Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Years Later...Staff Continued to disappoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned my Tesla Model S P85 back in today and I have to say I am not that sad - - just a bad taste in my mouth. Full disclosure - I still own another Tesla 60 and it's been great. But the P85, overall, was a bust. Not worth the trouble. Here is a detailed full account:

3 years ago on day of delivery: Dent in the hood where you would put your hands to close it. I saw the dent within 15 seconds of eyeing my car for the first time. I guess Tesla staff never saw it though. They gave me a make-good and had to replace the entire hood.

1 month into the car ownership: My GPS has my car driving in the ocean and never on the road. Service call turns out there was a sticker placed in the manufacturing process near the GPS antenna.

2 months into it: My sun roof doesn't open and close correctly.

6 months into it: Floor mats can't stay still and find themselves blocking my brakes - they replace with the same.

8 months into: Floor mats still a joke they finally replace with something that can fasten down to the floor.

9 months into it: My tires are worn down at 10k miles. Need to replace all 4. I don't think anything of it.

15 months: Need new tires again (2). Now I express concern about the fast tire wear. Tire shop says there must be a problem with suspension. Its an air-suspension car so this is believable to me.

25 months: Replace 2 more tires. Don't feel like arguing with Tesla about my suspension.

26 months: I order a new Tesla Model D and lost $2500 configuration deposit because I didn't like the rough ride the D provided compared to my P85 and ended up buying a pre-owned car within a few days, but Tesla tells me to pound sand on the deposit - it's gone. Yet, the sold the car to someone else shortly around the time I took delivery of my pre-owned car -- I am thinking not cool. I have given them $108k for car one, $55k for car two and they get to keep a $2500 deposit on top of that. It's in their nonrefundable terms, but thinking it's not right still because I did buy a 2nd car from them.

35 months: Chargers are broken. Covered under warranty - everything was free, but just 800 miles more driven it would have been a $2000 expense I was told by service department = whew!

35.5 months: Discussing with Tesla staff about my resale value guarantee, my concerns about the warranty almost due, and debating buying a Model X. They talk me into not stressing over turning the car in on the first day of the RSG because all I would have to pay is the .25 per mile overage. Okay, I will keep my car until I can think more about model X. What they fail to tell me??? That I would have to pay for DMV registration because they will not accept my car without it being registered in my name. That wait and think play cost me $715 with late fees. Tesla, of course, won't reimburse.

35.7 Months: Rear Tire blows out with only 9,000 miles on it. Tow truck driver says he has never seen wear and tear on a tire like that and I have a suspension issue. Really? Explain that to Tesla!

36 months "Return Car Day": After spending 30 minutes doing my own pre-inspection report and uploading 20 images onto their website and filling out questionnaires and all this jazz, because they refuse to work with a third-party vendor to do the car wear-tear audit like all the other dealers do, I finally get my payoff amount and it's acceptable to me. Then when I arrive the staff says they miscalculated the mileage and it's $160 less than what they said, so I am screwed out of more funds.

What Tesla failed to recognize: I am an early adopter. I took a chance on them. I suffered multiple-to-too-many repairs and inconveniences out of my work days. I am a beta tester for them. The additional miles they discovered at the end to hit me for $160 is short-sided because they forget how many times my car had to be sent to the factory for repair - and I didn't complain. So I didn't buy their model X, I am still a Tesla owner. They treated me poorly.

I think I am owed:
$2500 deposit back
$710 in DMV fees
$160 milegage miscalculation mistake on their part in lieu of miles to/from repair facilities.

I think I am owed:
$2500 deposit back
$710 in DMV fees
$160 milegage miscalculation mistake on their part in lieu of miles to/from repair facilities.
Nobody on TMC can do anything about you getting that money back. Obviously you need to deal with Tesla directly. Your description details how you won't be getting that money back. So your lengthy post is...just you venting about it?

I think I am owed:
$2500 deposit back
$710 in DMV fees

+ many tires.

I own 2012 Opel Ampera (Chevy Volt), have done 113.000km so far and still on original tires. They have plenty of rubber left (even though I drive fast on autobahn), but I will have to replace them because of their age.

Last edited:
That all sucks but ....

Early adopters expect special treatment and they don't get it. Tesla could do better but I don't really blame them. The D model with a harsh ride? That doesn't make sense at all. You bought a car with a deposit but then didn't like something about it. That is a failure of due diligence. You asking for that back is appropriate. Complaining about it because you feel entitled to it is not. The D models don't ride rough. Were you used to air and worn tires? Perhaps. But most of us are very happy with the rides on the D so we don't know what you are talking about.

The $700 for registration. That isn't Tesla's fault. Again failure on your part to understand the paperwork. Now it might be confusing and I might have done the same thing but it isn't Tesla's fault.

Mileage miscalc. Come on. Do the math. If it is wrong, then make them fix it. If they did it wrong and fixed their mistake - can't blame Tesla for that.

Now - the tires on early P's with 21 inch rims were an issue. No doubt about it. But that is early adopter penalty. Plus 21 inch penalty.

Repairs don't seem horrible. Floor mats were a design issue - early adopter penalty. Otherwise - 3 repairs - GPS, sunroof and chargers. Not horrible.

Not worth the trouble - possibly. You drove a fantastic car for 3 years. Early adopter penalty for sure. Imagine the first Leaf owners who paid $500 a month to lease. That was an early adopter penalty for a much less ride. Or even worse, the ones that paid $40k to buy and sold for $10k in 3 years. Even with the TC, that is a lot of coin for a Leaf.