Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 SolarEdge 18XB7 Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My system has 2 SolarEdge inverters. The first one went down in January with a 18XB7 error. They said a replacement was required. In late April they installed the replacement that failed immediately with the same error. Still waiting for the replacement for the replacement. Saturday my second inverter went down with the same error. I thought maybe there might be soon the environment causing the problem so I started researching and discovered that SolarEdge used defective capacitors on the vintage inverters that I have. So the majority of these inverters were gong to fail in what looks like 2 years.

I believe Tesla and SolarEdge knew the expected failures and knowingly took no proactive actions to mitigate customer impacts. They are telling me that they will go they the same procedure which has had my system down for 8 months. I have attempted to escalate but have had no success. I would like to see both inverters replaced with non SolarEdge inverters which do not have known issues. Yes I realize that these inverters are not just plug n play.

Does any have any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?

Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
My system has 2 SolarEdge inverters. The first one went down in January with a 18XB7 error. They said a replacement was required. In late April they installed the replacement that failed immediately with the same error. Still waiting for the replacement for the replacement. Saturday my second inverter went down with the same error. I thought maybe there might be soon the environment causing the problem so I started researching and discovered that SolarEdge used defective capacitors on the vintage inverters that I have. So the majority of these inverters were gong to fail in what looks like 2 years.

I believe Tesla and SolarEdge knew the expected failures and knowingly took no proactive actions to mitigate customer impacts. They are telling me that they will go they the same procedure which has had my system down for 8 months. I have attempted to escalate but have had no success. I would like to see both inverters replaced with non SolarEdge inverters which do not have known issues. Yes I realize that these inverters are not just plug n play.

Does any have any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?

Thank you.

Do you have the inverters with the LED digital display on the front? (SE_____-US000NNU2)? And are you saying in April 2022 Tesla* replaced one of these older units with another older style unit with the LED display on the front?

(* I'm assuming Tesla or SolarCity was your installer since you're posting about your system here).

IMO, you're probably stuck in a pickle here because consumer protection laws in Florida aren't the best. And even in California, Tesla didn't necessarily go out of their way to make things right for this homeowner until they submitted a BBB complaint. You may also want to look into buying the extended warranty on SE inverters if you're concerned about your inverters failing. It's another hidden cost for having gone with SolarEdge.

Old thread:

SolarEdge warranty:

• Informative
The original inverter was a SE5000H with a display . It was replaced in April 2022 with another SE5000H without a display. I was told the updated version no longer had a display and were to be significantly more reliable. When I purchased the system they said SolarEdge was an upgrade because my design would be more efficient with their inverter.

The one that just failed is a SE10000H with a display.

I have a 25 year warranty with Tesla so not sure why I would need an extension with SolarEdge.

I guess I expected Tesla to try and make their mess right vs try to ignore the issues they created. I can open a BBB complaint, but will wait till Next week when they promised a response.

The original inverter was a SE5000H with a display . It was replaced in April 2022 with another SE5000H without a display. I was told the updated version no longer had a display and were to be significantly more reliable. When I purchased the system they said SolarEdge was an upgrade because my design would be more efficient with their inverter.

The one that just failed is a SE10000H with a display.

I have a 25 year warranty with Tesla so not sure why I would need an extension with SolarEdge.

I guess I expected Tesla to try and make their mess right vs try to ignore the issues they created. I can open a BBB complaint, but will wait till Next week when they promised a response.

You have a 25 year warranty from Tesla that covers all the components, labor, roof penetrations, etc? That seems... very generous from a company that isn't really known for generosity. I guess if that's what it says in your contract then you're good to go on hardware replacements.

The units without the display are the newer ones that are less prone (but not immune) to failures. If you're already getting the newer models there isn't much you can expect Tesla to do; and they will not pre-emptively replace an inverter that isn't broken. It's worth checking if you have a production guarantee in your contract; but odds are you're just missing out on the lost solar production each time an inverter goes offline.

SolarEdge's normal warranty on just the hardware in the USA is 12 years; up to 25 if you purchase the extended). Labor costs are not warrantied.

Reactions: dhrivnak
One inverter down since January. Replaced in April and failed immediately. Second inverter failed Saturday. Today both are down

I checked my warranty and it covers the entire system for 20 years and can not remember why but there is an addendum adding 5 years.

I do have a production guarantee and this year I am less than half. Not sure when they reconcile, but I am sure it will not meet the guarantee.

