Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/Y size comparison (gif)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the specs would most definitely be helpful! Can’t remember where I read it, but somehow got it in my head the the 3 and the Y had the same wheelbase. They may, but obviously we don’t know that for certain.

Agreed... I think you read they both share the same "platform". That may translate into sharing the exact same wheelbase & track, but in order to fit that third row, I'm guessing the Model 3's platform required a stretch of at least an inch or two in both dimensions... we'll see soon enough.

Well done. I think the Y is understated genius. Franz von Holzhausen and team should be commended. The evolutionary rather than revolutionary design is needed at this time. They are cashing in on all the trials and tribulations and start up costs of producing the M3. With the Y there probably won't be a production hell, no fit and finish problems maybe even perfect paint jobs by then. This design should save Tesla a ton of money in production. We all need Tesla to be successful and rock solid. They are reinventing the wheel and that costs money.

Very well said! I fully concur!

Lined everything up in Photoshop and did my best to match the 19" wheels. So this should give a pretty good idea of how much taller/larger the Model Y is. It is clear that the Y will have taller tires on the same wheels.

This is a very good first effort. I couldn't help but notice that the wheel size changes between the two GIFs. This makes me suspect that the wheelbase for the Y is actually longer and that one shouldn't scale to make the center of the wheels align, but to pick one wheel (say the front), and scale to make the wheel (sans tire) be the same.

This is a very good first effort. I couldn't help but notice that the wheel size changes between the two GIFs. This makes me suspect that the wheelbase for the Y is actually longer and that one shouldn't scale to make the center of the wheels align, but to pick one wheel (say the front), and scale to make the wheel (sans tire) be the same.

Okay, so here are a few more samples of perfectly aligning the diameter of the front 20" wheel of a Model PY and P3 from Tesla's renderings. With all things being equal (which they probably aren't) it appears the Y is significantly larger in all dimensions, including the wheelbase as suspected. It is after all, a Crossover or CUV. The track width is harder to tell but it too is probably larger as well. (To see better and differentiate the two, please click onto the pix to ENLARGE, thanks!)

#1.png

#2.png

Last edited:

That's exactly what I did. The rear wheel (sans tire) is perfectly matched for size and position, and the rest fell into place however it did.

... it appears the Y is significantly larger in all dimensions, including the wheelbase as suspected. It is after all, a Crossover or CUV.

1-png.389301

2-png.389303

Using comparison between the Model S and Model X,
I wonder how much efficiency penalty the Model Y would have compared to the Model 3?

Tesla Model S, 3, X takes on Audi e-tron in Autobahn range and efficiency test

Note: I'm still puzzle about switching to the Model Y from the Model 3 just for getting a hatchback,
while I don't need an SUV.

nextmove-Verbrauchstest-consumption-at-130-kph.jpg

nextmove-Verbrauchstest-consumption-at-150-kph.jpg

Reactions: GOVA
Really?
dfglwjnw0aeixja.jpg

2002-Pontiac-Aztek.jpg

Look more like a Model X
2017TSS010001_640_02.jpg
Fair enough, the X does look more like
The Azteca. FWIW I don’t live the side profile of the X, the back and front look good.

The Y needs a more differentiate identify in my opinion. I think the proportions are a bit off, the stretched it upwards but needs to sharpen the lines and get rid of the fish face in my opinion. Still it will be a great vehicle and I will take one if offered :) personally I am waiting for a used X. But the acceleration shutter, door seals, FWD and older battery tech are downsides. If the Y can fit my family comfortably on a road trip I may get one.

Fair enough, the X does look more like
The Y needs a more differentiate identify in my opinion.
I think the proportions are a bit off, the stretched it upwards but needs to sharpen the lines
and get rid of the fish face in my opinion.
I can't wait to see how the Tesla Pickup Truck will look like, I wonder if it will keep a family resemblance
or if there will be some departure from the original Model S style?

>> I can't wait to see how the Tesla Pickup Truck will look like,
>> I wonder if it will keep a family resemblance
>> or if there will be some departure from the original Model S style?

Spot on... :cool:
First Tesla pickup truck comes to life from Model 3 conversion
YouTuber known for 'shitty robots' turns Tesla Model 3 into pickup truck
As much as all the current Tesla models are particularly sleek and aesthetics,
in this regard Franz von Holzhausen is really a genius,
I found cutting off half of the roof to be a real eyesore:

tesla-pickup.jpg

I was in fact making references to various Tesla Pickup Truck proposals that popup time to time,
as a possible answer from Elon Musk tweet about the coming Tesla's 'Cyberpunk truck,'
but none of those futuristics sketches really inspire me so far:

tesla-pickup-truck-render-1-1024x641.jpg

tesla-pickup-truck-1a.jpg

Last edited:
I've been waiting for the Model Y since I first heard about it in the wake of the Model 3 launch. I do like the looks of it and would prefer a hatch generally. But my original plan to replace our SUV with the Model Y is likely not going to pan out. I've seen it in person at the shareholder event and it's just not big enough to be a sustainable replacement for our 2018 Tiguan. The only way we could carry everything would be to put a sizable roof box on it and that's going to severely diminish the range. Also, we have a large dog, and the steep rake of the rear windshield means she probably won't fit back there, so she'd be moving to the back seat anyway.

If both were available today I might still go with it as our second car, but I'm not sure the minimal ground-clearance difference, ride hight, and hatch are enough to justify the extra $6,000 ($4,000 price difference plus $2,000 lost fed tax credit) and at least 1.5 year wait over a Model 3.

I'm not down on the car overall. It IS very nice in person and will sell very well I think in the crossover/cSUV market. It just not falling in the right Goldilocks spot for our needs. Which is somewhat frustrating, because it means we're going to need to find a non-Tesla SUV replacement in a few years. Maybe the Rivian (which almost looks too big) or the VW ID BUZZ.

I've seen it in person at the shareholder event and it's just not big enough to be a sustainable replacement for our 2018 Tiguan.
The only way we could carry everything would be to put a sizable roof box on it and that's going to severely diminish the range.
Also, we have a large dog, and the steep rake of the rear windshield means she probably won't fit back there,
so she'd be moving to the back seat anyway.
The 2018 Tiguan with 3 rows is 185" long (the 2 rows was 174.5")
The Tesla Model Y estimated length is 190" long (4,83 m), or 5" to 6" longer than the Model 3.

The Tesla Model Y has also a noticeable forward passenger compartment (see the following extract)

One point of interest is that — judging by the starting point of the front windshield — the Model Y’s passenger compartment
appears to begin around 4 inches (100 mm) further forward than the Model 3. That obviously further helps the interior space.
So the Model Y is 5" longer than the Tiguan, which has an engine in the front, plus a forward passenger compartment.
I was wondering then if you were not talking in fact about the VW Atlas which is 198" long?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lobstahz