Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 years today with Tesla Solar and PW's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was the 3 year mark that our system was turned on. At the time we got a 30% Fed credit and a 25% NYS credit...... so essentially paid $20k for a $40k system. 6.6kw array on a single partially shaded south facing roof section. 2 Powerwalls, 7.6kw Delta inverter. 18.7MWh lifetime production.... 57% offset. almost exactly what Tesla estimated. We have net-metering so we have cut our annual utility bills in half. I could have put panels on another roof section but wanted to keep things simple. We have lots of grid outages here in rural NY.... including several multi-day outages. Zero issues. System has performed flawlessly. Couldn't be happier. As I've posted in the past, the weak link for me is ice and snow on the panels....but we've never gone dark..... knock on wood. I am not an early adopter....but this is why I bought TSLA stock 3 years ago (which has more than paid for my setup). Sorry if I sound like a shameless fan boi. Even the wife gives me mad props.

Great, thanks for the feedback.
You averaged 6.2mWh a year. Interesting, with that size system. Weather and shade must be your issue or just the shade?

I have a system about 3.8 kW and am able to do at least 6 megs a year for the past 10n years and a bit more. :)

The batteries are only a year and a half old.

i typed too fast.... I intended to state that at the time 3 years ago we were getting ready to spend $$$ on a Generac LP backup.... backup during grid outages being the sole motivation. That is why this is all icing on the cake for us.

Great, thanks for the feedback.
You averaged 6.2mWh a year. Interesting, with that size system. Weather and shade must be your issue or just the shade?

I have a system about 3.8 kW and am able to do at least 6 megs a year for the past 10n years and a bit more. :)

The batteries are only a year and a half old.
our house is on the side of a pretty steep mountain and the south facing roof section is facing the hillside. very heavily wooded with 50'+ tall trees. unfortunately we just don't get alot of direct sunlight here. that being said, i'm very happy with a 57% offset with net metering as it is all gravy as far as i'm concerned. i've enjoyed maintenance free backup power without having to spend a dime on LP or diesel.

Latitude, temperature and environment make big differences in solar production, NY is a bit further up with snow so it is reasonable to get lower production. My neighbor across the street has better production because of roof orientation and lack of tall trees and shading. The North facing roof of my daughter's house in Manhattan Beach has better production than my East facing roof. We just need to know what we are going to get and be happy.

How do you keep track of lifetime production?
My apple Tesla app shows today's production, week, month year and lifetime production available to see.
When you are on the power flow window select solar; displays energy usage for the day, for any one or all the four choices: home, solar, battery or grid.
That window shows today, click on it and get the options for time frames.