Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-30 ºC for more than 24 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first read that in the user manual, I thought "Pssh! No problem. It never gets that cold around here".

But then I went on a ski trip during the deep freeze over the holidays and we dipped below -30. I was worried since there was nowhere indoors I could park the car.

What if the car is plugged in though? Is it okay at that temperature if it's plugged in? Will the onboard charger keep things warm? The user guide doesn't say anything about that.

Does anyone know?

My S has sat outside in -30 and below many times, for multiple days at a time. I have always left it plugged in to a 120V outlet and it will use power to keep itself alive, the charge will drop a few percent and then it will charge back to the setpoint. Before leaving after a long cold soak I’ll run the climate for 30 or 45 min to get some heat in the battery before driving. Never an issue. When ICE cars around me don’t start because of the cold, I can just hop in and drive away. Love this car in the winter.