Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30-70 or 40-80?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is a healthier charge for the car's battery long term?

I'm going to guess 30-70 but if i were to drod to 20-70 that would be worse then 40-80 while dipping to 30-80?

I have an 84 Mike commute. But sometimes I end up going another 30-40 miles.

No charging at work.

If you pass the car down to your grandkids, they might be able to detect some small difference in it, but you probably won't in your lifetime. That's pretty insignificant fine tuning. But from a totally "ideal" perspective, anything closer to midpoint is apparently just a little better.

Reactions: outdoors
On my phone, according to accubattery
charging to 80% causes .12 wear cycles (this is 10x more wear despite it being an already low number)
charging to 70% causes .01 wear cycles.

According to these number If I keep the car for 10 years, it would have the same wear on the battery as a 1 year old car that charges to 80% every day.

wear cycle is the amount of wear that happens when you charge to 100%

The problem is it does not calculate wear from draining the battery to 30 or 40% or from age or heat of course.

• Disagree
Reactions: Graffi and TexasEV
Daily TeslaFi calendar says I range from 70-130 miles on any given day during a one week time frame for many months now. I kind to have to agree with @TexasEV even though he hasn't said a peep. Only because I think I know what he is thinking.:confused: Set it for what you need on your longest day will be so you don't sweat it, and forget it. Maybe 90%. I can hear the battery contingent ready to fire away. I have lost less than 2 miles of range after 22k, and that is within a margin of a screen rounding error. Maybe add a few extra % based on weather changes. Try not to limp home at zero. Want to maximize it. Well, not sure you will ever know the difference.

The 3 BMS has to be set up for extreme usage in my book. I think we are looking at the most resilient battery design and architecture. Not saying abuse it, but it might have been built for an EV moron to use. So set it and forget it as Ron Popeil would say.

On my phone, according to accubattery
charging to 80% causes .12 wear cycles (this is 10x more wear despite it being an already low number)
charging to 70% causes .01 wear cycles.

According to these number If I keep the car for 10 years, it would have the same wear on the battery as a 1 year old car that charges to 80% every day.

wear cycle is the amount of wear that happens when you charge to 100%

The problem is it does not calculate wear from draining the battery to 30 or 40% or from age or heat of course.

Most likely, this is inaccurate information for Tesla batteries in regards to effective wear cycles between SoC of 70% vs 80%.

The chemistry between Lithium-Ion Polymer batteries that most smartphones have these days is different from Tesla Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (Li-NiCoAlO2), aka NCA in the 2170 cells.

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee
@TexasEV you want a screenshot of my phone or something?
No, because your phone is irrelevant to driving a Tesla. Our Model S experience shows you don’t need to obsess over the battery. Even if there is a measurable difference after many years, there isn’t a practical difference. Charge it to 90% every night, let the battery management system manage the battery, and just enjoy your car.

Elon was asked this very question on twitter (90->40 or 80->30 when daily commute uses 50% of the battery). He said 80->30: Elon Musk on Twitter

Most important thing you can do to maximize battery life is keep it in the 20% to 90% state of charge range as much as possible. That doesn't mean don't charge to 100% before a trip and run it down to 10% on arrival, just time the charge to finish right before you leave, and plug in and charge to at least 20% ASAP after you get there.

If you want to be really obsessive, plan your charging and usage to keep the SOC averaged at 50%. Or don't obsess over it; it likely won't make much difference.

Reactions: Graffi