Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 time Tesla owner looking to return....some advice on 2016/2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that this site is so hard to navigate/search, I hope that you all will forgive me for starting a new thread on something for which there may already be data out there.

I have owned a Roadster, an early S (60) and a 2017 P100D. I sold the P100D when I relocated from Palo Alto to the NY area and move back to Porsche (Macan). Needless to say, I miss both NorCal AND Tesla!

Looking at a used P90DL (from Tesla) but wanted to better understand the changes/upgrades that happened in 2016.

This is a 'facelift' 90- so I presume mid to late year build, with about 40,000 miles.

Seems to have every option (akin to my 2017 P100D) and is in the rare (meaning 'didn't appeal to many') Titanium color- which I happen to love.

Any words of advice or guidance here? Specific questions:
1. it has Enhanced Auto Pilot---what does that NOT do for me that newer systems do?
2. any guess as to when in 2016 it was built based on the model and facelift?

Seems to be priced well, includes a 4 year warranty on battery, etc......and I love the color and options....so I am tempted.

EAP does everything FSD does on the highway. Auto lane change, Navigate on Auto Pilot, etc.
EAP does NOT do anything city that's recently come out/coming out. (stop light recogntion, recognizing orange cones, etc).

That color was not popular (my least favorite color too). It might get discounted if it takes a while to sell. The newer cars have dash cam, sentry mode, games, Netflix, FSD capability, smart summon, etc. it’s a lot more than AP1, but I have AP1 and feel it is just enough for highway driving. Our Model 3 has FSD and is a much more technologically advanced car.

I purchased a used 2016 Model S 75 from Tesla a month ago. I found their prices to be fair, but the closer is that they include a warranty which no one else does (or can).

I constantly check the used car availability to re assure myself that I got a good deal. I have noticed that they continually reduce prices until the inventory sells. I've seen many cars "disappear" from inventory within hours of a price reduction. Timing is everything.

Reactions: 2101Guy
While pricing on used Tesla is appealing, don't neglect buying new.

The latest Model S Long Distance + is a remarkable offering.

Base price is $79,900. Included premium interior and sound, fantastic adaptable air suspension gives quieter, smoother and better handling, Range is over 400 miles EPA, performance is great, charging is much faster and it has the latest 100 kWh battery pack.
Comes with the much faster V3 FSD computer and pretty good Autopilot standard.

Pricing of the new cars have come way down since you bought yours earlier. Worth a look.
If you own a profitable small business, be sure to check into Section 179 Tax benefits on the Model X as well.

Base price is $79,900. Included premium interior and sound, fantastic adaptable air suspension gives quieter, smoother and better handling, Range is over 400 miles EPA, performance is great, charging is much faster and it has the latest 100 kWh battery pack.

Pricing of the new cars have come way down since you bought yours earlier. Worth a look.
If you own a profitable small business, be sure to check into Section 179 Tax benefits on the Model X as well.

True, but all things being equal, there is still the aspect of new car depreciation during years 1-3. I vowed to never buy a new car again many years ago. For me, finances (especially on a depreciating asset) are one of my top factors. However, I also realize that everyone has different priorities.

That color was not popular (my least favorite color too). It might get discounted if it takes a while to sell. The newer cars have dash cam, sentry mode, games, Netflix, FSD capability, smart summon, etc. it’s a lot more than AP1, but I have AP1 and feel it is just enough for highway driving. Our Model 3 has FSD and is a much more technologically advanced car.
Thanks---that is all what I expected. What year is first introduction of dash cam and smart summon?

ALSO- since I really like the Titanium (I find it to be the most interesting color--and certainly least common) I may be the right buyer for this one....but clearly at the right price. Right now it is about $3-5K less than I'd LIKE to pay, but compared to others that I have seen for sale privately, it is priced well. I really don't want to buy one privately.

Last edited:

The new S is priced well- no doubt.....but I have decided that I just don't want to spend that much on a car again. I don't drive as much in CT as I did in CA (10K miles per year vs 15-18K miles per year). Also, since it appears that the 2016.5 has effectively the same tech as my 2017 (Dec '16 build) P100D, I won't 'miss anything' that I already head---will just miss the new improvements.

Last edited:
Thanks---that is all what I expected. What year is first introduction of dash cam and smart summon?

ALSO- since I really like the Titanium (I find it to be the most interesting color--and certainly least common) I may be the right buyer for this one....but clearly at the right price. Right now it is about $3-5K less than I'd LIKE to pay, but compared to others that I have seen for sale privately, it is priced well. I really don't want to buy one privately.
$3K less, Then you have enough spare to pay for this, get more features. Infotainment Upgrade

EAP does everything FSD does on the highway. Auto lane change, Navigate on Auto Pilot, etc.
EAP does NOT do anything city that's recently come out/coming out. (stop light recogntion, recognizing orange cones, etc).
While this is true for original EAP owners, remember that this car is going through Tesla, so they can remove the original EAP and replace it with the current definition of EAP, which is much more limited. A number of people have reported Tesla doing that with EAP and FSD (usually removing it completely so the new owner can purchase the new, neutered version by themselves).

I have not been on the Tesla used site in a while (very happy with my P 85DL), but just noticed they are also stripping off the free premium connectivity. So- not Connecticut, no free supercharging, possibly lose FSD or EAP, Tesla really wants out of the used car biz...

That was 18 months ago that they removed premium connectivity from cars that had it. 1 Jan 2019.

Yes, you have been gone a while. Lots of changes. You know about infotainment upgrade?
I’ve been on TMC, just not on the used site window shopping. I don’t really pay much attention to the used site any more, it really only causes me to think about what ifs and such and how a P100D would make my life so much better,