Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 standard or performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 100% not going to drift the car. I did auto cross and drag race a then-new '04 WRX STI. That was a blast. Maybe if an SCCA Solo event opens up near me, I might borrow the grocery getter to dodge some cones. But power and brakes don't really factor much in solo racing, it's all handling and tires.

I'm leaning toward the standard though. Then I don't have to buy a set of 18's right away. She'll never know the difference with the speakers or brembos. As long as I don't try to take out a 'vette in a stop light drag race, it should get the job done.
I think based on what you said that the base model will work for you - but for heaven sakes upgrade the wheels - those 18" wheels are butt ugly.

Maybe you'll find some M3P owner in the north east or midwest who wants all season tires and 18" wheels for winter.

I've been driving my M3P for over a month now - and its a blast to drive I would have been disappointed if I had bought the M3SR - my 911 used to be able to make me laugh but mashing the pedal on the M3P makes me giggle which is not a good look on a 64 year old of Sicilian ancestry.

I think based on what you said that the base model will work for you - but for heaven sakes upgrade the wheels - those 18" wheels are butt ugly.
Don't the 18's look cool if you pop off the plastic hub caps? I couldn't care about the minuscule range hit driving around town.

I mentioned the plusses and minus to my wife about everything in this thread. It was pretty funny:

The performance has much better audio- "Ehhhhh....."
The 20" wheels ride rougher- "EWWWWW, I don't want that"
The base battery can charge to 100, the P should only go to 80%- "Oh I don't like that at all"
But the P is so much faster, it'll be more fun to drive - ......... silence.
The P has all wheel drive- "I'll take the Jeep if it snows" (We're moving to Virginia, not a lot of snow)
So I can take the $10k savings and put it towards my truck? "Sure."

Sounds like the base model for her. Thanks for all the inputs.

Don't the 18's look cool if you pop off the plastic hub caps? I couldn't care about the minuscule range hit driving around town.

I mentioned the plusses and minus to my wife about everything in this thread. It was pretty funny:

The performance has much better audio- "Ehhhhh....."
The 20" wheels ride rougher- "EWWWWW, I don't want that"
The base battery can charge to 100, the P should only go to 80%- "Oh I don't like that at all"
But the P is so much faster, it'll be more fun to drive - ......... silence.
The P has all wheel drive- "I'll take the Jeep if it snows" (We're moving to Virginia, not a lot of snow)
So I can take the $10k savings and put it towards my truck? "Sure."

Sounds like the base model for her. Thanks for all the inputs.
Yeah, good decision. Would have done the same.

Reactions: zimm17
I was in the same boat, almost pulled the trigger on the performance but ended going with the model 3 rwd.
I am not sure in what state you are in but my state offered $2,250 incentive as long as msrp is below 50k
That tip the scale for me together with being able to charge 100% and lfp battery lasting longer

I searched and couldn't find a comparison between the base 3 and the performance (they're all LR vs PP). With the price reduction it's a $10k bump to double the power and get AWD. What else is different? I can't find a list.

If it was for me, I'd get a performance all day. However, this will be my wife's commuter and grocery getter. I'm sure I'll drive it too, but not sure if it's worth 1/4 more money, probably higher insurance, etc. Commute will be 20 miles each way and we'll have a full size truck for road trips/family duties so range really isn't a factor.
If it’s the wife's car, it’s her call, not yours! My wife wanted a M3. Did not want the performance model. So, we didn’t get it. My car is a 124Abarth, so if I want to get frisky with a car, I have mine. She doesn’t want me f’ing around with her car.
People need their own stuff!