Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 years on, I have decided to move on from my beloved X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Qualifying statement: We're a family of 4. The shortest person is 5'10". We have two dogs, each 65 lbs that travel everywhere with us (by everywhere, I mean they jump into the car for a CVS run).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Model X and I wish I didn't have to sell it but 10 days in a BMW X7 told me a lot about what I need in a family hauler. In order, they are

1) Space
2) Creature comforts

In both of these metrics, the Model X is severely lacking.

Space issues:
The car looks big, the dimensions seem to match some of the biggest SUVs on the market but a side by side comparison tells you that the steep rake on both ends severely eat into your personal space. The falcon wing doors are an amazing thing but the way they're packaged leaves a lot to be desired. The central spine that forms the roof of the car contributes to an almost cave like feeling that I simply don't get in the Model 3 or the Model Y with the all-glass roof. The aerodynamic needs of the car also don't help as the A and C pillars angle into the car to meet the roof. This eats into shoulder space. The seats are not made for tall, broad shouldered people as the contour is super narrow. Also, my thighs have been hanging in mid air for 3 years as they aren't deep enough. The same complaints come from the rear passengers as well. My choice of a black interior was not wise as it contributes to the cave like feeling. Perhaps a lighter toned headliner will help. Also the headrests are atrocious.

Creature comforts:
Rear passengers don't get any storage options. Something as simple as stowing a water bottle is an issue as the provided cupholders are too shallow. You can forget about stuff like magazines and flyers. The only place to keep them is upfront but what's the point of that? Interior lighting is horrible. Cars at half this price point have ambient lighting that is a necessity in my opinion. The white LEDs feel super cheap and dim in comparison. The materials are fit for a Honda Civic. Cars at this price point have 5 zone climate control with a control module for the rear occupants. The handle and hook combo that is always available for every passenger is also a big miss. Especially when the X pulls more Gs than a normal car.

These are some other things I noticed during my 10-day stint with the Beemer that didn't reflect well on the X:
1) Dogs complained a lot less - seems to me the very back of the X was not a happy place to be
2) Despite having lesser overall glass area, the passengers were able to see a lot more out the car, this is probably because they were sat squarer as the BMW had more shoulder room.
3) Car entry illumination at night was better on the BMW, as was ambient lighting, which was outstanding on the X7.
4) The Model X wind and road noise was especially apparent after the church like silence in the X7. (Double paned windows FTW)
5) I didn't need to "manage" the sun as much because the windshield didn't arc over my head.
6) The X is an outstanding dynamic car. The low center of gravity allows you to take turns at speeds other SUVs can only dream of, but the amount of G's being pulled due to the stiff lower floor can get tiring for the passengers, even nauseating. The X7 is a top heavy car but I felt it managed it better, ie, it transmitted the right amount of motion dampening to the cabin.
7) Seat adjustability was infinitely better on the X7.

Stuff I'll miss with the my car:
1. Automatic doors
2. Dog mode
3. Autopilot (Still randomly slams on the brakes under overpasses, its also my opinion that FSD is useless for as long as all other cars are driven manually)
4. On demand acceleration
5. The cool factor, rolling up at the Valet in an all Black X is a good feeling anytime, anywhere. The Beemer is definitely more family man than that.
6. The ownership experience: The car has been to service twice, both occasions only because I felt it was weird to not go. On both occasions, I didn't have an answer to why I was there.
7. Costs me nothing to run. (Solar at home charges the car and free supercharging during road trips)

Yes, I did consider the Rivian R1S that seems to address these issues on paper but unless they have something as widespread and reliable as the supercharging network, they're not viable options.

So what does that leave me with?

[Option 1] which I would absolutely jump at:
Hold onto the X until Tesla announce a Cyber-SUV that addresses space and luxury concerns while delivering 600 miles on a single charge.

[Option 2]
Go back to German ICE. Get a lot more car for the money until electrification moves forward(500+ mile range and widespread charging infra available across manufacturers), which is still probably a decade away. Money-wise it makes more sense as well I don't think a Model X with ~295 miles on a single charge will be relevant anymore once Tesla update their batteries.

Not to knock on anything, I currently have an X, and have had a BMW X5 in the past. My Tesla definitely lacks that premium cabinet feel, but I dont miss going to the gas station. My BMW X5 was the biggest piece of crap I ever had. Broke down so much to the point that it just wouldn't start w/ 6 months left on my lease, so they took the car back. I decided at that point no more German made cars.

