Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Unintended Acceleration events when parking my Tesla S P in my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate everyone’s input. I honestly cannot tell you if my foot was pressing hard on the brake or if it was just lightly placed. I do not remember really. All I know is I was stopped in traffic and suddenly the car jumped and hit the car in front of me. I agree maybe I unintentionally pressed the pedal but how would it happen twice? I confirmed with the car in front me and he tells me yes I hit him twice !!! I am not trying to blame Tesla and fortunately the damage was minimal and no one was hurt. I am just nervous and now will be paying a lot more attention while stopped in traffic to make sure I am pressing the brakes with force. I still love my Tesla and think it is an amazing car.
"I agree maybe I unintentionally pressed the pedal but how would it happen twice?"

Brake pedal or accelerator pedal?

My jumps were related to high transmission heat which causes the Park Transmission Sensor to hesitate going into in Park.

Big problem with that: there is no transmission in a Tesla, and there is no park for it to go into. (Park is the vehicle applying the rear brake calipers electrically.)

According to Robert Belt, an engineer who wrote a detailed and comprehensive article in 2018 about how this can happens, is because the Transmission Sensor shares the same ground as the TPS Throttle Sensors which during the hesitation send 4 impulses in one second to the TPS Sensors.

Yeah, his articles are complete crap, and were included in the NHTSA investigation, and they found they didn't have merit or apply to the situation. Their review of the SUA events came to the conclusion that it has always been pedal misapplication. They could find no faults in the vehicle hardware or software.

• Love
Reactions: wk057
Not sure where the original post here is, but I've got a $10,000 open bet out for anyone who has one of these issues and wants to bet against the logs on the vehicle. If the logs show the brake pedal was pressed and the accelerator pedal was not, and the car still rapidly accelerates and hits something, you win. If not, I win.

To date, several people have actually taken me up on this... and everyone has lost. Logs clearly and unambiguously, from multiple signals, show the driver pressed the accelerator pedal (and yes, this is not how the vehicle is commanded with autopilot, that doesn't show as a physical accelerator pedal press, so no way to confuse it).

Since I'm a pretty nice guy, I've actually always let these folks out of the bet after they lose... even though I don't think they'd have done the same for me had the reverse somehow been possible. One couple did insist I take something for the efforts, so we went out for lunch on them.

But, since my time has been pretty limited as of late, I don't think I'd be able to let anyone out of it from here on out.

My favorite reported instance of "sudden acceleration" is the one where the woman (I think?) is driving around in high-ish speed circles in a street after attempting to park, almost kills a guy on the sidewalk (not cool), and does several loops before actually finally pressing the brake pedal. Oh, right, you can see the brake lights almost the entire time and they are never on until the end of the video when she lifts off the accelerator and actually presses the brake pedal.

But sure, claim the car did it all by itself. I'm sure that'll work. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's always the driver pressing the accelerator pedal. Always.

Last edited:

@gajafl There are too-frequent incidents where driver hits spouse "assisting" with parking, as spouse/assistant "helps" with parking. Driving isn't a team sport. You don't need "ground control" like large airplanes do, when taxing to the gateway.

Please-- parking is not a team sport: