Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30.8 now sees roadwork speed limits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30.8 downloaded to my m3 a few days ago but I haven’t driven it until yesterday & noticed this.
Travelling south on the A34 a few miles north of Stafford there are roadworks limiting the speed from 60 to 40 mph, the usual temporary kerbside signs on the nearside & central reservation. There is also 2 minor roads joining the dual carriageway each having a 60 mph sign on the central reservation.
As I entered the roadworks the road speed on the screen changed to 40 & as I passed the minor roads it briefly changed to 60 then immediately back to 40.
I’ve never known the car recognise roadwork speed signs before, has anyone else noticed this. I now need to test it on the M6 where the “smart” lanes are being added.

I had noticed it showing road speed signs on the visualisation as I passed them, which means it must be recognising them at least. However I've not seen it do this with temporary signs. This tech is patented (by MobileEye I think) and worked really well on my last car (a Ford). I'd welcome it on the M3, if Tesla have found a way round the existing patent.

Kind of ironic that Tesla open sourced all their patents a few months ago, but this sort of safety critical feature is still proprietary. Whoever holds the patent should be ashamed of themselves.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve never known the car recognise roadwork speed signs before, has anyone else noticed this. I now need to test it on the M6 where the “smart” lanes are being added.

I've known the car read a speed limit off the back of a moving van!! Yes, you get that on non motorways but I believe the functionality is different, so it will be big news when motorway speed limits are recognised.

I noticed that some fixed motorway signs had started to be recognised several months back. eg, M25 CW to M3 J3 South/West there is a 50mph sign that the car visualises. I've not confirmed whether TACC changes as a direct result though as TACC changes a few times in that section irrespective of any signs. The worse is when still in a 50 zone that it suddenly ups the speed to 70 (probably GPS/map based [2 sections incorrectly tagged as 70 in OSM] as its not yet reached the 70 zone at that point although fixed 50 in that area is relatively new - it started as a temporary roadworks limit longer ago) so rapid scrolling of the speed limiter is needed. This section, and preceding one, is actually a 50 but listed as 70 in OpenStreetBrowser

Last edited:
It's amused me in the past to drive by truly huge pair of 40 mph temporary signage at the usual roadworks where no roadworkers can be spotted (unlike the animals on tonight's WinterWatch/BBC2) and the car to merrily continue on as though it was blind to them. Haven't noticed any difference with 2020.48.x yet.

Earlier/yesterday I was driving through a 40mph zone with the cruise control enabled past a school at 10pm, suddenly the car slams the brakes on, turns out it spotted a sign (20mph zone when lights flashing) and decided to change the cruise control from 40mph to 20mph.

I have only had the car 4 weeks, but I’m convinced this is the first time the normal base spec autopilot has done this to me, and I have checked my Tesla mate and I’m on firmware 2021.44.30.11

Does it see motorway roadwork signs, do you know?

Nope... I go through temporary motorway speed signs everyday and they are not recognised.

When I say temporary, they been up for over 2 years and will up be for another 2 years. So I'm not sure which will come first, the motorway upgrade or the motorway temporary speed limit recognition. I'll definitely know the moment any software update does read them.

As of today and version 2021.44.30.11.

• Informative
Reactions: Yachtsman
When visual speed sign detection was first rolled out [UK] 2020.36.x the release notes stated that it was for 'local roads'. As there is no useful definition of what a 'local road' actually was, and having local roads where visual signs were not being detected [UK] 2020.36.x I was quite mindful of trying to find what was and was not a, by the definition of the release notes, a 'local road'.

Temporary road works signs have always been detected right from day 1 in UK. [UK] 2020.36.x and [UK] 2020.36.x

As an FSD owner with NoA (navigate on autopilot), initially what became the common factor as to whether a stretch of road the signs were detected and visualised seemed to be aligned with whether NoA was available. If NoA was available, then that segment did not have visual speed sign recognition. If NoA was not available, speed signs were visually recognised. Whether the car honoured the speed limit was another matter entirely Car adjusting speed for Speed Limits ? which, like speed sign recognition, has seemed to functionally have changed slightly over time.

What now appears to have changed slightly is the definition of 'local road'. What I have noticed over the last few months or more is that some segments that are NoA enabled now also have speed signs that are visualised, including a set in one of my posts linked above, on an dual carriageway A road (A331 at Farnborough). In this particular case, the car is still blind to speed signs in some sections of the road. Another earlier post of mine mentioned a road sign on the M3 now being recognised when previously it was not. However, what is common to both these signs is that they are in reduced speed limit sections. The A331 signs in the 50mph section are now showing, but not those is the NSL section, yet both are NoA enabled segments. Similar is true of the M3 sign. It is in a 50mph intersection merge zone.

Whether this following empirical insight has any bearing on reality I do not know, unfortunately dates when behaviour changed is a little hazy, but on both (so not a great sample size) these instances, the speed limits on both those sections of road were changed over the past few years and only reflected in the last nav map update. As we know that the car does still uses the underlying GPS/map based speed limits as a fallback (such as when a speed sign is incorrectly recognised from a side road at a junction which is then quickly reverted to GPS/map based limit after passing the junction but before a visually recognised sign is reached New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8 / another post and and another) I wonder if ironically it is using GPS/map based hints as a trigger for whether it uses visual speed sign detection or not. Possibly it is that functionality that has changed, either in software or in map data?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: speedyranger74
Seems largely to come down to factors relating to mapping, in terms of detected dual carriageway as a non-local road to enable NoA and the associated temporary roadworks sign recognition. I've had these work on A47 for example, but in the A11 Elveden bypass only get single lane render, no NoA and no temporary sign recognition (the last time I passed by). May also be due to probable use by Tesla in Europe of an outdated UN/EU highways database of major road network from many years ago to mark up non-local roads against their navigation map data at the time. With my own still on 2019 like many.