Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 years on, I have decided to move on from my beloved X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI - my 2018 P100D has a center console between the two captain chairs so the kids have storage and an arm rest. This was an option on my window sticker.

So, no issue here with this.

1) The center console option is no longer offered
2) Why aren't there foldable arm rests for non-console 6-seaters and a pull-down arm rest for the bench seats on 5/7-seaters?

This is a basic feature that every base model $25k minivan has. Not sure why Tesla can't do it.

Last edited:
2) Why aren't there foldable arm rests for non-console 6-seaters and the bench seats for 5/7-seaters?

This is a basic feature that every base model $25k minivan has. Not sure why Tesla can't do it.

i don't disagree with your sentiment.

FWIW, there is an owner on here who got a local Tesla service center to install this center console on a non-2018 model (i'm sure the thread is somewhere in the forum archives; it included the invoice paperwork too). not sure how "easy" of a task it was to get it done via Tesla and their service reps, but it sounds like it is "possible" to get installed.

Last edited:
2) Why aren't there foldable arm rests for non-console 6-seaters and a pull-down arm rest for the bench seats on 5/7-seaters?

I agree. The rear center console is pretty useless since you can't use it as an arm rest and just makes getting to the back seats that much more tedious for the kids .I removed it and patched a do it yourself fix.
IMG_6675.jpeg

Reactions: VikH
Are there compromises in the X? Yes. Is it perfect? No. But until there's another electric SUV on the market that can eclipse the X, I'm 100% staying put.

Long story short - a deer decided to mate with my wife's 1.5 year old Enclave... A decision which ended up poorly for both of them. If there were an electric Enclave, she probably would've pushed for that as a replacement. But buying another gas vehicle, now, in 2020 was out of the question.

So the X it is, compromises and all. Still nothing else to even look at out there. Maybe in a few years, once Rivian has their act together (hopefully), and the other guys can catch up to Tesla's 2016 ...

Exactly. There’s still no real competition in EV or autonomy or OTA updates or charging infrastructure or ...

Are there compromises in the X? Yes. Is it perfect? No. But until there's another electric SUV on the market that can eclipse the X, I'm 100% staying put.

Long story short - a deer decided to mate with my wife's 1.5 year old Enclave... A decision which ended up poorly for both of them. If there were an electric Enclave, she probably would've pushed for that as a replacement. But buying another gas vehicle, now, in 2020 was out of the question.

So the X it is, compromises and all. Still nothing else to even look at out there. Maybe in a few years, once Rivian has their act together (hopefully), and the other guys can catch up to Tesla's 2016 ...

Reactions: wreighven
We looked, all of the big SUVs. We end up with another X.

We still have a '19 Range Rover Sport in the garage, have to drive it today because battery was getting low from sitting around. It's a 2019 Sport ATB, with the Supercharged V8, plenty of power. I still prefer to drive the '21 X. It's now my favorite EV. We kept the old '16 X as well.

Also looked at the Bentayga, wife don't want us to be Bentley people. So no Bentayga. X7 / GLS, Cayenne (had a Cayenne), Q7 (had a Q7), Q8, I was even tempted to give the Urus a try. All these cars have better craftsmanship and their cars put together way better than Tesla.

We're lucky enough to afford multiple Tesla, so when one is @ the SC, we just the drive the others. So that time consuming issue, is not that much of a deal for me. The constant complaints about build quality and warranty issues, it's not the biggest deal-breaker for me. Lucky also, all 3 of my Tesla did not really have any big issues, and all of them fixed by Tesla under warranty.

I think the tech, completely electric, charging network, all moves the brand higher up on my list. I love sitting in the Germans/Brits, but I love driving the Tesla.

Was just having this discussion the other day, and I think Tesla are best as your second car, if you have a backup car when it does need to get serviced. My '21 X, which I picked up in Nov, already in the shop twice. My '19 RRS, picked up in 2018, only in shop for it's annual maintenance. And Range Rovers have the worst reputation of them all, this is my 2nd RRS by the way. When I was buying in 2018, my 2016 X was only a year and half old, and the 2018s were not much differentiated from the '16s. The '21 is huge, even thought it looks the same, to me, it's almost a completely new car.

Anyway, my point. I think all the top tier SUVs out there, are built better, no doubt. But the invisible factor for me is, just something about BEV and the way the X drives, I don't even know how to describe it. Given all the choices I can have in a SUV, I picked the X again.

Anyway, prompted to answer because I drove the Sport today and I can't believe I how much I love the X. Battery was running low from it sitting in the garage, so took it out for a long drive. Now it's parked in the garage for another month before I drive it again.

