Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 years on, I have decided to move on from my beloved X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like the Rivian R1S would be perfect for you. Not sure if you've looked into it already, but it should be coming out second half of next year. I am in a similar boat as you (love the MX, probably won't get another one unless it's significantly redesigned) and I am anxiously waiting for the R1S to come out.

R1S looks amazing. But I'll need more confidence in the fast charging capability first. Can't risk being stranded in a Rivian. Was stranded once in the MX (rolled upto a 3rd party charger that was out of order in the middle of nowhere with 1% charge), at least I was 40 miles from a good, working, well lit supercharger.

1) They need to stay warmer than others - MX doesn't offer 5 zone climate control with individual controls for all passengers.

Butt warming is more efficient and should be sufficient.

2) They need the space to stretch out their legs - MX falls short when two tall people sit one behind the other.

True, but "seniors" won't understand to complain.

3) They have a lot less patience - Supercharging becomes a chore

Seniors will fall asleep in no time.

4) During cornering, they need something to hold onto - MX doesn't have overhead handles that are standard on a Nissan.

Easy fix, drive extra slowly when transporting seniors.

5) The amount of glass on the Tesla makes it uncomfortable when the sun is directly ahead and when it gets cold, it doesn't provide enough insulation.

You can cover all that, check out Tesla Bjorn's youtube videos ("camping mode").

2-3 weeks back I set out to look for a stop gap full size luxury SUV that does its best to address all of my problems while maintaining the same level of performance. The answer was a 2020 BMW X7 x50i. Bought off the lot, 20k off MSRP as it was a '2020'(May 2020 mfged) and not a '2021'(June 2020 onwards). It does tick all the boxes and the way I see it, it most definitely is my last ICE, might as well be a twin turbo V8.

To me, afterall, it seems you had a foregone conclusion. All that matters is, that you're happy with your choice.

The other MAJOR complaint I had with my Model X was a lack of proper elbow rest position for your right arm. Its rest is just too far back and your had ends up dangling around, or forced to rest on your lap. Which also means the cup holders are way too far back. For those who like to occasionally drive with right arm resting on the middle stack, the MX is truly lacking.

Reactions: sllvgl
Interesting perspectives here. Clearly the Model X (and electric cars more generally) still are not going to meet the needs of everyone just yet: especially those who go on frequent long road trips, to areas with no handy Superchargers and destination charging, with multiple large adults in the car, etc. I hope that Tesla is listening for design tips for a refreshed version of the X, although some of the needs (much greater range and even faster Supercharging) will require further technological improvements. Electric vehicles have come a long way recently, but still have some way to go for certain applications.

All that said, not everyone has those needs. So far we have not had to make compromises in our driving with our Model 3, and based on our previous driving history, our future compromises will be limited. I don't think there have been more than a handful of trips that we have taken with our previous ICE cars over the past 20 years that would be impossible or even seriously compromised using our Model 3. And should something up like that come up, I am prepared to rent an ICE vehicle for a weekend or a week (something we did occasionally even when we owned ICE cars, if they were not quite the right vehicle for the trip) allowing us to continue to drive electric the rest of the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
The other MAJOR complaint I had with my Model X was a lack of proper elbow rest position for your right arm. Its rest is just too far back and your had ends up dangling around, or forced to rest on your lap. Which also means the cup holders are way too far back. For those who like to occasionally drive with right arm resting on the middle stack, the MX is truly lacking.

In addition to this, the complete lack of arm rests in the second row is puzzling. The 6-seater middle row captain chairs are uncomfortable on long rides because there are no arm rests. Why would they leave out such a basic thing? They can't cost more than a hundred dollars for Tesla and the engineering for an arm rest is super simple. It boggles my mind that they don't have them.

In addition to this, the complete lack of arm rests in the second row is puzzling. The 6-seater middle row captain chairs are uncomfortable on long rides because there are no arm rests. Why would they leave out such a basic thing? They can't cost more than a hundred dollars for Tesla and the engineering for an arm rest is super simple. It boggles my mind that they don't have them.

With all the wind noise coming in I bet the arm rests got scrapped because they had a negative aerodynamic impact in the wind tunnel tests

Butt warming is more efficient and should be sufficient.

True, but "seniors" won't understand to complain.

Seniors will fall asleep in no time.

Easy fix, drive extra slowly when transporting seniors.

You can cover all that, check out Tesla Bjorn's youtube videos ("camping mode").

To me, afterall, it seems you had a foregone conclusion. All that matters is, that you're happy with your choice.

Did everything you thought of. March 2020 to December 2020. Didn't work.

I didn't want to give up on it.

Reactions: 07e92
I just did the same... Loved both MX but just needed a change.
FWD will be missed
BMW wireless carplay I love
BMW is just so much more luxurious inside
V8 is almost as fast as the 100D

I'll be back for another MX once there is a face lift?

Attachments

• IMG-9905.jpg
    IMG-9905.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 126
Man just stumbled on this thread and glad I did. Looking for a new family car and we are having a tough time picking between the rsq8, x7 m50i, cayenne turbo, and the X. Wife came only came from electric cars so the speed is a big factor but was blown away by how quiet these cars are compared the X. Can't believe a 100k+ X doesn't come with double panel glass. Also the range is bleh. Really hoping a triple motor X gets announced in q1.

I'm done with ICE. The fact that I could heat up the cabin with the garage doors closed is a no brainer. Also, keeping the cabin heated/cooled for more than 15/20 mins is awesome. You're at a friend's house, you're about to leave, so you remote start to heat up your cabin in your ICE car. Then you leave 30 minutes later because you got caught up with conversations just to go into your cold car that was shut off 15 minutes after it started. Fail!

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

FYI - my 2018 P100D has a center console between the two captain chairs so the kids have storage and an arm rest. This was an option on my window sticker.

So, no issue here with this.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC