Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 years on, I have decided to move on from my beloved X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like the Rivian R1S would be perfect for you. Not sure if you've looked into it already, but it should be coming out second half of next year. I am in a similar boat as you (love the MX, probably won't get another one unless it's significantly redesigned) and I am anxiously waiting for the R1S to come out.
But Rivian doesn’t have a car you can buy and drive today. Or a space program.

With our 2nd set of twins arriving I needed something bigger too. I feel OP as I had a hard time too choosing between the MX and X7. Rented multiple MX’s for extended periods as I really wanted to like them but ended up with an X7 M50i and not regretting one bit. I think Tesla’s are amazing vehicles, especially M3 and MY being very competitive but in the $100k game there are no gimmicks like FWD or AP that can make up for the long list of draw backs as OP mentioned.

..... I think Tesla’s are amazing vehicles, especially M3 and MY being very competitive but in the $100k game there are no gimmicks like FWD or AP that can make up for the long list of draw backs as OP mentioned.

Very well said, I too had hard time deciding, but the noisy cabin, useless sunvisors, silly cup "cardboard", no rear armrest, etc. things just add up, and if the X7 that I wanted to purchase was not taken by another buyer right before I signed the contract, I would not be ended up with a 19 Raven MX. While MX does fulfill my reason of getting it to eliminate gas station visits, sooner or later, I think I would still get a X7.

Last edited:
With our 2nd set of twins arriving I needed something bigger too. I feel OP as I had a hard time too choosing between the MX and X7. Rented multiple MX’s for extended periods as I really wanted to like them but ended up with an X7 M50i and not regretting one bit. I think Tesla’s are amazing vehicles, especially M3 and MY being very competitive but in the $100k game there are no gimmicks like FWD or AP that can make up for the long list of draw backs as OP mentioned.

The primary reason to buy a Tesla should be to reduce your carbon footprint, not sure how a MX and a X7 are even "competing" against each other? Before I bought our MX 1 year ago, the competition was the Volvo XC90 PHEV and the new Lincoln Aviator PHEV. My wife loved the interior of the Aviator but it was their too small of battery and electric motor that caused it to lose out. Do I wish the MX had a nicer interior - sure. But it is far from the most important thing.

Almost exactly 3 years ago, we switched from X5 to MX. We had 2 different X5's before the MX. The only reason we started looking at something else other than X5 was that they discontinued the color my wife likes. She test drove the Lexus SUV and immediately hated how it drove. Then she test drove the MX and ordered one right after the test drive. Before that Tesla was not even on the radar. The only reason we did the test drive was her boss kept telling her how amazing his Tesla was.

We have no problem with space as our tallest family member (me) is under 5'10". 3 years later, all our cars are Tesla's. And they are all powered by our solar panels that we bought because of the Tesla's.

The primary reason to buy a Tesla should be to reduce your carbon footprint, not sure how a MX and a X7 are even "competing" against each other? Before I bought our MX 1 year ago, the competition was the Volvo XC90 PHEV and the new Lincoln Aviator PHEV. My wife loved the interior of the Aviator but it was their too small of battery and electric motor that caused it to lose out. Do I wish the MX had a nicer interior - sure. But it is far from the most important thing.
That’s a very nice reason, and it is one of the considerations for many of us. But the brilliance of Tesla is that for people who don’t care that much about carbon footprint there are a lot of other reasons to buy. It could be the convenience of not going to the gas station or the exhilaration of a ludicrous launch. For me it’s the execution of autopilot for a long commute. There’s still nobody out there who can truly match autopilot. That’s why I buy Tesla. By the way there’s also the connection to SpaceX that a lot of people find way cool...

Model 3 owner here. Regardless of the carbon footprint issue - although that is important to me as well - I can't imagine going back to owning an ICE car simply on the basis of the driving experience. Electric cars - at least Tesla electrics - are what cars always should have been. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. As for the drawbacks, there are a few - although none that have bothered me yet - but even these will be quickly ironed on. Not going back. No way.

And I have driven BMWs, including my father's (rest his soul) fairly recent mode 3 Series. There is no comparison - the Tesla Model 3 drives and handles so much better. My father loved that car, but I did not even consider keeping it when he passed away.

Last edited:
I wonder if the OP took a test drive of the newest Model X to see if anything had changed prior to making his decision. I cannot say he's wrong in his decision - he's weighed as many factors as he could, however, I have heard that the differences coming from a 2017 to a 2020/2021 was measurable (odds are less so between 2018 and now). Certainly it won't have dealt with all the issues he's mentioned, but there are a number of changes that I think make it worthy of consideration including the full-braking regen, raven suspension and better range (please note I'm coming from a 2017 Model S).