If I go with a non EV , Im going to go that Lincoln Navigator, looks pretty nice inside.

Not to knock on anything, I currently have an X, and have had a BMW X5 in the past. My Tesla definitely lacks that premium cabinet feel, but I dont miss going to the gas station. My BMW X5 was the biggest piece of crap I ever had. Broke down so much to the point that it just wouldn't start w/ 6 months left on my lease, so they took the car back. I decided at that point no more German made cars.

If I go with a non EV , Im going to go that Lincoln Navigator, looks pretty nice inside.

Yep. BMWs have some reliability issues. We have owned about 15 over the last 20+ years. We lease 2 vehicles and replaced them every 2 years. We have owned BMW 7,6,5,3, x3, and x5. Some were fine, some real stinkers. The Xs fit into this latter category. Lots of initial quality issues with rattles. Later on electronic issues (display shutdown, software updates that broke features). Still better than the used 3s we bought for kids. Both require $7,000 turbo and wastegate replacements at 50-60,000 miles.

Read up on these issues at places like Bimmerfest.com. I think my post of me with my head down under the glove box trying to fix rattles while my wife was driving on a week old X3 are still online.

If one really wanted a luxury and comfortable SUV with high reliability I would look at a Lexus. Old design, slow, but really reliable, quiet, and luxurious if seats and things like that define luxury.

Yep. BMWs have some reliability issues. We have owned about 15 over the last 20+ years. We lease 2 vehicles and replaced them every 2 years. We have owned BMW 7,6,5,3, x3, and x5. Some were fine, some real stinkers. The Xs fit into this latter category. Lots of initial quality issues with rattles. Later on electronic issues (display shutdown, software updates that broke features). Still better than the used 3s we bought for kids. Both require $7,000 turbo and wastegate replacements at 50-60,000 miles. Read up on these issues at places like Bimmerfest.com

If one really wanted a luxury and comfortable SUV with high reliability I would look at a Lexus. Old design, slow, but really reliable, quiet, and luxurious if seats and things like that define luxury.

Yes Lexus has fantastic interiors, but I had a GX 460, it was so tight I couldnt breath and my neck hurt all the time, I sold that in 2 weeks. Then I went with an Tahoe instead. Tahoes are pretty comfortable and quiet, but man they put out tons of exhaust!

Qualifying statement: We're a family of 4. The shortest person is 5'10". We have two dogs, each 65 lbs that travel everywhere with us (by everywhere, I mean they jump into the car for a CVS run).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Model X and I wish I didn't have to sell it but 10 days in a BMW X7 told me a lot about what I need in a family hauler. In order, they are

1) Space
2) Creature comforts

In both of these metrics, the Model X is severely lacking.

Space issues:
The car looks big, the dimensions seem to match some of the biggest SUVs on the market but a side by side comparison tells you that the steep rake on both ends severely eat into your personal space. The falcon wing doors are an amazing thing but the way they're packaged leaves a lot to be desired. The central spine that forms the roof of the car contributes to an almost cave like feeling that I simply don't get in the Model 3 or the Model Y with the all-glass roof. The aerodynamic needs of the car also don't help as the A and C pillars angle into the car to meet the roof. This eats into shoulder space. The seats are not made for tall, broad shouldered people as the contour is super narrow. Also, my thighs have been hanging in mid air for 3 years as they aren't deep enough. The same complaints come from the rear passengers as well. My choice of a black interior was not wise as it contributes to the cave like feeling. Perhaps a lighter toned headliner will help. Also the headrests are atrocious.

Creature comforts:
Rear passengers don't get any storage options. Something as simple as stowing a water bottle is an issue as the provided cupholders are too shallow. You can forget about stuff like magazines and flyers. The only place to keep them is upfront but what's the point of that? Interior lighting is horrible. Cars at half this price point have ambient lighting that is a necessity in my opinion. The white LEDs feel super cheap and dim in comparison. The materials are fit for a Honda Civic. Cars at this price point have 5 zone climate control with a control module for the rear occupants. The handle and hook combo that is always available for every passenger is also a big miss. Especially when the X pulls more Gs than a normal car.

