Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/Y seem to wake up/unlock charge port now by pressing J1772 release button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Referral Code
After one of the recent software releases (definitely with 2020.24.6.1), our 3 and Y seem to wake up and unlock the charge port when the J1772 button is pressed. There is slight pause as the car wakes up and you need to have proximity key that would unlock the car nearby (e.g. phone key) but after pressing the button the charge port lights up, it unlocks and you can remove the adapter.

This an improvement over the previous behavior which required an awkward dance of opening a door or going into the app the unlock the charge when unplugging a car.

I've tested this a few times so the behavior seems consistent. At first I thought it might be a Y only feature but there was a couple of days where the Y had newer software than the 3. I don't have S or X so I don't know how they behave.

Has anyone else noticed or am I imagining things?

I've had a model 3 since November 2018 and don't recall ever needing to unlock the car to disconnect the Chargepoint charger at the office. I press the button on the handle, charge port unlocks, then remove the handle and adapter.

Reactions: Ol'Blue
After one of the recent software releases (definitely with 2020.24.6.1), our 3 and Y seem to wake up and unlock the charge port when the J1772 button is pressed.
Confirmed. The button is now able to wake my Model 3 (2020.24.6.1) from sleep mode, which was not possible before. As you noted there is a delay though. It seems you have to hold the button for a couple of seconds. Nice.

PS: On second thought, it might also be related to the HW3 computer (my car was recently upgraded from HW2.5). I always suspected that it was not possible for the computer to sense the button press when it was in sleep mode, and maybe they have fixed that in HW3. Is your Model 3 HW3?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Confirmed. The button is now able to wake my Model 3 (2020.24.6.1) from sleep mode, which was not possible before. As you noted there is a delay though. It seems you have to hold the button for a couple of seconds. Nice.

PS: On second thought, it might also be related to the HW3 computer (my car was recently upgraded from HW2.5). I always suspected that it was not possible for the computer to sense the button press when it was in sleep mode, and maybe they have fixed that in HW3. Is your Model 3 HW3?

Hmm, interesting thought. Yes, it is HW3 now, upgraded a couple of months ago. With shelter in place I haven't had as many data points so I'm not sure what corresponded to the change. If someone has the current software with HW2.5 would test it then we'll know.

Enough of the car has be awake to sense a key approaching. I suspect the change just added the sense pin on the charge part in addition to the door latches to further wake up the car.

I've had a model 3 since November 2018 and don't recall ever needing to unlock the car to disconnect the Chargepoint charger at the office. I press the button on the handle, charge port unlocks, then remove the handle and adapter.

And your car is locked when you do this? Are you doing anything else that possibly wakes the car first like open a door?

And your car is locked when you do this? Are you doing anything else that possibly wakes the car first like open a door?
Yes, the car is always locked at the office. I have not been there since mid-March and cold weather. I would typically open the Tesla app and start climate control while walking out of the office and disable sentry mode to avoid generating an event when I approach the car. Maybe this woke the car enough to recognize the charge button?

Yes, the car is always locked at the office. I have not been there since mid-March and cold weather. I would typically open the Tesla app and start climate control while walking out of the office and disable sentry mode to avoid generating an event when I approach the car. Maybe this woke the car enough to recognize the charge button?

Ah! Yes, if you wake it up via the up that will do it.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I would typically open the Tesla app and start climate control while walking out of the office and disable sentry mode to avoid generating an event when I approach the car.

Ah! Yes, if you wake it up via the up that will do it.

And so would having sentry mode on. If you have sentry on, the car wont sleep enough to cause the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: arnolddeleon
Great news.

Does anyone have a third party (non Tesla) charger at home? Can you test if this software update has also cured the model 3/Y not being able to wake from sleep from the charger. Their engineering team told me this is being fixed in 2020.24 on't have the update yet to test.

Just switch off scheduling charging, wait 30mins for car to sleep and then try switching on charger. Must me a proper EVSE not UMC.

THANKS!