Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/Y size comparison (gif)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a different thread on TMC
X Y overlay.jpg

Here is an interesting size comparison... https://electrek.co/2020/01/16/tesla-model-y-prototype-sightings-increase-spotted-next-to-model-x-gives-size-comparison/

Now Electrek reader Leslie Inanchy spotted two Tesla Model Y prototypes being unloaded at Tesla’s HQ in Palo Alto and shared a few pictures: As you can see, the Model Y prototypes unloaded next to a Model X — giving an interesting size comparison between Tesla’s two electric SUVs. The new Model Y is often being confused with the Model X on the road, and while it appears almost as imposing as the Model X, the Model Y is more slender...

there is post on Reddit used incorrect overlay method to compare size of 3 and Y and got pretty shaddy once ppl point out his mistake, couple of post linked the image from here and youtube got removed right away. what's wrong with this guy, cannon accept his mistake or a brilliant demoter?
Model 3 and Y Performance scale comparison with current wheels

sorry you feel that way, but as an excited future Y Performance customer that already has a 3 in the garage and was eager to see how it would fit, I put the images from tesla’s product pages sourced from their side shots under the technical specs as I found those closely matched and probably composed in the same studio setup; and carefully scaled down the Model 3 image to match the Y in scale for the external components we know to be common ex. charge port door, autopilot fender cameras, door handles. I’ve played with the 3 over the Y on those key spots to ensure they were very close (same pixel or subpixel match) to indicate the scaling was to my satisfaction. I used to do web design and do serious photography and pay close attention to details. After spending some time with it thought others would benefit from the anim. gif that resulted.

As for removing/downvoting you, I’m not sure how that works as these were my 1st and 2nd reddit posts ever, and was surprised how popular it got. r/teslamotors has some automoderation going on which got earlier comments from me immediately removed- it might have been that?

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Is it confirmed that the Length and width of Model Y is same as Model 3? The picture above is trying to show that. It is showing only the height difference but is keeping the length exactly the same. It would be a shame if that happens. The SUV needs to be a little longer because of 3rd row seats and also possibly wider. Lets see what the final specs come out to be once they actually launch it.

Is it confirmed that the Length and width of Model Y is same as Model 3? The picture above is trying to show that. It is showing only the height difference but is keeping the length exactly the same. It would be a shame if that happens. The SUV needs to be a little longer because of 3rd row seats and also possibly wider. Lets see what the final specs come out to be once they actually launch it.
i think the length is the same from what i have read. and you are correct, it probably had to be a little longer if the 3rd seat was going to be big enough to seat adults, which it is NOT, according to those who have seen it. i didn't order it, i don't want to be the family taxi LOL