These are some other things I noticed during my 10-day stint with the Beemer that didn't reflect well on the X:
1) Dogs complained a lot less - seems to me the very back of the X was not a happy place to be
2) Despite having lesser overall glass area, the passengers were able to see a lot more out the car, this is probably because they were sat squarer as the BMW had more shoulder room.
3) Car entry illumination at night was better on the BMW, as was ambient lighting, which was outstanding on the X7.
4) The Model X wind and road noise was especially apparent after the church like silence in the X7. (Double paned windows FTW)
5) I didn't need to "manage" the sun as much because the windshield didn't arc over my head.
6) The X is an outstanding dynamic car. The low center of gravity allows you to take turns at speeds other SUVs can only dream of, but the amount of G's being pulled due to the stiff lower floor can get tiring for the passengers, even nauseating. The X7 is a top heavy car but I felt it managed it better, ie, it transmitted the right amount of motion dampening to the cabin.
7) Seat adjustability was infinitely better on the X7.

Stuff I'll miss with the my car:
1. Automatic doors
2. Dog mode
3. Autopilot (Still randomly slams on the brakes under overpasses, its also my opinion that FSD is useless for as long as all other cars are driven manually)
4. On demand acceleration
5. The cool factor, rolling up at the Valet in an all Black X is a good feeling anytime, anywhere. The Beemer is definitely more family man than that.
6. The ownership experience: The car has been to service twice, both occasions only because I felt it was weird to not go. On both occasions, I didn't have an answer to why I was there.
7. Costs me nothing to run. (Solar at home charges the car and free supercharging during road trips)

Yes, I did consider the Rivian R1S that seems to address these issues on paper but unless they have something as widespread and reliable as the supercharging network, they're not viable options.

So what does that leave me with?

[Option 1] which I would absolutely jump at:
Hold onto the X until Tesla announce a Cyber-SUV that addresses space and luxury concerns while delivering 600 miles on a single charge.

[Option 2]
Go back to German ICE. Get a lot more car for the money until electrification moves forward(500+ mile range and widespread charging infra available across manufacturers), which is still probably a decade away. Money-wise it makes more sense as well I don't think a Model X with ~295 miles on a single charge will be relevant anymore once Tesla update their batteries.

Well said! For these reasons I traded in my 2018 MX for M3 and then moved to MY. Super happy with MY.

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93 and Ciaopec

LOVE LOVE my German cars and would never own a Navigator. I know people that have had nothing but problems with their 100K+ Navigators. That said, the first gen X5 did suffer from excessive mechanical/service issues. My 2021 Cayenne GTS is glorious and a marvel of German engineering.

LOVE LOVE my German cars and would never own a Navigator. I know people that have had nothing but problems with their 100K+ Navigators. That said, the first gen X5 did suffer from excessive mechanical/service issues. My 2021 Cayenne GTS is glorious and a marvel of German engineering.

Well said, just saying for me Im done with them. My dad also had an Audi, piece of crap, even the door handles would break haha. Then one day it stopped working. He had a Alfa Remero.. that was piece of crap too, he sold it after one year, but isn't that Italian made?

But also isn't it the German auto companies that lied about emissions? Hell even my German made Continetal tires are crap. Just changed those out this am for some pirellis, much better.

Well, give another brand a try, and let us know if you miss the Model X, or the grass is truly greener the other side.

Already bought a BMW X7. It is more luxurious with loads of space and I already know I'm digging myself a hole to crawl into once the fuel and maintenance costs start adding up.

I love my MX and find it hard to part with it. As I said in posts before this, I do hope Tesla come out with a more spacious full size SUV that isn't all swoopy. I understand the need for it to be aerodynamic but the packaging can and should be improved.

Already bought a BMW X7. It is more luxurious with loads of space and I already know I'm digging myself a hole to crawl into once the fuel and maintenance costs start adding up.

I love my MX and find it hard to part with it. As I said in posts before this, I do hope Tesla come out with a more spacious full size SUV that isn't all swoopy. I understand the need for it to be aerodynamic but the packaging can and should be improved.

I’ve been shopping for an X7 as well. How’s the cargo space on that compared to the MX? I’ve been concerned that the ICE and rear drive shaft would take up from the frunk and deep rear cargo. I have 3 kids and one needs to sit in the 3rd row.

It sounds like the Rivian R1S would be perfect for you. Not sure if you've looked into it already, but it should be coming out second half of next year. I am in a similar boat as you (love the MX, probably won't get another one unless it's significantly redesigned) and I am anxiously waiting for the R1S to come out.

Reactions: Watts_Up and McMoo