Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Reasons Not to get the White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mhonig

Help - cards disappeared on Model S Console
Mar 24, 2015
Palm Harbor FL 34685
Last week I took delivery of my red Model Y with the white interior. It was a big mistake, because the white interior has a white panel on the dash just below the AC vent. I believe the black interior has a woodgrain panel.

After some rainy weather, our Tampabay skies cleared, and I discovered that the reflection from the white panel causes not only a distraction, but particularly in the case of the driver's outside mirror, it reduced visibility.

I think I will have no choice but to purchase a black film kit and have the panel professionally covered. Tesla, Inc., if you are reading this, please bring this problem to the attention of your design department.

IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg
IMG_1041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 101
I ordered a wood grain dash direct from Tesla for $175+tax. I picked it up the same time that I picked up the MY and installed it when I got home.

View attachment 590656

Problem solved before it started.

In a related note, I have a nearly new white dashboard for sale if anyone wants to give that a go.

My SA told me without any doubt that I simply cannot purchase the dash replacement directly from Tesla. *eyeroll* How did you order yours? I want to do the same

Reactions: Gigaron
I ordered a wood grain dash direct from Tesla for $175+tax. I picked it up the same time that I picked up the MY and installed it when I got home.

View attachment 590656

Problem solved before it started.

In a related note, I have a nearly new white dashboard for sale if anyone wants to give that a go.
How much? I would consider having it painted flat black.

Similar situation. I ordered the white interior but didn’t realize that meant it would also include the white dash treatment. I assumed it would be the same wood grain, which I know many people do not like, but I do.

Do you have a link of where you purchased the alternate wood grain panel? I can’t find it on the Tesla website.

I also considered trying to find someone who prefers the white (seeing as these are available as a wrap kit, there must be some demand) and possibly trading... but not sure it’s worth the effort.

Also curious if switching the panel is something I could potentially DIY or if it’s necessary to have it done by a service tech...

This has me second guessing white interior which I currently have on order. I assume everyone has this same issue with white interior?
I have the white interior and love it. The reflection of the dash strip is not a problem for me. It’s noticeable if you’re looking for it, but if you’re paying attention to your driving it’s invisible. I do wear polarized sunglasses 95% of the time though. I would recommend keeping the white interior and covering the dash strip if you really need to. Abstract Ocean has a nice vinyl wrap kit for it.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
This has me second guessing white interior which I currently have on order. I assume everyone has this same issue with white interior?

Everyone has the same issue. Whether it bugs them depends on the individual.

I don't think it should dissuade anyone because the white interior is really nice, but it does mean having to find a third party alternative.

I say this as someone who has always had black interiors. I just couldn't deal with that wood panel, and liked the fact that the white interior brightens up the interior.