My own decision is forthcoming in January - hopefully pending some kind of announcement given the line change. I'm between the X and the Performance Y. If changes are announced, it's a stronger case for the X.

BMW and any Ford product are out of the picture for me - had both and came away disappointed in so many ways. For the OP, I wish him luck and hopefully Tesla will listen to the issues and look for solutions to earn his future consideration.

Reactions: DIL
I'm moving on from my MX as well. The battery technology just isn't there yet for family travel. Once the kids get over all the "cool games" on the infotainment, 1 hour waits at the supercharger stations is impractical. Not to mention, desperately looking for superchargers when you're on vacation. I got an RS6 as a last ICE hoorah before I permanently go back to electric, hopefully when you get reliable 500 miles in cold weather.

We replaced an Odyssey with '20 LR 6 seater. Our other car is a F15 X5M. Many BMWs/Audis/Porsches in our history.
With 3 Kids (7-14), we don't miss the Odyssey's space inside. Before we got the X, we looked at all the luxury SUVs with hybrid powertrains. The X had the most useful 3rd row and most cargo space. Not the main reason we bought it clearly, but it's been totally practical for us with virtually no compromises. It's got 12K on it now and zero shop visits (aside from the delivery fixes). We've taken 2 2000+ Mile trips to colorado in it now with 4 bikes, and cargo for 2 weeks.

After 1 year is still feels special. The delights/exceeds expectations have been 3 things. 1) Electronics/Software are in a class of their own. I've never cared that much given how how quick all of my german cars have been to get stale on the software/services front, but the Tesla is changing my feelings toward software in the car. 2) Ride. Wow, the new air suspension is ridiculous. Sometimes it's betrayed by cheaper underlying NVH isolation parts (bushings and body insulation). We've generally been on the further side of sportiness and resulting harshness with our picks, but the x in Auto handles surprisingly well while riding on a cloud. The Odyssey was junk in the ride and NVH front. 3) Acceleration. We just have the LR, but it's faster than our X5M in everyday use. The response of the throttle is excellent.

On the negative side I just have 2 small things. The first is long distance travel. On our trips to Colorado from Austin, I found that the trip planner was useless. Tesla seems so determined to make you feel like you have big range that it's made the planner dangerous. A good example is the option to drive the diagonal from Trinidad to Amarillo. The X was more than happy to predict a 15% battery on arrival. It's a 75/80 mph speed limit. At that speed we would not have made it half way. At 60mph we made it, but it is dangerous to travel that slow in Texas, and even more dangerous at night. I end up finding and using "a better route planner" software which was spot on. you can calibrate it to the true efficiency of the car based on data the car collects. Once I dialed that in, we were all set. But, even still, charging time adds about 4 hours to the trip each way, especially in the texas summer when the chargers pull back on current. Pro-tip - Make sure you use the charge ports that have been in the shadows, and charge with your port side in the shadow. But having complained about long trips, I will say it was like an adventure and absolutely worth it. It's mazing that you can find super charger stations sprinkled throughout rural Texas. Tesla crushed it here.
The last small thing is that the NVH, while pretty good, is not as good as it could be for a $110K, 6K lbs car. It might as well have double layer glass, sound deadening, and better bushings.

Compared to German interiors, of which Porsche has the best right now, the X is more like an Infiniti. I don't notice it like I thought I would. The seats are excellent despite not having cooling. The plastics are hollow and cheap feeling, but at least better than the 3/Y.

When I take my X5M in for service, I usually get an X7 as a loaner. I really don't like it. It weighs less than an X, but it feels sloppy, ponderous, slow, and like it's trying too hard with the styling inside and out. The 3rd row is also less useful somehow than the X (my kids tell me). Can't wait for a cyber truck so I can ditch our X5M and still tow a car to the track. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I am replacing my leased model S with a model X in March. We also have a Honda Odyssey, so the comparison is helpful.

We replaced an Odyssey with '20 LR 6 seater. Our other car is a F15 X5M. Many BMWs/Audis/Porsches in our history.
With 3 Kids (7-14), we don't miss the Odyssey's space inside. Before we got the X, we looked at all the luxury SUVs with hybrid powertrains. The X had the most useful 3rd row and most cargo space. Not the main reason we bought it clearly, but it's been totally practical for us with virtually no compromises. It's got 12K on it now and zero shop visits (aside from the delivery fixes). We've taken 2 2000+ Mile trips to colorado in it now with 4 bikes, and cargo for 2 weeks.

