Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 to a Y...back to a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am toying with the idea of trading in my Model Y and going back to a 3 (either LR + Acceleration boost or Performance).

I had a 3 LR DM, 19" wheels, Blue/Black, FSD. It was a great car, super fun to drive, just all around enjoyable. I sold it to my neighbor and purchased a Y. I loved sitting up higher and the larger trunk opening was so much easier to load stuff.

However now that I have lived with my Y for a few months, I find myself missing the thrill that the 3 brought. Sure the Y is fast (i got the acceleration boost) but it just doesnt feel the same. The 3 is a sports car, neigh a rocketship. The Y is just a fast SUV.

I need to run the numbers and figure out what the value of the Y would be and the cost of both 3's I would consider, but its on my mind now. This is the epitome of a first world problem, I know.

(note: as a single guy in my early 30s with no kids, the space of the Y isnt a necessity at this point in my life).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I can see where you are coming from. I have a 3 and am considering a Y for the extra utility. The utility is definitely there, but I've driven one, and...I would definitely miss the 3.

What I'm saying to myself is that it's not that big of a difference, or important, and I'll get used to it. The Y is a great car and you should love it. Sure enough, when I moved to the 3 from an S P90DL, I at first was disappointed because I greatly missed the S' acceleration. But I got used to it and don't miss it anymore. I love my 3 now, so that can work.

But if it's been several months, and you're not happy with the Y, but you were happy with the 3, and there's no reason why you NEED the Y...well, the Y should be easy to sell! And if you're making the move for fun-to-drive reasons, and you already had an AWD 3...then it seems logical that the new 3 has to be a Performance, right? :)

Either way, good luck.

Last edited:
sounds like you're buying the same car repeatedly.
Sort of. Its more of going back to my original purchase. Its just a thought for right now though. I am going to test drive my old 3 (sold it to my neighbor so still have access) and see if its just fond memories or something that I should consider.

I can see where you are coming from. I have a 3 and am considering a Y for the extra utility. The utility is definitely there, but I've driven one, and...I would definitely miss the 3.

What I'm saying to myself is that it's not that big of a difference, or important, and I'll get used to it. The Y is a great car and you should love it. Sure enough, when I moved to the 3 from an S P90DL, I at first was disappointed because I greatly missed the S' acceleration. But I got used to it and don't miss it anymore. I love my 3 now, so that can work.

But if it's been several months, and you're not happy with the Y, but you were happy with the 3, and there's no reason why you NEED the Y...well, the Y should be easy to sell! And if you're making the move for fun-to-drive reasons, and you already had an AWD 3...then it seems logical that the new 3 has to be a Performance, right? :)

Either way, good luck.

Totally agree with you! I am in no way complaining about the Y. Its still a phenomenal vehicle. This is more of a "Do I want something super fun over utility" type question. I am in no rush and dont need to pull the trigger anytime soon. I did put in a quote request to tesla out of curiosity. Will be interesting to see what they quote for a 2 month old Y with 845 miles on it.

I understand how you feel. I used to have a 3 and loved it so much but unfortunately it was totaled. Now I have the Y with acceleration boost. I feel like the Y’s performance on the local roads is slower than the 3...even though they’re the same speed. I keep telling people I feel like I’m driving a house with the Y....but I love it cos it’s still fast, lots of space, higher up etc.
Similar to you, I’m in my 30s and single. I would’ve kept my 3 if it wasn’t totaled and buy the Y when I have a family.
My question to you is “Are you driving the Y as much as you did with the 3”?
With the pandemic, I’ve been driving less on the highway so I only enjoy it a few times.

My question to you is “Are you driving the Y as much as you did with the 3”?
With the pandemic, I’ve been driving less on the highway so I only enjoy it a few times.

I am definitely not driving as much as I was before and it’s looking like I will be working from home for quite a while.
This leads to two responses though:

1) I clearly do not need to make any changes as it’s not crucial

2) I should be super ecstatic when I do have an excuse to drive. Instead the Y just feels like a responsible simple choice

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg and Reborn
I am definitely not driving as much as I was before and it’s looking like I will be working from home for quite a while.
This leads to two responses though:

1) I clearly do not need to make any changes as it’s not crucial

2) I should be super ecstatic when I do have an excuse to drive. Instead the Y just feels like a responsible simple choice

I feel the exact same as you lol...I feel like a responsible person getting the Y. A lot of ppl couldn’t believe I would get an SUV cos I love small sedans so much. I also may be working at home for a long time now, last time in the office was February.

Maybe you put some feelers out there and see how much people are willing to pay. Ok say you wait on the 2021 3 though, there looks to be quite a few desirable changes.

I’ve got a Y and honestly I don’t feel like I really drive an SUV. I know it technically is, but to me it feels like a sedan.

I considered the M3, but being just north of 6ft tall it just felt too small. Weird because other than seat height I don’t *think* M3 and Y are really much different but the Y feels like it has more space.

Reactions: Jmeitz and frankvb
Having driven an S, 3, and now Y extensively, I kind of feel like Tesla has intentionally crippled the 60' acceleration on the Y (even on the Performance). It's reminiscent of turbocharged vehicles I've driven that take awhile to spool that turbine. Maybe there's some technical reason for it, but it's unique within Tesla's current offerings.

Of course, this won't affect the handling. It feels very planted and tossable to me, but there's no denying it has more weight, and weight higher up, than the 3.

Their quotes are a joke. My M3 DM LR gave a $5k trade in quote. It goes for almost full new price on used car sites. It’s an insult at best. Sell it yourself.

the new 3 refresh might be worth switching back. Nice console (subjective, I know) and power lift gate!

It's not an error. I'll give you 6k for you M3. J/K.

The quote is tricky. I had a similar issue on my MX. When I first saw it I was so angry. I'm guessing you have a loan on the M3, is that right? Also did you input your remaining balance on your loan into the info?. I provided that info to Tesla. The email I got from Tesla shows a trade in "credit". At the bottom of the trade-in estimate email, in really small font, it says "Your trade-in credit is your estimate ($trade in value here) minus the estimated payoff amount you provided ($remaining balance of your current loan).