Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Unintended Acceleration events when parking my Tesla S P in my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the OP's situation is most certainly NOT the event I encountered, but has every indicator of pedal misapplication instead. Yet, the circumstances are so unique and peculiar that the OP should be running a dash cam or three, with one pointing at the pedals . . . I am open-minded enough to consider all possibilities.

Yeah, it's interesting that it's been claimed to have happened multiple times, which is why I suggested above that they pop a camera in there and provide unambiguous proof of an issue if they firmly believe that there is an issue. If the problem happens repeatedly and is reproducible, then this should be a no-brainer.

I had similar issue at supercharge station, when I tried the plug with red light on and try to move to another slot, the car accelerated with loud bumping sound from the rear, I stopped the car with my right foot on break pedal and noticed the small screen get frozen and restarted. I waited 5 mins and called Tesla, they said nothing found in the log. I also went to the service centre, after 2 hours check, they said nothing wrong can be found in my car. They said keep driving and see if it happens again. That happened 2 months ago, and didn't reoccur until now. I'm slightly worried until I saw this post, what if it happens again on the road. Mine is Aug. 2017 model S75. No FSD, no auto parking.

I also experienced instances of unexpected acceleration. On August 5th, 2020 my 2016 Model S 75D accelerated into a wall while it was being parked resulting in damage to the front of the car. On October 30th, 2020, while driving home from the body shop, the car accelerated after I removed my foot from the accelerator for approximately 20-30 yards.

Tesla cancelled my requested appointments to inspect the car both times, and has told me it is under "engineering review" for nearly three months. The fact that it has been almost three months without resolution and that they won’t inspect the car physically is frustrating and disconcerting.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA this morning and will scour these posts for other ideas. Feedback welcome!

My Dec 2016 S only engages hold mode on brake (hard) depress. Newer is different? Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

But, no pics? Very odd.
Note that it acts differently between creep and no creep. In creep mode it takes a harder push to engage hold mode.

Which makes sense to me. If creep is enabled one expects it to act like an automatic transmission. Push lightly car stops. Release and car moves.

I also experienced instances of unexpected acceleration. On August 5th, 2020 my 2016 Model S 75D accelerated into a wall while it was being parked resulting in damage to the front of the car. On October 30th, 2020, while driving home from the body shop, the car accelerated after I removed my foot from the accelerator for approximately 20-30 yards.

Feedback welcome!

In any of these instances did you make an attempt to use the "Stop" pedal...or were you just curious as to what would happen?

In the first occurrence it happened very fast, and yes an attempt to brake was made. In the second occurrence I was safely in control of the car and wanted to a) confirm that the carpet wasn't in the way & auto-pilot was not engaged and b) see what would happen. The acceleration noticeably disengaged after 20-30 yards before I applied the brake ("stop") pedal.

Creep mode was NOT enabled. I've registered a complaint with the NHTSA and spoken with several lawyers. I'm currently getting an estimate to replace the accelerator. Aside from the "PEDAL, TORQUE CONTROL (ACCELERATOR)" Part #: 1005307-00-A, I'm not sure exactly what parts I should ask to be replaced as I'm not a mechanic. Any feedback on how to replace the parts related to acceleration would be appreciated. VERY disappointed that Tesla won't even inspect the car or the accelerator. They have cancelled two requests for an inspection. They are polite on the phone but have failed to provide any conclusions from their "engineering review" since August 5th and have not sent me my driving data which I requested 2 months ago. I was anxious before, now I'm getting angry.

When creep mode is off, the hitting the wrong pedal error happens more frequently.

instead of feathering the brakes to pull in (like an automatic transmission), the driver feathers the go pedal to get moving. Then they forget their foot is over “go” and not “stop”.

you did see wk057 suggestion? Stick a go pro down there pointing at the pedals and repeat it.

Creep mode was NOT enabled. I've registered a complaint with the NHTSA and spoken with several lawyers. I'm currently getting an estimate to replace the accelerator. Aside from the "PEDAL, TORQUE CONTROL (ACCELERATOR)" Part #: 1005307-00-A, I'm not sure exactly what parts I should ask to be replaced as I'm not a mechanic. Any feedback on how to replace the parts related to acceleration would be appreciated. VERY disappointed that Tesla won't even inspect the car or the accelerator. They have cancelled two requests for an inspection. They are polite on the phone but have failed to provide any conclusions from their "engineering review" since August 5th and have not sent me my driving data which I requested 2 months ago. I was anxious before, now I'm getting angry.

Don't be angry.
Just turn on creep mode.
You can easily get this data yourself.
Maby mount a gopro and try doing the same?
You should be glad you don't have a P85D or P90D. They are WAY quicker the first feet. Would mess up your garage, really bad :)

Ah, layers, they will surely figure it out...
Get a few cameras and reproduce, that would get response if it's an actual issue.
The accelerator pedal have no single point of failure, one potmeter must go up, the other down, to verify position.

So NHTSA has finished their review of the SUA Defect Petition and have rejected it, finding, that as expected, it is pedal misapplication:

After reviewing the available data, ODI has not identified evidence that would support opening a defect investigation into SUA in the subject vehicles. In every instance in which event data was available for review by ODI, the evidence shows that SUA crashes in the complaints cited by the petitioner have been caused by pedal misapplication. There is no evidence of any fault in the accelerator pedal assemblies, motor control systems, or brake systems that has contributed to any of the cited incidents. There is no evidence of a design factor contributing to increased likelihood of pedal misapplication. The theory provided of a potential electronic cause of SUA in the subject vehicles is based upon inaccurate assumptions about system design and log data.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INCLA-DP20001-6158.PDF

So NHTSA has finished their review of the SUA Defect Petition and have rejected it, finding, that as expected, it is pedal misapplication:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INCLA-DP20001-6158.PDF
I feel bad for this guy whose winter hellscape driveway kept launching the car into the street.

2021-01-08_13-21-49.png

Is it time to consider moving the brake pedal to where the clutch pedal used to be? That would require the driver to use the left foot to access the brake. Might reduce the error rate.
I have noticed that I occasionally touch the brake pedal as I reach for the accelerator - the two pedals are so close together that my big feet have trouble accessing the accelerator.

Is it time to consider moving the brake pedal to where the clutch pedal used to be? That would require the driver to use the left foot to access the brake. Might reduce the error rate.
I have noticed that I occasionally touch the brake pedal as I reach for the accelerator - the two pedals are so close together that my big feet have trouble accessing the accelerator.
That would probably lead to more pedal misapplication. The pedals need to be in a standard configuration, not something that one would need to think about where the pedal is in an emergency.

As such it seems there’s a fundamental misunderstanding here about how the car works and way, way too much granularity about your other cars and garage and so forth.
Yes, that is what I was thinking. I didn't even read past the first paragraph from all of the fluff. OP, PLEASE in the future, cut down on the long-winded stuff that seems not to apply. :) I noticed the part about being a pilot. I will take a wild shot that is meant to mean such a person is more observant about driving a car? I'm a IR pilot as well, yet I don't think that makes me a better car driver ;) I hope this doesn't sound nasty. Not intended to be. Just hoping I have time to read future posts.

Reactions: HankLloydRight