Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Reasons Not to get the White Interior

mhonig

Help - cards disappeared on Model S Console
Mar 24, 2015
Palm Harbor FL 34685
Last week I took delivery of my red Model Y with the white interior. It was a big mistake, because the white interior has a white panel on the dash just below the AC vent. I believe the black interior has a woodgrain panel.

After some rainy weather, our Tampabay skies cleared, and I discovered that the reflection from the white panel causes not only a distraction, but particularly in the case of the driver's outside mirror, it reduced visibility.

I think I will have no choice but to purchase a black film kit and have the panel professionally covered. Tesla, Inc., if you are reading this, please bring this problem to the attention of your design department.

IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg
IMG_1041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 15

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
We're leaning towards switching to the white interior, and our plan will be to immediately replace it with the RPM Tesla flat CF product:

RPM Dash Replacement

*Note, I am in no way affiliated with RPM Tesla nor have I purchased anything from them in the past.*

Tundrok

Sep 1, 2020
Seattle
I ordered a wood grain dash direct from Tesla for $175+tax. I picked it up the same time that I picked up the MY and installed it when I got home.

View attachment 590656

Problem solved before it started.

In a related note, I have a nearly new white dashboard for sale if anyone wants to give that a go.

My SA told me without any doubt that I simply cannot purchase the dash replacement directly from Tesla. *eyeroll* How did you order yours? I want to do the same

Reactions: Gigaron

mhonig

Help - cards disappeared on Model S Console
Mar 24, 2015
Palm Harbor FL 34685
I ordered a wood grain dash direct from Tesla for $175+tax. I picked it up the same time that I picked up the MY and installed it when I got home.

View attachment 590656

Problem solved before it started.

In a related note, I have a nearly new white dashboard for sale if anyone wants to give that a go.
How much? I would consider having it painted flat black.

autopilot_bahn

Sep 22, 2020
Philadelphia
Similar situation. I ordered the white interior but didn’t realize that meant it would also include the white dash treatment. I assumed it would be the same wood grain, which I know many people do not like, but I do.

Do you have a link of where you purchased the alternate wood grain panel? I can’t find it on the Tesla website.

I also considered trying to find someone who prefers the white (seeing as these are available as a wrap kit, there must be some demand) and possibly trading... but not sure it’s worth the effort.

Also curious if switching the panel is something I could potentially DIY or if it’s necessary to have it done by a service tech...

Jun 26, 2020
Maine
This has me second guessing white interior which I currently have on order. I assume everyone has this same issue with white interior?
I have the white interior and love it. The reflection of the dash strip is not a problem for me. It’s noticeable if you’re looking for it, but if you’re paying attention to your driving it’s invisible. I do wear polarized sunglasses 95% of the time though. I would recommend keeping the white interior and covering the dash strip if you really need to. Abstract Ocean has a nice vinyl wrap kit for it.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I have the Model 3 with the white interior, and it has the same issue.

Third parties sell some rather nice looking panel pieces. I plan on either getting a flat black one, piano black or a carbon fiber one.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
This has me second guessing white interior which I currently have on order. I assume everyone has this same issue with white interior?

Everyone has the same issue. Whether it bugs them depends on the individual.

I don't think it should dissuade anyone because the white interior is really nice, but it does mean having to find a third party alternative.

I say this as someone who has always had black interiors. I just couldn't deal with that wood panel, and liked the fact that the white interior brightens up the interior.

Tes-la

Sep 4, 2020
Eagle, ID
I ordered the white interior specifically because I did not like the appearance (on my web browser anyway) of the wood panel. I take delivery tomorrow, so we’ll see.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

BDC62

Sep 17, 2020
Florida
I also have the white interior and love it. I live in Florida, as well, but have never noticed the reflection. I will be looking for it the next time I go for a drive. Ha!

EggyB

Apr 24, 2020
Toronto
I love my white interior too! It looks so clean and snazzy. I’ve gotten many admiring comments.

I’ve had no problems with glare or reflections. I’m sure it’s there, but not noticeable or bothersome to me. I had the front windows tinted, which some folks reported would worsen the glare, but I’ve still had no issues.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC