Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 + Y Pics Overlaid From Various Parts of The Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I was curious...
The headlights and taillights appear to be the exact same, unless my eyes are fooling me.

Bumper crease
3713EADE-697E-4ECA-880E-39693A6E22FF.jpeg

Door handle
C4AB9C0E-93E5-4E69-81B5-B4425063567A.jpeg

Drivers seat
EB2803A5-4BFF-45FD-8D65-0246DCADD211.jpeg

Wheel
6518A870-DC55-41E8-9CE3-DFEC69875DE9.jpeg

Headlight
C760C0DD-73BB-43E5-B118-AF1F77E55CEC.jpeg

Roof
0D4ED022-8D14-4BB4-B795-182C9CCDACC3.jpeg

Taillight
B143A65A-91F8-4A65-A67A-D45EA4841304.jpeg

Back of hood
3D900648-45F2-4457-93AF-56A552796B49.jpeg

Last edited:
that's a really cool way to compare, however it seems a little off to me, i doubt the wheel base is actually different, that would add complexity to the build process and doesn't streamline assembly lines. the skateboard should be the same, and throw different body on it.

Reactions: gene and swaltner
that's a really cool way to compare, however it seems a little off to me, i doubt the wheel base is actually different, that would add complexity to the build process and doesn't streamline assembly lines. the skateboard should be the same, and throw different body on it.

When I was moving it around, the front wheel was the same size but the rear was different. This leads me to believe that the wheel base isn’t necessarily different because of the scale, but from the angle the cars are rendered at. But then I guess that could mean the scale is slightly off too. Because once the angles were the same the front wheel would then get smaller as the rear gets bigger. It’s really hard to tell with the slight angle change. But the headlights, taillights and headrest were the same size as far as I could tell (lighting was slightly brighter on the Y). I faded back and forth several times on each photo to make sure the alignment was proper. I don’t know what kind of witchcraft they did but that’s the best I could do with my mediocre phototochop abilities at 2:20am pacific standard time.

Interesting. Parallax distortion or is wheel base and car itself longer?
Thank you! I couldn’t remember the name. It appears that it could just be parallax distortion. But can’t tell for sure, you can see the size of the rear wheel is quite a bit off from then front. Do you think they would need to make the skateboard longer to accommodate for the legroom for the third row? Based on how different the roofline is and the taller body panels, I don’t see any reason to hold onto the exact same wheel base as the 3. That also allows for more cells down the road if they wanted to boost the mileage. (Assuming the packs are currently interchangeable with the 3),

Because I was curious...
The headlights and taillights appear to be the exact same, unless my eyes are fooling me.

Bumper crease
View attachment 386599

Door handle
View attachment 386600

Drivers seat
View attachment 386601

Wheel
View attachment 386602

Headlight
View attachment 386603

Roof
View attachment 386604

Taillight
View attachment 386605

Back of hood
View attachment 386606

I don't believe this is quite right. If you make the wheel sizes identical (they are both 19") in Photoshop, the wheelbase ends up being identical as well. These comparisons show a longer wheelbase for the Y.

EDIT: I see this is already being discussed.

Reactions: Magomboman
When I was moving it around, the front wheel was the same size but the rear was different. This leads me to believe that the wheel base isn’t necessarily different because of the scale, but from the angle the cars are rendered at. But then I guess that could mean the scale is slightly off too. Because once the angles were the same the front wheel would then get smaller as the rear gets bigger. It’s really hard to tell with the slight angle change. But the headlights, taillights and headrest were the same size as far as I could tell (lighting was slightly brighter on the Y). I faded back and forth several times on each photo to make sure the alignment was proper. I don’t know what kind of witchcraft they did but that’s the best I could do with my mediocre phototochop abilities at 2:20am pacific standard time.
in no way am i trying to suggest your work was bad... obviously you have limits based on the pictures you had to work with... i certainly couldn't do any of what you did! no offense intended if you took any....

i can;t imigine the wheel bases would be different, as the idea is to streamline production... but they could be different... i dont they let anyone walk around with a tape measure...although someone should have been trying!

Thank you! I couldn’t remember the name. It appears that it could just be parallax distortion. But can’t tell for sure, you can see the size of the rear wheel is quite a bit off from then front. Do you think they would need to make the skateboard longer to accommodate for the legroom for the third row? Based on how different the roofline is and the taller body panels, I don’t see any reason to hold onto the exact same wheel base as the 3. That also allows for more cells down the road if they wanted to boost the mileage. (Assuming the packs are currently interchangeable with the 3),

I did a similar comparison and posted a gif showing the difference. If you use the rear wheel to match wheel sizes, the wheelbase ends up being the same (and it probably is).

All good questions!

Once you scale the MY photo to match the M3 front wheel, Can't you just count pixels in the front wheel vs rear wheel and compare those differences between the 2 photos to determine the amount of parallax involved? If you adjust the MY photo slightly, you should be able to re-distort to match the M3?