TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3/Y size comparison (gif)

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by sreams, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Syltann

Syltann Member

I'm personally not a big fan of how it looks. Almost like a perverted Model 3. Model 3 is perfect in size.

• Disagree x 1
  2. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

#42 RIP->OPEC, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Well it's meant to be a Large Car... I mean Crossover! At least wait until you see it live before passing your final judgement.

3. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

Agreed... I think you read they both share the same "platform". That may translate into sharing the exact same wheelbase & track, but in order to fit that third row, I'm guessing the Model 3's platform required a stretch of at least an inch or two in both dimensions... we'll see soon enough.

4. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

Very well said! I fully concur!

5. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

This is a very good first effort. I couldn't help but notice that the wheel size changes between the two GIFs. This makes me suspect that the wheelbase for the Y is actually longer and that one shouldn't scale to make the center of the wheels align, but to pick one wheel (say the front), and scale to make the wheel (sans tire) be the same.

6. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

#46 RIP->OPEC, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Okay, so here are a few more samples of perfectly aligning the diameter of the front 20" wheel of a Model PY and P3 from Tesla's renderings. With all things being equal (which they probably aren't) it appears the Y is significantly larger in all dimensions, including the wheelbase as suspected. It is after all, a Crossover or CUV. The track width is harder to tell but it too is probably larger as well. (To see better and differentiate the two, please click onto the pix to ENLARGE, thanks!)

#1.png

#2.png

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. sreams

sreams Member

That's exactly what I did. The rear wheel (sans tire) is perfectly matched for size and position, and the rest fell into place however it did.

8. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using comparison between the Model S and Model X,
    I wonder how much efficiency penalty the Model Y would have compared to the Model 3?

Tesla Model S, 3, X takes on Audi e-tron in Autobahn range and efficiency test

Note: I'm still puzzle about switching to the Model Y from the Model 3 just for getting a hatchback,
    while I don't need an SUV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  9. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Model S summer consumption data?

10. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

From Tesla Annual Shareholder Meeting June 11th, 2019:
    - Model 3 EPA miles per kWh: 4.0 miles
    - Model 3 EPA miles per kWh: 3.5 miles ( -13% )

20180611TMileage .jpg