point about why buy iPhone 11 when iPhone 12 would come next.

HW4 is projected to be massed produced in Q4 2021 if you can wait.
FWIW.... I updated my 2016 S90D to MCU2 and HW3 (have pre-paid FSD). I was reluctant at first to do the "full" upgrade with MCU2 but am very VERY happy to have done so. As many others have stated: "it feels like a brand new car".

I recently upgraded my iPhone 8 to iPhone 11 (purposefully eschewing the 12/12 mini) because my NEED was the much better camera and battery life.

How does this all relate to the OP? Well it made sense to me to do certain upgrades, wait on others yet I feel more comfortable getting upgrades that seem to offer clear advantages NOW that will hold me in good stead until the "next big thing" comes along and I can justify getting an entirely new vehicle. For now, very pleased with what a useful upgrade MCU2/HW3 is for my 2016.

Also, with the MCU2 upgrade I too have sentry recordings, just with the reduced color from HW2 cameras. Its very useful tho!