TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3/Y size comparison (gif)

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by sreams, Mar 15, 2019.

1. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Curious if the Y has better driver legroom. I’m not that big, but I have to sit first, swing my legs in second in my 3. Legs in first I was hitting the door pillar with my hip.

2. SeanM

SeanM Member

Yeah, but now some folks would love to chrome it. :D

• Funny x 4
  3. dafus

dafus New Member

I suspect there are lots of folks that would like to trade their 3 for a Y. We're 82 year old farts - even our grandkids are too big for those rear seats - but we miss the hatchback on our (former) Prius.

• Like x 1
  4. NavinRJohnson

NavinRJohnson New Member

That gif reminds a lot of this clip. :D

5. Torqueria

Torqueria Member

Here's another perspective — done quick & dirty in Photoshop. Not perfect, but helpful, I think, at getting a good idea about relative sizes. One thing I thought was interesting was that the eye point in the Y seems to be slightly forward of the one in the 3. Although that could just be a driver preference thing as the steering wheel actually looks like it could be further rearward.

3Y.png

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. CruzinTX

CruzinTX Member

Thanks for doing this. This helps a lot visualize the difference.

7. reardencode

reardencode Member

I hate how from some perspectives it looks longer than the 3 and others the same length. I wish they'd publish actual specifications.

8. GOVA

GOVA Mr Gumble

To me Model Y really is what the doctor ordered. Chrome delete is the cherry on top.

• Like x 2
  9. sam2035

sam2035 Member

Great work. Will be interesting to superimpose the S/Y.

10. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

#30 RIP->OPEC, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Great job!

Yup, it's going to be FREAKING AWSOME!!!!!! (This slightly PS'd re-rendering is what I plan for my Model Y Dual Motor Performance when it does arrive: Black (hopefully pearl) w/black interior (to be re-skinned in Porsche-like Dk-Red Leather), Tints, Lowered 1.5"-2" on CO's for even better handling & maneuverability, and riding on either 21"-22" Wheels/Tires with a slightly bumped out offset if possible.) (Click on pix to enlarge)
    Black Large Wheels2.jpg
    Classically SEXY! It’s a clean & stealthy Hot Looking EV Crossover Hatch (when configured right) that can seat 7 with a 300 mile range and a 3.5 second 0-60 time that should eat its competition... that’s awesome no matter how you slice it (through the air)! Can't wait!

11. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

#31 RIP->OPEC, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Nice work! However, even though the new Y shares its platform with the 3, that does not necessarily mean that their wheel base and tracks are identical... So yes... we need the Specs to be absolutely sure!

12. sreams

sreams Member

I did not match the images by matching wheelbase. I matched them by precisely matching the identical 19" wheels on both cars. The result was that the wheelbases also matched.

• Like x 1
  13. Shygar

Shygar Member

Can someone do the same thing with the second image (the cutout view) on this page with the same one on the Model 3 page? Model Y | Tesla

Looks like they almost line up already

14. sreams

sreams Member

I just looked... the cars are sitting at different angles, so this wouldn't work very well, unfortunately.

• Like x 1
  15. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

Oh, my bad! So you matched up just the rear (or just the front) set of wheels for each model and let the other set lay where it may without any shrinking or stretching? If so, that should be better but all kinds of things can also factor in when using two pictures taken by two separate cameras with different focal length lenses from different vantage points and/or distances etc. It's close, but any change in wheelbase (often 1"-2") will be hard to detect!

We need the full specs... are you hearing us Tesla?

16. reardencode

reardencode Member

Should be 5-6 inches taller to have 10% greater frontal area, so this looks pretty right to be.

17. sreams

sreams Member

Yes. I matched one wheel and let the rest line up.

As for camera perspective, I don't believe these are actually photos. They seem to be renders, especially considering that the wheel spokes are at exactly the same orientation between the 3 and the Y.

• Like x 1
  18. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

Agreed... Manufacturer renderings these days are usually generated directly from their CAD systems. So that should be good, however small variances at this tiny scale will make it hard to see if there are indeed any significant changes, especially since its probably less than < 2.5" or less.

We need the NUMBERS TESLA!

19. beenmb

beenmb Member

Well done. I think the Y is understated genius. Franz von Holzhausen and team should be commended. The evolutionary rather than revolutionary design is needed at this time. They are cashing in on all the trials and tribulations and start up costs of producing the M3. With the Y there probably won't be a production hell, no fit and finish problems maybe even perfect paint jobs by then. This design should save Tesla a ton of money in production. We all need Tesla to be successful and rock solid. They are reinventing the wheel and that costs money.

• Like x 1
  20. Torqueria

Torqueria Member

Yeah, the specs would most definitely be helpful! Can’t remember where I read it, but somehow got it in my head the the 3 and the Y had the same wheelbase. They may, but obviously we don’t know that for certain.

• Like x 1