Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 weeks in, already got chip in center windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a “bullseye” chip in the black part of the windshield. The repair was good but it’s the first time in decades of driving that I got a chip in my windshield. I do worry that the glass is softer than that in my previous vehicles.

How fast were you driving? My other consideration was that I was driving a lot faster than I was in previous vehicles when I got my chip (80 mph).

I've been waiting for Tesla to ship to my repair center a new windshield for 2 months now.....gotta call them up tomorrow...

Don't know about others here but I would say I have more windshield glass area than on either of our previous cars and maybe at more of a slant. More surface area increasing chances of a stone hitting and doing damage at highway speed? Roads are pretty bad out here with missing asphalt/concrete potholes and construction debris. Caltans is always doing road repairs and I know even in our city local roads are taking longer to get patched probably due to budget constraints.

Great....got another crack/chip in the windshield. This one is about the size of a quarter/half-dollar. I was driving roughly 50 MPH in a 35/40 MPH zone. Safelite is on its way. It does not look too bad but unlike the other one, this was not a bullseye and is located on the driver's side in a very visible area. There is a little spidering. I am not sure how in over 25 years of driving I never had a crack in a windshield (after hearing rocks hit the windshields of various vehicles) but now I have 2 in about 7 months of ownership. The glass in the Model 3 must be soft/fragile.

Bad luck, that's all. Doesn't matter what car it is.

In almost 20 years of driving I've got one dime size bullseye. Low on the passenger side, I've fixed it myself with one of those kits sold on amazon. With some patience it came out really really nice. Almost invisible.

I've never gotten a rock chip up until last year on my previous car. With my 3 I've had what sounded like a big one hit me but luckily it hit the glass on the pillar causing a very minor scuff. Can't really confirm if Tesla glass is softer but there's also the possibility of more or larger debris on the ground from the increasing road maintenance.

Last edited:
Driving around this evening after getting the rock chip repaired, I heard another crack. No other cars around, and travelling about 25mph on this road. Found a 2nd rock chip on the windshield. Two rock chips on the first day with the car :( and only 90 miles on the car. I have not had a single rock chip on any of my cars in the last 10 years, then two on the first day with this car. Double bad luck ? I wonder how many I'll get tomorrow

Got a small chip in my Cadillac on the way home from the dealership a few years ago. It happens. Welcome to driving. Wasn’t big enough to worry about spreading so I didn’t do anything with it. Dealer didn’t say a word when I sold it for the Model 3.

My car’s not a hangar queen - part of driving it is that small dents, dings and scratches will happen. Just how it is!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Driving around this evening after getting the rock chip repaired, I heard another crack. No other cars around, and travelling about 25mph on this road. Found a 2nd rock chip on the windshield. Two rock chips on the first day with the car :( and only 90 miles on the car. I have not had a single rock chip on any of my cars in the last 10 years, then two on the first day with this car. Double bad luck ? I wonder how many I'll get tomorrow
Hopefully you don't end up like this guy locally.

Man arrested, investigated for attempted murder after throwing tripod into I-5 traffic