Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 to a Y...back to a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fantastic.

About a month ago I asked for a trade-in value on my 2018 3 Performance with 15k miles. They offered $47k, and in my state you get another 10% in sales tax waiver on trade-ins.

I have received embarrassingly low trade-in values in the past, but right now they seem fantastic. Of course there may be certain types of cars that they want more than others.

Yeah I don’t know why I can’t seem to make my Y seating as comfortable as the 3. I thought it was the same seat on risers. Maybe it’s because I’m too short? I’m 5.4 and can’t get the seat to conform to my body like the 3

It's because in the 3, your legs are stretched in front of you, there's also more front leg room (width and depth), and the "firewall" in the Y is more upright so to press the accelerator, your toes are pulled back toward you at an odd angle to place your foot flat on the pedal.

Add to that the seat belt carving into your neck if you're under, say, 5'10"

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Figured I’d give an update on this saga

Had a 3 test drive today at Tesla. I won’t make this a review of the 3 but I will say the seating position and size of the vehicle did feel great. So I’m still considering my options. I did learn quite a lot today though

1) current trade in values are only being honored till the end of October (if you purchase a new vehicle). Since the 3 wouldn’t be delivered till November or December, I would have to re submit my trade in

2) if you purchase acceleration boost, they will not factor that into your trade in value, they will delete it from the vehicle once given back to Tesla, and they will not transfer it to another vehicle purchase

3) there is no confirmation of double pane glass on the 3’s front window. Advisor said none of their materials mention it

4) there is no darker headliner. Same one as before.

5) should start seeing the refreshed threes popping up in a couple weeks. Dallas hasn’t had any yet but they’re expecting them soon.

• Informative
Reactions: 907XCP
I’m missing the 3 as well. Not just the nimbleness, but the front seat comfort. Just can’t seem to find a comfortable position in the Y while in my 3, I always said it was the first car I owned that I never had to re-adjust the seats once they were set. Add to that the Y seatbelt cutting into my neck which drives me crazy.

I feel you. Personally, I love my Y but actually don’t think of it as a true SUV, it’s more a portly sedan.

I’d prefer the Y be more SUV: Better ground clearance and more space.

If I was more interested in the performance aspects of driving, I would have not considered a Y and gone with a 3. But with two dogs and kitesurfing as a hobby. I need as much space as I can get. I would not go with an X for price and reliability factors

I’ve been thinking on this one for quite a bit but I’m 95% sure I’ll be back in a 3 early 2021.

game plan is to let the first refresh models get delivered and let other people be the guinea pigs. Maybe I’ll place an order in December or January.

the Y is a great vehicle, but it doesn’t bring the same joy that the 3 did.