TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3 x 230V circuit not loading the car, what solution for this problem

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ErwinKrick, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ErwinKrick

ErwinKrick New Member

Hello,

I have a 3 x 230V connection in my home in Belgium. I tried connecting my charger to all the line wires but not on any of this the car starts loading. The problem is I think there's no N wire in this kind of connection. What can I do so I can load my car at home. Someone told me to buy a transfo but what kind and how do I have to connect this ?

Please help as soon as possible because I can't charge at the moment.

Kind regards

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

So how exactly did you to charge the car? Using the UMC or with a fixed charging station.

I'm not sure if the Model S really requires a Neutral, I've never been able to test that.

3. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Try to swap the UMC for a Norwegian one, those don't need a N if I'm not mistaken.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

While I haven't kept up with this, I do recall that Tesla said you will not be able to do three-phase charging without a neutral conductor. The Norwegian UMC will allow you to use your power supply, but will not allow three phase.

Here's why:
    Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2) - Page 47

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that would contradict my theory that each "charger" is made up of 3 mini-chargers, one for each phase. In this configuration, if you don't have a neutral conductor, it won't work.

You will likely need the Norwegian UMC because you have a configuration similar to Norway's IT infrastructure, where the voltages are floating relative to ground.

What lights do you see on your UMC? Green or red?
    Does the car show any voltage when the connector is plugged into the car?

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

A call to Tesla would be a good idea. In the meanwhile, if you are stuck, are there other adapters you can use to charge off a single phase 230V connection/plug?