Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Vs. Y - Should I do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 M3 LR AWD. I love it with the exception of not having enough room. I've been looking at the Y and went and test drove one yesterday. I really like everything about it, although I think the 3 looks more sporty. Has anyone else made the switch and if so, are you glad you did? Or do you regret it?
If I go through with it, should I try & sell my 3 on my own or trade in back to Tesla?
TIA

I didn't switch but I'm a new owner who looked at both. The Y to me felt a lot more harsh riding, and the visibility out of the back was horrible. Those reasons alone were a killer for me, and it didn't feel as nimble or sporty either.

How much more room do you need, is it the occasional road trip or something? If it was me I would consider a hitch box or roof rack box or something too if I needed more temporary storage

The Y has shorter range and the rear window visibility is terrible but sits higher and the cargo space is definitely awesome. The 3 costs $4,000 less, looks cooler (subjective), and has longer range but lacks the cargo space.

For me, range is king as having to stop once on a road trip is fine, but having to stop twice to charge is a deal breaker. So Model 3 LR it is.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
I have a 2019 M3 LR AWD. I love it with the exception of not having enough room. I've been looking at the Y and went and test drove one yesterday. I really like everything about it, although I think the 3 looks more sporty. Has anyone else made the switch and if so, are you glad you did? Or do you regret it?
If I go through with it, should I try & sell my 3 on my own or trade in back to Tesla?
TIA

The forum software shows threads it thinks are similar at the bottom of a new post (and when you are creating a new post as well, I believe). A couple of threads on this topic that may interest you are as follows:

This is a pretty popular question so there are likely more, but those two have more than a few responses.

The Y has shorter range and the rear window visibility is terrible but sits higher and the cargo space is definitely awesome. The 3 costs $4,000 less, looks cooler (subjective), and has longer range but lacks the cargo space.

For me, range is king as having to stop once on a road trip is fine, but having to stop twice to charge is a deal breaker. So Model 3 LR it is.
The Y has more range than the 2019 Model 3, the current Y has 315 and the 2019 had 310 when new, mine has 287 at the moment . A new 3 or Y has a heat pump and the Y should be quieter, given the double pane glass, than the 2019 3 which has a lot of road noise. I'd say the decision boils down to whether you have FSD or not, if you have it then stick with the current 3, if not then given the current insane used car prices for the 3 you could get a new car for not a whole lot of money.

I went through much the same decision process. I have a SR+ and often have range anxiety on road trips, so at this point, at least for me, it's range over room. I ended up ordering a LR M3; 353 miles vs 240 is a big difference (YMMV). The only issue will be the November delivery, but since, like you I already have a 3 at my disposal, the wait should be fine.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
The Y has more range than the 2019 Model 3, the current Y has 315 and the 2019 had 310 when new, mine has 287 at the moment . A new 3 or Y has a heat pump and the Y should be quieter, given the double pane glass, than the 2019 3 which has a lot of road noise. I'd say the decision boils down to whether you have FSD or not, if you have it then stick with the current 3, if not then given the current insane used car prices for the 3 you could get a new car for not a whole lot of money.
I feel as though most people trying to upgrade across model years wanted an SUV from the beginning and had the 3 already before Y existed. Otherwise I think the decision is pretty straightforward when you compare a 2021 3 vs 2021 Y.

Reactions: El joe
I feel as though most people trying to upgrade across model years wanted an SUV from the beginning and had the 3 already before Y existed. Otherwise I think the decision is pretty straightforward when you compare a 2021 3 vs 2021 Y.
That’s what happened with me. Got the 3 before the Y came out thinking I would be ok with my small family. But a few cramped roads trips and I realized I needed the added room and versatility and traded the 3 in for a Y.

The 3 is a great car and I loved mine, but the Y is so much more practical for my family.

Reactions: Jeremy3292