Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/Y size comparison (gif)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@sreams - great job finding these pics!
I took those images and superimposed the 3 on the Y in a static pic. With your gif and this pic, we get a pretty good idea of the size differences. I would suspect that these are close, but perhaps not exactly perfect due to original photo perspectives, but as you said, the wheels lined up almost perfectly so they should be in the ball park. I'm thinking the Y may not quite be as tall as this projects out to but time will tell.
View attachment 388794
Curious if the Y has better driver legroom. I’m not that big, but I have to sit first, swing my legs in second in my 3. Legs in first I was hitting the door pillar with my hip.

@sreams - great job finding these pics!
I took those images and superimposed the 3 on the Y in a static pic. With your gif and this pic, we get a pretty good idea of the size differences. I would suspect that these are close, but perhaps not exactly perfect due to original photo perspectives, but as you said, the wheels lined up almost perfectly so they should be in the ball park. I'm thinking the Y may not quite be as tall as this projects out to but time will tell.

Here's another perspective — done quick & dirty in Photoshop. Not perfect, but helpful, I think, at getting a good idea about relative sizes. One thing I thought was interesting was that the eye point in the Y seems to be slightly forward of the one in the 3. Although that could just be a driver preference thing as the steering wheel actually looks like it could be further rearward.

3Y.png

Lined everything up in Photoshop and did my best to match the 19" wheels. So this should give a pretty good idea of how much taller/larger the Model Y is. It is clear that the Y will have taller tires on the same wheels.

Great job!

Yup, it's going to be FREAKING AWSOME!!!!!! (This slightly PS'd re-rendering is what I plan for my Model Y Dual Motor Performance when it does arrive: Black (hopefully pearl) w/black interior (to be re-skinned in Porsche-like Dk-Red Leather), Tints, Lowered 1.5"-2" on CO's for even better handling & maneuverability, and riding on either 21"-22" Wheels/Tires with a slightly bumped out offset if possible.) (Click on pix to enlarge)
Black Large Wheels2.jpg

Classically SEXY! It’s a clean & stealthy Hot Looking EV Crossover Hatch (when configured right) that can seat 7 with a 300 mile range and a 3.5 second 0-60 time that should eat its competition... that’s awesome no matter how you slice it (through the air)! Can't wait!

Last edited:
Lined everything up in Photoshop and did my best to match the 19" wheels. So this should give a pretty good idea of how much taller/larger the Model Y is. It is clear that the Y will have taller tires on the same wheels.

Here's another perspective — done quick & dirty in Photoshop. Not perfect, but helpful, I think, at getting a good idea about relative sizes. One thing I thought was interesting was that the eye point in the Y seems to be slightly forward of the one in the 3. Although that could just be a driver preference thing as the steering wheel actually looks like it could be further rearward.

Nice work! However, even though the new Y shares its platform with the 3, that does not necessarily mean that their wheel base and tracks are identical... So yes... we need the Specs to be absolutely sure!

Last edited:
Nice work! However, even though the new Y shares its platform with the 3, that does not necessarily mean that their wheel base and tracks are identical... So yes... we need the Specs to be absolutely sure!

I did not match the images by matching wheelbase. I matched them by precisely matching the identical 19" wheels on both cars. The result was that the wheelbases also matched.

Reactions: Zoomit
I did not match the images by matching wheelbase. I matched them by precisely matching the identical 19" wheels on both cars. The result was that the wheelbases also matched.

Oh, my bad! So you matched up just the rear (or just the front) set of wheels for each model and let the other set lay where it may without any shrinking or stretching? If so, that should be better but all kinds of things can also factor in when using two pictures taken by two separate cameras with different focal length lenses from different vantage points and/or distances etc. It's close, but any change in wheelbase (often 1"-2") will be hard to detect!

We need the full specs... are you hearing us Tesla?

Oh, my bad! So you matched up just the rear (or just the front) set of wheels for each model and let the other set lay where it may without any shrinking or stretching? If so, that should be better but all kinds of things can also factor in when using two pictures taken by two separate cameras with different focal lengths from different vantage points and/or distances etc. It's close, but any change in wheelbase (often 1"-2") will be hard to detect!

We need the full specs... are you hearing us Tesla?

Yes. I matched one wheel and let the rest line up.

As for camera perspective, I don't believe these are actually photos. They seem to be renders, especially considering that the wheel spokes are at exactly the same orientation between the 3 and the Y.

Reactions: RIP->OPEC
Yes. I matched one wheel and let the rest line up. As for camera perspective, I don't believe these are actually photos. They seem to be renders, especially considering that the wheel spokes are at exactly the same orientation between the 3 and the Y.

Agreed... Manufacturer renderings these days are usually generated directly from their CAD systems. So that should be good, however small variances at this tiny scale will make it hard to see if there are indeed any significant changes, especially since its probably less than < 2.5" or less.

We need the NUMBERS TESLA!

View attachment 386582
Well done. I think the Y is understated genius. Franz von Holzhausen and team should be commended. The evolutionary rather than revolutionary design is needed at this time. They are cashing in on all the trials and tribulations and start up costs of producing the M3. With the Y there probably won't be a production hell, no fit and finish problems maybe even perfect paint jobs by then. This design should save Tesla a ton of money in production. We all need Tesla to be successful and rock solid. They are reinventing the wheel and that costs money.

Reactions: RIP->OPEC