TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3 tips to significantly increase range in winter and message for Tesla

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ML_X60D_Canada, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DataMN

DataMN Member

#41 DataMN, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Every-now-and-then doesn't mean knee-jerk-random. ETD is known. Even with most short cold trips. Meetings, parties, games, etc. They'd all make good use of climate-on scheduling. Buy an Echo? or Home? Oh what the heck, I'll just hire a secretary!!

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. claudelaval

claudelaval Member

Myself I don't like to turn the range mode on mainly because in the cold temperature it becomes uncomfortable inside and you raise the temperature to be so it doesn't worth it unless your almost out of range

3. claudelaval

claudelaval Member

#43 claudelaval, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Thank you for the info... and on the pictures is it by pre-heat the cabin or just the batteries?

4. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I have heard this before, but have not experienced it.

I drove 275 miles a couple weeks ago in temps averaging 14F (per TeslaFi) and was comfortable. In fact on one segment my inside temp averaged 74F so having Range Mode on didn't seem to impact the ability to get the cabin toasty if I wanted it.

5. claudelaval

claudelaval Member

s the EDIT note says the battery icon appear about 2-3 minutes after I put the climate control on BUT is it possible to just pre-heat the battery by the Tesla App without putting the cabin on?

6. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Nope - you cannot pre-heat battery alone. Although it may be interesting to try setting the temperature low enough that it isn't putting much amperage into cabin heat.

• Like x 1
  7. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Energy = Drag (force) x distance = Drag * velocity * t

Hence energy lost per unit time proportional to v cubed

8. sule

sule Member

Yes, but it is still proportional to v squared per distance driven, because as you increase speed you reduce time to get there.

9. sule

sule Member

This is a normal cabin heat ("climate") screen. The only thing new in it I noticed is the battery icon. It may only be an indicator of state (cold battery) and not of heating but I am hoping for something more - if it isn't already there it should be "soon" (the Tesla kind of "soon" ).

10. PA70D

PA70D Member

Found this blog post my first winter with my model S. Everything still holds true as do many of the comments above. I drive regularly in Northern New England, follow the general recommendations found here and have been comfortable with heating and range. Cold Weather Driving

11. DrMJW

DrMJW New Member

Good points. Mine works well in -22C even with the heater on full blast. I can go all day.

12. Cooker

Cooker Member

I’ve tried this...on cold days (<2c..that’s cold in UK), but still have limited regen which suggests battery is not totally warm. That said, often I’m only topping up with 20-30% charge so maybe just not enough charging time to warm completely

13. sule

sule Member

At what rate are you charging? Charging slow = little battery heating. Also, if you are preheatin the cabin at the same time, much of that power may be going there, not into the battery, leaving less to charge (and heat) the battery.

I have original dual chargers that let me charge at 80A and even then they still don't hear the battery all the way in a short period of time. This is why OP suggested (too) many hours of preheating - you essentially use escaped cabin heat to warm up the entire car, including the battery. I do not advise that, but it is what it is.

• Informative x 1
  14. lymex2018

lymex2018 Member

I'd like to add one more thing of why range can be an issue in the winter time: regen is limited.
    Although the OP mention it but not stated it separately.
    From my data collected by Scan my tesla, the regen is 14% of the total discharge, which is significant to affect the range.
    51-regen.png

And from several runs of cold whether driving, I gather some data points of how much regen related to the battery average temperature in degree C:
    regen-limit.png

As can be seen, below 0C, there is no regen at all; above 22C, there will be full regen (100kWh), and the mid-point regen (50kW) is around 17.5C.

My car is X 100D, it could be different for others such as 75D.

Also, I preheat test my car using app at below freezing temperature for about 30min, and the destine temp is 23C, here is the chart:
    preheat.png

The max power is 10kW, which is cabin heater and battery heater combined. If the cabin heater is 6.1kW, then the battery heater will be 3.5kW, minus 0.4kW for other loss such as the DC-DC converter.

• Informative x 1
  15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

There are apps for that. I use this Android app to complete a charge by a departure time (or end of good rates time).

Departure time for work (90%) or roadtrip (100%): Dashboard for Tesla

Hope you have a special case to charge your car to 100% everyday (i.e. 60 kWh w/75kWh pack, or long distance commuter, etc)

16. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Would use this App, but pricing model is ridiculous; $5/month for an App? Additional features for more money? Have never seen an App with this crazy of a pricing model. Guess to each their won, and I am probably conditioned to a certain pricing range for Apps, but this pricing model is over the top for me.

17. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

So you use this instead of the Tesla App?

18. Daddow

Daddow New Member

The way I see it, St. Elon came down the internet chimney at 2:30 a.m. Christmas morning with a garage heater - climate control on. :)

19. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I had subscriptions as well. However, I'm confused. It is $15 on-time not $5/month. Perhaps you misread that. It is $5 if you just want to use/trial it for a month or two. No one would do that continually since you can get it for infinity for $15! Same as someone would not subscribe daily for $0.99 in the chart!!! It is so worth the priced. Think about eating out at lunch or dinner once. I did pay for some additional options and consider them worth every penny. Developer is responsive and has a thread on this forum. I have NO affiliation at all ... just a very happy user.
    [​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  20. Cooker

Cooker Member

Thanks, helpful. I'm usually charging w/o cabin heat until last 30mins when I heat cabin, but I am charging at 7kw (40A) so that would tally.