I called SolarEdge directly and Tesla had not yet opened a case. I asked why one installation would have 3 of the same failures and they said there might be something in the system inducing a surge. He would not acknowledge the capacitor issue. I emailed Tesla asking why a case has not yet been opened and for them to look at the entire installation electrically.

Not sure why I am doing there job.

One inverter down since January. Replaced in April and failed immediately. Second inverter failed Saturday. Today both are down

I checked my warranty and it covers the entire system for 20 years and can not remember why but there is an addendum adding 5 years.

I do have a production guarantee and this year I am less than half. Not sure when they reconcile, but I am sure it will not meet the guarantee.

I called SolarEdge directly and Tesla had not yet opened a case. I asked why one installation would have 3 of the same failures and they said there might be something in the system inducing a surge. He would not acknowledge the capacitor issue. I emailed Tesla asking why a case has not yet been opened and for them to look at the entire installation electrically.

Not sure why I am doing there job.

Why do you think be denied the production guarantee if it's in your contract? That's pretty cool you have a 25 year fully soup-to-nuts warranty plus a production guarantee.

There are a crap ton of threads on TMC with people who just can't seem to get through to Tesla Service. Other than stubbornly trying over and over and over, there isn't much else we can recommend you do. The only tip that seems to work is to call Tesla instead of trying to get to them via email or chat-bot.

But as things go (assuming they honor that production guarantee), you're probably in a better position that most. Since Tesla is supposed to make you whole for your estimated annual production... most people who post about issues on TMC don't have a production guarantee.

• Helpful
When you call them next, and I also recommend them calling again and again, I would remind them of their production guarantee. It might help light a fire under someone. My experience has been that I call and and call, and eventually get the one super helpful person that single handedly gets the ball rolling or the problem solved.

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
I thought I'd start this thread to document my experience with Tesla Energy support after my 3 year old SolarEdge inverter bricked itself last week with the 18xB7 error that sadly seems very common.

I called and logged the fault on Thursday 7/28 and they asked me for a picture of the inverter screen. I didn't hear anything further so I called on Monday and was told that they had opened an RMA with SolarEdge and would contact me when the replacement inverter arrived to arrange replacement.

I chatted with SolarEdge today and they confirmed the RMA had been approved on Friday 7/29 but they hadn't yet shipped the replacement. I'll check back in with them to see when it's been shipped...

So far so good - no wasted time getting a technician out to confirm the inverter really is dead and they got the RMA opened within 24 hours of my initial call.

I just hope the replacement arrives soon, it's very annoying that it failed at the best production time of year. Also I switched to a TOU plan earlier this year and I'm going to burn through all my peak net metering credits I had been saving for the winter ☹️

Attachments

• IMG_5081.jpeg
    IMG_5081.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 1,187
I thought I'd start this thread to document my experience with Tesla Energy support after my 3 year old SolarEdge inverter bricked itself last week with the 18xB7 error that sadly seems very common.

I called and logged the fault on Thursday 7/28 and they asked me for a picture of the inverter screen. I didn't hear anything further so I called on Monday and was told that they had opened an RMA with SolarEdge and would contact me when the replacement inverter arrived to arrange replacement.

I chatted with SolarEdge today and they confirmed the RMA had been approved on Friday 7/29 but they hadn't yet shipped the replacement. I'll check back in with them to see when it's been shipped...

So far so good - no wasted time getting a technician out to confirm the inverter really is dead and they got the RMA opened within 24 hours of my initial call.

I just hope the replacement arrives soon, it's very annoying that it failed at the best production time of year. Also I switched to a TOU plan earlier this year and I'm going to burn through all my peak net metering credits I had been saving for the winter ☹️

There are a few different threads about solar edge inverter failures. I merged your thread with this one, but there are other threads in this subforum about that topic as well.

My Solar Edge Inverter died too. I think the installer said he replaces 2 a week. In 10 years they will have replaced every one of their customers.

Took Solar Edge over a month to get me a new one after the RMA was ok’d.

I’ve had 2-3 micro optimizers for too.

5 year old system.

I,ve had my system for 9 months and received the 18xB7 code on 7/18. However system functioned fine until 7/30. Put service request in on 8/1. Received email 8/2 asking for photos of error. Sent several emails and texts asking if received and what status was. I finally callEd on 8/4 and was told inverter was being replaced and on order. they said it would take 1-2 weeks to receive and they would contact me for installation. I’ve been using the power wall grid charging feature to make up for production lost to fully charge PW so I’m not hit with large demand charges during peak times.