After 1 year is still feels special. The delights/exceeds expectations have been 3 things. 1) Electronics/Software are in a class of their own. I've never cared that much given how how quick all of my german cars have been to get stale on the software/services front, but the Tesla is changing my feelings toward software in the car. 2) Ride. Wow, the new air suspension is ridiculous. Sometimes it's betrayed by cheaper underlying NVH isolation parts (bushings and body insulation). We've generally been on the further side of sportiness and resulting harshness with our picks, but the x in Auto handles surprisingly well while riding on a cloud. The Odyssey was junk in the ride and NVH front. 3) Acceleration. We just have the LR, but it's faster than our X5M in everyday use. The response of the throttle is excellent.

On the negative side I just have 2 small things. The first is long distance travel. On our trips to Colorado from Austin, I found that the trip planner was useless. Tesla seems so determined to make you feel like you have big range that it's made the planner dangerous. A good example is the option to drive the diagonal from Trinidad to Amarillo. The X was more than happy to predict a 15% battery on arrival. It's a 75/80 mph speed limit. At that speed we would not have made it half way. At 60mph we made it, but it is dangerous to travel that slow in Texas, and even more dangerous at night. I end up finding and using "a better route planner" software which was spot on. you can calibrate it to the true efficiency of the car based on data the car collects. Once I dialed that in, we were all set. But, even still, charging time adds about 4 hours to the trip each way, especially in the texas summer when the chargers pull back on current. Pro-tip - Make sure you use the charge ports that have been in the shadows, and charge with your port side in the shadow. But having complained about long trips, I will say it was like an adventure and absolutely worth it. It's mazing that you can find super charger stations sprinkled throughout rural Texas. Tesla crushed it here.
The last small thing is that the NVH, while pretty good, is not as good as it could be for a $110K, 6K lbs car. It might as well have double layer glass, sound deadening, and better bushings.

Compared to German interiors, of which Porsche has the best right now, the X is more like an Infiniti. I don't notice it like I thought I would. The seats are excellent despite not having cooling. The plastics are hollow and cheap feeling, but at least better than the 3/Y.

When I take my X5M in for service, I usually get an X7 as a loaner. I really don't like it. It weighs less than an X, but it feels sloppy, ponderous, slow, and like it's trying too hard with the styling inside and out. The 3rd row is also less useful somehow than the X (my kids tell me). Can't wait for a cyber truck so I can ditch our X5M and still tow a car to the track. Thanks for reading.

Love all the comments and perspectives being offered here.

When I bought the MX late 2017, I was in the market for a fast family hauler. It was just me, my SO and our 2 dogs. I considered and drove the X5, Q7 and the Range Rover Sport. The MX wasn't even in consideration as I'd assumed it was waaay beyond my reach. It was one of those dream cars that I only hoped to own one day. We decided to go check it out anyway and thats when the magic words were first heard "Unlimited Supercharging". For a family that does 35-40k miles per year, that bridged the cost gap at the time, the MX offered way more than the other cars under consideration (X5, Q7, Range Rover).

At the start of the pandemic, the family expanded to include couple of tall seniors who also have as much wanderlust as we do. So what do seniors want?

1) They need to stay warmer than others - MX doesn't offer 5 zone climate control with individual controls for all passengers.
2) They need the space to stretch out their legs - MX falls short when two tall people sit one behind the other.
3) They have a lot less patience - Supercharging becomes a chore
4) During cornering, they need something to hold onto - MX doesn't have overhead handles that are standard on a Nissan.
5) The amount of glass on the Tesla makes it uncomfortable when the sun is directly ahead and when it gets cold, it doesn't provide enough insulation.

We all tend to buy our cars from a driving standpoint and the Tesla really stands out. On demand acceleration, autopilot, cornering without a hint of body roll, but all of it becomes secondary when your passengers are uncomfortable.

2-3 weeks back I set out to look for a stop gap full size luxury SUV that does its best to address all of my problems while maintaining the same level of performance. The answer was a 2020 BMW X7 x50i. Bought off the lot, 20k off MSRP as it was a '2020'(May 2020 mfged) and not a '2021'(June 2020 onwards). It does tick all the boxes and the way I see it, it most definitely is my last ICE, might as well be a twin turbo V8.

Attached is a picture of my new wheels in its natural habitat:
PXL_20201226_050117284 cop.jpg

I’ve been shopping for an X7 as well. How’s the cargo space on that compared to the MX? I’ve been concerned that the ICE and rear drive shaft would take up from the frunk and deep rear cargo. I have 3 kids and one needs to sit in the 3rd row.

Outright cargo space is lacking especially with all passengers loaded up. I miss the frunk. Storage of knick-knacks is vastly improved. Bottles, receipts and now Masks no longer fly off the cupholders or roll around on the floor like they used to on the MX.

• Informative
Reactions: sllvgl