-ThinkMac-

I'm surprised no-one here has looked at the new Mercedes GLS? I sat in it the other day, its really nice and also has a nice air filter which I would miss if I left the X. Any thoughts?

My wife has a GLS. It’s been in the shop several times and i doubt we will keep it much longer. If I had bought my a Tesla before the GLS it wouldn’t have been an option. We have two small kids and felt we needed a large gas SUV, now we somehow only take my little M3 on every trip. We will get a Y or X when we sell the Mercedes and not look back.

Edit: the Mercedes GLS has a trickle charger hooked up because we never drive it.

Reactions: wreighven
Well, now that Lord Boreal has been poisoned,
I'd be happy to inherit his shiny black Model X,
compromises and all.
We love ours. The 3/Y may feel newer and all but...at least the Raven revisions just feel so much more refined.

I'd like to see a display upgrade available for the 3/Y. Like an ultrawide or at least a 17-19 display.

I have a late 2017 X100D. Driving dynamics,torque, speed are simply unmatched and are worth the shortcomings for me (mainly cabin storage space and second row armrests in the 6-seater). I’m amazed at how awesome the car feels just zipping around town on errands or on long road trips as a cruise missile. Having said that, I would love to see more useable space/shape and longer range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5JMJ
I was in this same boat. A little tired of my X’s cabin. I put down a deposit for a 2021 BMW X7 with all of the trimmings including the individual items. It was supposed to be delivered at the end of January/February depending on the timeline of hose options.

i got bored and headed to the dealership to test drive an X7 while I waited....

oh my... i did like the “back up” cameras that were able to move entirely around the vehicle. That was pretty smooth. Other than that, I felt like I had taken a step back into the stone age.

Everything was so bad! This is luxury?! It was going to be my first “luxury” vehicle and it was soooo bad. The captains chairs didn’t even fold/move when you press the max cargo button! I’ll skip over the rest of the complaints....

Who cares about all that subjective stuff though right? This is an SAV after all and it comes as the Ultimate Driving Machine! How does it drive?!
It was terrible beyond belief. My tesla is instant. I can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds. The BMW is still trying to get out of the parking lot while the Tesla is hitting the highway.

I wanted to add a gasoline car for family trips in the winter, but this one got the same range as the Tesla anyway. My hope is that the CyberTruck erases all range anxiety and is large enough to carry everyone. I will be waiting on that and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

I was in this same boat. A little tired of my X’s cabin. I put down a deposit for a 2021 BMW X7 with all of the trimmings including the individual items. It was supposed to be delivered at the end of January/February depending on the timeline of hose options.

i got bored and headed to the dealership to test drive an X7 while I waited....

oh my... i did like the “back up” cameras that were able to move entirely around the vehicle. That was pretty smooth. Other than that, I felt like I had taken a step back into the stone age.

Everything was so bad! This is luxury?! It was going to be my first “luxury” vehicle and it was soooo bad. The captains chairs didn’t even fold/move when you press the max cargo button! I’ll skip over the rest of the complaints....

Who cares about all that subjective stuff though right? This is an SAV after all and it comes as the Ultimate Driving Machine! How does it drive?!
It was terrible beyond belief. My tesla is instant. I can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds. The BMW is still trying to get out of the parking lot while the Tesla is hitting the highway.

I wanted to add a gasoline car for family trips in the winter, but this one got the same range as the Tesla anyway. My hope is that the CyberTruck erases all range anxiety and is large enough to carry everyone. I will be waiting on that and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Good news is that there are an increasing number of choices. But having looked at all of them, at least for now, I cannot imagine getting anything but a Tesla. When GM electrifies the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade line-up (and improves SuperCruise) then we can talk.

I hear you. All the supposed “luxury” features are so strongly outweighed by what makes a Tesla a Tesla for me, I can’t even begin to consider anything else ....

Now that said - we took our X on a family road trip this year, just about 7000 miles in 16 days. It was absolutely epic. Range anxiety wasn’t a thing at all; in fact, we enjoyed stopping every couple hours. Averaged a 15 minute stop every 2.5 hours or so. Got out, stretched legs, grabbed a drink, and got back on the road.

Completely changed our perception of long drives. All of us went from the “are we there yet?” mentality to “Cool, check that out!” sightseers.
I’m too young to remember the heyday of Route 66, but I imagine this is kinda what that was like. Taking the time to see the country. It was wonderful!

If I’m in a super hurry to get somewhere, I’ll break down and take a Boeing. Otherwise, trips in the X are the way we’re gonna do it from now on.