My 10k inverter is down since 6/6. Same unit as yours that was installed 18 months ago. My unit does not have the LED display. What kills me is I lost June and July and now going into August. That's $thousand+ in production. The replacement was approved maybe 6 weeks ago but I'm waiting and waiting (and yes, I call to get updates). Very frustrating...

• Informative
I've been without solar for 11 months. It took 4 visits from tesla to diagnose my inverter had failed. Each visit required about an hour of time playing phone tag with them. Every conversation about my solar was as if I had never talked to them before, they basically just play dumb. About 6 months ago they told me they would order a new inverter and that it may take a month or 2 to get here. After waiting those 2 months with no updates I went back to playing phone tag, since then I've been lied to by tesla and by solaredge multiple times about my inverter being shipped. Finally yesterday a solaredge manager admitted to me that the item was out of stock, and that I was 38th on the list for a new one when they arrived, which he said would be somewhere between 30 days and forever. I've decided to pursue arbitration.

Never in my life have I dealt with any companies that were anywhere close to as dishonest and useless as tesla and solaredge. I can not understand how either of them are still in business.

Adding to what seems to be a recurring and frustrating problem with Tesla Solar and Solar Edge inverters. My system was installed by Tesla (12.24KW- 36 panels and 3 power walls- 19,180.35 kWh estimated production by Tesla) in Dec 2020. The first SolarEdge HD 10000 inverter failed in March 2020 just days after PTO. In July this year while on vacation the SolarEdge inverter failed again.

It took Tesla Solar 2 weeks to come out and confirm what they probably could have seen online. The Tesla Field tech filed an RMA with SolarEdge on July 26. Last Friday I contacted both Tesla and this week SolarEdge for an update and both were useless and said they were waiting for a replacement inverter. The Tesla rep said it may take 6-10 weeks!

Meanwhile, I am missing out on peak summer production. I asked Tesla Solar about the production guarantee and they sent me this...
I do understand that system failure is unfavorable for your home energy needs at this time. System parts can malfunction, and we guarantee we will service and/or replace any defective part with accordance to the manufacturer warranty. System downtime is taken into consideration during the performance guarantee. We guarantee that during your contract term, the system will generate the kilowatt hours as set forth in your agreement listed under the limited warranty section. If at the end of your 24 month anniversary, as specified in the agreement, the cumulative actual kWh generated by the system is less than what we guaranteed, we will send you a refund check for the difference.

Has anyone gone through this production guarantee process with Tesla?
Any tips on how to get my SolarEdge SE10000H inverter replaced?

I even tried messaging the US GM of SolarEdge through Linkedin- his name is Peter Mathews- US GM Maybe if enough of us write him - they will improve their inventory of replacement inverters.

3DE1CE9C-1F33-41F9-8160-320D82096634.jpeg

Last edited:
I for one cannot believe that SolarEdge is still making inverters that fail. I had a failed inverter and hoped the replacement maybe was somehow “correct” and would not fail in the future. But now I’m not so confident after reading a few posts of people on their second or third replacement.

I’m too lazy to search for the link now, but I have a thread here detailing contacting SolarEdge first if you have an inverter failure. I highly recommend trying that first. I think I was able to shave off a few weeks, at least that first Tesla visit to confirm the dead inverter never happened.

Reactions: CalMdl3
At this point I wonder if it makes sense to pursue a class action lawsuit- it would appear Solar Edge has manufactured a product that has 10-20% of its warranted life. 1-2 years versus 10 or 25 years and has failed to provide adequate replacement parts. This is costing customer $100s and maybe $1,000 in lost production or forced grid energy purchases. I am not sure how we get their attention as today they were focused on announcing their latest products while existing customer wait…. Check out their Twitter announcement today.

Reactions: GeorgeIoak
I am currently waiting for my 5th SE-10000H replacement in 2.5 years after the dreaded 18xB7 failure. I don't know what the problem is but they just keep putting new ones in, each time costing me hundreds of dollars in losses. This was a terrible investment.

I am currently waiting for my 5th SE-10000H replacement in 2.5 years after the dreaded 18xB7 failure. I don't know what the problem is but they just keep putting new ones in, each time costing me hundreds of dollars in losses. This was a terrible investment.
Wow 5 inverters failed in 2.5 years! Since your install and permission to operate - how many months have you been without solar generation over 2.5 years?

I calculated I am currently at 3.5 months over 17 months (20% of my operating time lost due inverter failure and lack of parts).

I really think this is a much larger problem than has been shared by either Tesla or Solar Edge.