Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/Y size comparison (gif)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they ever disclose exterior dimensions for any of their cars. Or at least I have never seen that on their website. If there is an obscure link buried deep under many pages which has this data, then clearly they don't want to make it obvious for a regular person to find it. All dimensions are posted by external sites, never official. I don't think that will change with Model Y. So I guess we would have to wait until someone actually gets their hands on a production model, measure it and then post them.Until then, we would have to wait. But seriously, if it is 3 inches shorter than Model 3, I won't buy it period. I can buy a Bolt/Niro/Kona if I wanted a smaller hatch back.

I don't think they ever disclose exterior dimensions for any of their cars. Or at least I have never seen that on their website. If there is an obscure link buried deep under many pages which has this data, then clearly they don't want to make it obvious for a regular person to find it. All dimensions are posted by external sites, never official. I don't think that will change with Model Y. So I guess we would have to wait until someone actually gets their hands on a production model, measure it and then post them.Until then, we would have to wait. But seriously, if it is 3 inches shorter than Model 3, I won't buy it period. I can buy a Bolt/Niro/Kona if I wanted a smaller hatch back.
There are pictures of Model Y beside model 3. Its obviously not shorter. How much taller is unclear, but best estimates put it at 5" taller. Can we put the shorter than model 3 thing to rest?

There are pictures of Model Y beside model 3. Its obviously not shorter. How much taller is unclear, but best estimates put it at 5" taller. Can we put the shorter than model 3 thing to rest?
I am so hoping that you are right and all these guys posting these made up (or so called scaled up) pictures calling it 3 inches shorter look stupid after the real dimensions are posted. But we won't know until someone actually measures it and posts the real dimensions.

I am so hoping that you are right and all these guys posting these made up (or so called scaled up) pictures calling it 3 inches shorter look stupid after the real dimensions are posted. But we won't know until someone actually measures it and posts the real dimensions.
Here are a few shots of 3s beside Ys.
IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG

The dimensions are disclosed in the instruction manual and online for each respective car.
I compiled the specs here under the "Specs" tab in comparison to other cars such as the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-PACE.

Reactions: FoverM and Lobstahz
The dimensions are disclosed in the instruction manual and online for each respective car.
I compiled the specs here under the "Specs" tab in comparison to other cars such as the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-PACE.

You beat me to it. Note that the manual has way more detailed specifications than the website, for example width is listed as bare/folded mirrors/expanded mirrors.

In the spreadsheet, why did you list Model 3 as no towing? You can nowadays order with a hitch, and that has 2000lbs, no? At least that's what the European version are listed as (910kg) - or I thought, can't find it immediately.

You beat me to it. Note that the manual has way more detailed specifications than the website, for example width is listed as bare/folded mirrors/expanded mirrors.

In the spreadsheet, why did you list Model 3 as no towing? You can nowadays order with a hitch, and that has 2000lbs, no? At least that's what the European version are listed as (910kg) - or I thought, can't find it immediately.

For the Model 3 in the US, towing is not "officially" supported. Third party options are available in the US, but may void a US warranty claim if found to contribute to an issue. Towing is supported in the EU as their regulations allow for it more so than in the US.

For the Model 3 in the US, towing is not "officially" supported. Third party options are available in the US, but may void a US warranty claim if found to contribute to an issue. Towing is supported in the EU as their regulations allow for it more so than in the US.

Oh, interesting. I guess they kept the towing "reserved" for Model Y then, as otherwise it doesn't make sense to withhold the towing capacity.

sorry you feel that way, but as an excited future Y Performance customer that already has a 3 in the garage and was eager to see how it would fit, I put the images from tesla’s product pages sourced from their side shots under the technical specs as I found those closely matched and probably composed in the same studio setup; and carefully scaled down the Model 3 image to match the Y in scale for the external components we know to be common ex. charge port door, autopilot fender cameras, door handles. I’ve played with the 3 over the Y on those key spots to ensure they were very close (same pixel or subpixel match) to indicate the scaling was to my satisfaction. I used to do web design and do serious photography and pay close attention to details. After spending some time with it thought others would benefit from the anim. gif that resulted.

As for removing/downvoting you, I’m not sure how that works as these were my 1st and 2nd reddit posts ever, and was surprised how popular it got. r/teslamotors has some automoderation going on which got earlier comments from me immediately removed- it might have been that?
my apologize as well, you did your best for helping us, and I agree that how thread manned in Reddit is a mystery. hopping for a bigger Y is wise of us all.

Last edited:
Thanks
But here are my observations about the links you have posted which what my post was about in the first place.
1) All those "User Manual" links you have posted are not straight forward to find for a general user of Tesla website. You can google them and possibly find a link to a downloadable PDF which you can read to get the specs. But my point is why a user has to go through that pain, this info should be right on the Tesla pages for the specific models. Which brings me to my second point below.
2) The three website links you have posted: First takes to a specs page which does not show exterior dimensions. So no idea why you posted that one. The second requires a log in. The third is an obscure press release that a general person would never think of going to if they want to look for a model specific information.

In short, by posting those links you have actually proved the point I was trying to make. This information should be right on Model 3/S/Y pages and people shouldn't have to fish for them. Show me any other car manufacturer's page which does *NOT* have this info for the car they are selling. Toyota, Honda, Audi, etc. all show exterior specs right on the page. Call it laziness on the part of website designers or whatever, but I feel that is something that they can (and should) improve.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Thanks
But here are my observations about the links you have posted which what my post was about in the first place.
1) All those "User Manual" links you have posted are not straight forward to find for a general user of Tesla website. You can google them and possibly find a link to a downloadable PDF which you can read to get the specs. But my point is why a user has to go through that pain, this info should be right on the Tesla pages for the specific models. Which brings me to my second point below.
2) The three website links you have posted: First takes to a specs page which does not show exterior dimensions. So no idea why you posted that one. The second requires a log in. The third is an obscure press release that a general person would never think of going to if they want to look for a model specific information.

In short, by posting those links you have actually proved the point I was trying to make. This information should be right on Model 3/S/Y pages and people shouldn't have to fish for them. Show me any other car manufacturer's page which does *NOT* have this info for the car they are selling. Toyota, Honda, Audi, etc. all show exterior specs right on the page. Call it laziness on the part of website designers or whatever, but I feel that is something that they can (and should) improve.
The link I opened Tesla Car Specs had an excel spreadsheet. One of the tabs was "Specs" which had the info you are looking for.

After driving around in my Model Y for a week, second guessing myself if I should have waited for the 3rd row, I still have no idea how they will fit in a 3rd row unless it is rear facing. It would be awesome if they pull of a design with functional 3rd row seats, but I still cannot picture it.